No luck finding a good used guitar :(

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The modern bullets besmirch the name.
I had this, as my first decent electric guitar, around '84
1662387734539.png

1662387986152.png

I had a spoiled cousin who thought he'd take up guitar for a minute and his mother ran out and got him this, brand new. I ended up with it in very short time. It was great.

I miss it. I think having traded it in and then regretting it taught me to hold on to every guitar

I remember it's smell, with fondness

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Been on the lookout for a couple/few months for a good used electric. Only shopping locally, as I want to be able to play the guitar and check it out.

Went and looked at a promising sunburst Epiphone Traditional Pro Les Paul yesterday. I think I have the model name right? Beautiful guitar, and was in unplayed condition. I loved that the top was plain-- hate the fake veneer flame that Epiphone seems to do on so many burst LPs.

But the bridge pickup was either bad, or the switch was crapping out, but I'm not sure which. Sometimes the pickup sounded fully on, sometimes it sounded like half volume. The action felt like about 1/4" off the fretboard, which makes it sort of hard to determine how it's gonna feel and play. Price was ok, not great.

Having this sort of luck with every one of the guitars I've checked out recently. And almost no Teles, or you see a random 15 year old MIM standard for $500-600. Yikes.

I'm open to so many different models, and just not finding anything that works for me. Teles, PRS SEs, Les Paul styled guitars, Godins, certain Gretsches-- I would consider any of them. (just no Strats please haha)

Just sort of frustrating. Is it slim pickings for any of you where you live?

Buy used from GC's website.

I know you want to check it out in advance, but the game has changed- hear me out.

Shipping runs around $20 for a guitar. Check it out at home, on your own time, with your own rig. If you don't like it, return to your local GC store for a refund. If there was anything wrong with it or it was misrepresented in any way, you get your shipping cost back, too. I've done this many times, it's really easy and they don't hassle you over it.

If you have a GC store card, you get 5% back in store credit for every purchase, and you don't tie up your "real" credit if you need to buy and return a couple of times.

This gives you a MUCH larger pond to fish in, at no real risk.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
The modern bullets besmirch the name.
I had this, as my first decent electric guitar, around '84
View attachment 1024905
View attachment 1024906
I had a spoiled cousin who thought he'd take up guitar for a minute and his mother ran out and got him this, brand new. I ended up with it in very short time. It was great.

I miss it. I think having traded it in and then regretting it taught me to hold on to every guitar

I remember it's smell, with fondness

Wow, we had the exact same first guitar.

The neck from mine is on a Tele body now (those Bullets had Tele necks for some reason) and I still play it.

Salut!

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Been on the lookout for a couple/few months for a good used electric. Only shopping locally, as I want to be able to play the guitar and check it out.

Went and looked at a promising sunburst Epiphone Traditional Pro Les Paul yesterday. I think I have the model name right? Beautiful guitar, and was in unplayed condition. I loved that the top was plain-- hate the fake veneer flame that Epiphone seems to do on so many burst LPs.

But the bridge pickup was either bad, or the switch was crapping out, but I'm not sure which. Sometimes the pickup sounded fully on, sometimes it sounded like half volume. The action felt like about 1/4" off the fretboard, which makes it sort of hard to determine how it's gonna feel and play. Price was ok, not great.

Having this sort of luck with every one of the guitars I've checked out recently. And almost no Teles, or you see a random 15 year old MIM standard for $500-600. Yikes.

I'm open to so many different models, and just not finding anything that works for me. Teles, PRS SEs, Les Paul styled guitars, Godins, certain Gretsches-- I would consider any of them. (just no Strats please haha)

Buy a CV Telecaster direct from Fender.
Labor Day sale, $349.

I will say in today's current situation there is almost ZERO chance you will find a better deal on a used guitar.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted

If you haven't been: There are two pretty nice guitar stores in Gunnison....It could be a fun road trip at the least. I stumbled upon them 6 or7 years ago. I believe they are still going strong. One is the home of the Dobrato (a dabro with a tremlo) called Debrato Resophonic Guitars and the other is called Blue Mesa Music. There are many reasons to go to Gunnison for the weekend. The Tall Texan has cabins for the weekend. Nice and affordable 3.5 hour drive time

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
My experience finding good used guitars on Reverb has been overall positive.
Whatever route you go, make sure you find a local tech/luthier you trust going in.
Most used guitars have minor flaws that the original owners weren't patient or skilled enough to remedy.
A good tech can swap out pots, switches, jacks, tuners, pickups ...
Pretty much anything you need to make a bargain used guitar a keeper.
I have done this with an MIM Telecaster and a couple of Indonesian Hamers (LP Junior & Special).
Saved money up front by buying used.
Then if the pickups are weak and the tuners don't hold ... swap 'em out.
You might also look at G&L products in addition to Squier and Fender.
G&L's import guitars are amazingly well built and a joy to play.
And usually on sale somewhere.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
Lots of guitars. From what I see, all overpriced.
Maybe the sellers price high, so when the buyer offers low it will be what he really wants?
I think some of the ads are parents buying the beginner pack and the kid loses interest, so they price it to minimize their loss.

I just don't know why anyone would respond to an ad that offers a guitar for pretty much what it costs new.

mystichands

Tele-Meister

I live near steamboat springs and our only music store went out of business, sold to some fancy houseware outfit. We have a pawnshop that occasionally has a few way way overpriced used guitars. I’ve gone on “Swap Shop”, on the local Am radio to sell a guitar or two, but no takers. I’ve bought a few on eBay because I don’t want to drive to Denver over the mountains.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I find lots of good, slightly older MIJ guitars on CL around here.
Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn, Daion, Burny, Greco, Edwards, Tokai, Orville, Epiphone Elite or Elitist, Fender, etc.
The build quality, hardware and electronics, especially the late 70s-late 80s stuff is very good, and often priced between $500-1,000.
Good luck!
Gear is kind of hit or Miss up here north of Dallas. But you’re in prime territory for all kinds of goodies.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve got a MIM C-50s strat from 2007, IIRC, for sale. Probably 15-20 hours of playing time. I just can’t abide with a strat and hope it finds a good home

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted

Move to Los Angeles, it's a guitar buyer's paradise. I got my current axe on Reverb for less than half of retail, and it came with a hard case. I have bought and sold lots of gear here and always been happy with the outcome.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't like Squiers much (exception classic vibe and old Japanese ones) Every Bullet or Affinity I ever played , didn't leave a very favorable impression.
I’m with you. My daughter has a bullet. I spent a LOT of time fixing the frets and nut and setting it up well for her. She loves it because it’s red sparkle like one of Taylor Swift’s guitars. I think it’s an “ok” guitar for what they charge for it. But I have no interest in owning one myself.

As for your original post, I noticed when I lived out there in Denver that the used market was pretty sad compared to what I was used to. I had the guys in the band I was playing with look up CL here in Cleveland so they could see the difference and they were blown away.

I can’t remember where it was now, but I did find a music go round somewhere just south of Denver, maybe? They had a great selection of used guitars and amps and really fair pricing. I used to shop there a lot. Maybe check their website and see? Might make for a fun afternoon drive if they had several things you wanted to check out.