No luck finding a good used guitar :(

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Been on the lookout for a couple/few months for a good used electric. Only shopping locally, as I want to be able to play the guitar and check it out.

Went and looked at a promising sunburst Epiphone Traditional Pro Les Paul yesterday. I think I have the model name right? Beautiful guitar, and was in unplayed condition. I loved that the top was plain-- hate the fake veneer flame that Epiphone seems to do on so many burst LPs.

But the bridge pickup was either bad, or the switch was crapping out, but I'm not sure which. Sometimes the pickup sounded fully on, sometimes it sounded like half volume. The action felt like about 1/4" off the fretboard, which makes it sort of hard to determine how it's gonna feel and play. Price was ok, not great.

Having this sort of luck with every one of the guitars I've checked out recently. And almost no Teles, or you see a random 15 year old MIM standard for $500-600. Yikes.

I'm open to so many different models, and just not finding anything that works for me. Teles, PRS SEs, Les Paul styled guitars, Godins, certain Gretsches-- I would consider any of them. (just no Strats please haha)

Just sort of frustrating. Is it slim pickings for any of you where you live?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I find lots of good, slightly older MIJ guitars on CL around here.
Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn, Daion, Burny, Greco, Edwards, Tokai, Orville, Epiphone Elite or Elitist, Fender, etc.
The build quality, hardware and electronics, especially the late 70s-late 80s stuff is very good, and often priced between $500-1,000.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Greenmachine

Tele-Afflicted
Those problems with the epiphone wouldn't be deal breakers for me. You could negotiate/factor in the price of a set up and some soldering etc.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yamaha, Ibanez, Washburn, Daion, Burny, Greco, Edwards, Tokai, Orville, Epiphone Elite or Elitist, Fender, etc.
The build quality, hardware and electronic, especially the late 70s-late 80s stuff is very good, and often priced between $500-1,000.
Good luck!

Man I had a Burny LP Custom probably 20 years ago, one of the nicest LPs I've ever owned. Even had the binding covering the edges of the frets. Wish I'd never sold it!

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Those problems with the epiphone wouldn't be deal breakers for me. You could negotiate/factor in the price of a set up and some soldering etc.

She wouldn't budge on the price. I don't like buying a guitar that isn't at least marginally playable. Didn't look like there was much room to go on lowering the bridge to get the action down (relief was nice and flat, so I don't think the trussrod needed adjusting). So it may have needed a new nut and a new pickup, and/or switch. No bueno.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
The pickings on Atlanta CL and FBMP are slim. Mostly overpriced, modded stuff that stays on there forever. Lots of fake ads also. Asking price for MIM Teles is generally around 600. I look almost every day. I don't need a guitar but if something interesting shows up I might bend. lol Good luck in your search.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Been on the lookout for a couple/few months for a good used electric. Only shopping locally, as I want to be able to play the guitar and check it out.

Went and looked at a promising sunburst Epiphone Traditional Pro Les Paul yesterday. I think I have the model name right? Beautiful guitar, and was in unplayed condition. I loved that the top was plain-- hate the fake veneer flame that Epiphone seems to do on so many burst LPs.

But the bridge pickup was either bad, or the switch was crapping out, but I'm not sure which. Sometimes the pickup sounded fully on, sometimes it sounded like half volume. The action felt like about 1/4" off the fretboard, which makes it sort of hard to determine how it's gonna feel and play. Price was ok, not great.

Having this sort of luck with every one of the guitars I've checked out recently. And almost no Teles, or you see a random 15 year old MIM standard for $500-600. Yikes.

I'm open to so many different models, and just not finding anything that works for me. Teles, PRS SEs, Les Paul styled guitars, Godins, certain Gretsches-- I would consider any of them. (just no Strats please haha)

You're in a good spot really. Just play the perfectly good guitar you already have, bide your time and wait. Restring it and put some more hours on it. A used guitar will come to you before you know it. I decided I needed a new used strat, I wanted a black strat with a maple neck, I bought a American Deluxe from GC in colorado over the internet. I hated it instantly and returned it, it felt flat, sounded flat and thuddy, it smelled like tobacco, it was kind of chipped up. The case had been repaired around the hinges with bondo. I decided I wasn't going to string and set it up.

When I returned it I saw a black strat maple neck, a squire, all covered with stickers and EVH style electrical tape for $200. I looked a little closer, I saw it had hipshot locking tuners with custom knobs on it, It had replacement pickups. I liked the way it played. When we opened it up, it had Friedman pickups in it. I took all the stickers off of it, rubbed it down with a little goo gone. Turned out to be a classic vibe and a nice strat, black on black with a late 60s style, non bullet, kind of skinny, maple neck, just like I wanted.

My point being, if you wait, you'll encounter a guitar that makes you want to buy it. I usually know if I love or hate a guitar in about 10 seconds. I have been in position of only having a guitar I pretty much hate, but it's always made me grow as a player, after some time.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Don't dismiss Squier Bullet Teles and Strats. Amazing for the $$ ($130 for me on sale at the time, a bit more now). Go to GC and find a keeper. I was playing mine last night and said to myself "self, if this was my only electric I could be very satisfied!"

Bullet before mods.jpg
Another amazing value ($119) is the Epiphone LP Special with either humbuckers or P90s.

Epiphone LP Special II full.jpg

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity

My area has lots of used guitars but high asking prices vs the dealer shopping I just did with my son.

If you are not planning on spending more Tham $500-$600. FYI, I was really impressedwith how much better Squier guitars are since the last one I had and they are up to 25% off this weekend. The Jaguar my son got is a while lot of fun for the price. Other models are nice.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Assemble one Colo E, that way You get what YOU WANT - All Parts, Musikraft,
and so forth.
In these last two years I've seen some
incredible instruments.
BY FAR, my favorite is Noventa Tele with
a HUGE Musikraft "D" Neck with the bigger shoulders ala a 1st generation
Jeff Beck Signature but with a bone but.
...under $700.00 You read that right.

If I was looking for an Epiphone I'd be searching for a circa 2010 Les Paul Special with the P-90's (those are of SUPERIOR QUALITY) that can keep up
to an Eastman.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Like @brookdalebill said, CraigsList usually has a ton of guitars......some have been on there so long (literally years) I can recite their text and descriptions by heart. Usually over-priced, though.
Colorado Springs has a Guitar Center store at 535 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80909.......they may want the "higher-end used price".....but they won't try to charge $1000 for a $400 guitar, like some on CL. Plus, if there's an issue with something, (like the bad pickup you describe) they may be able to fix it before you buy. They can also address set-up.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Like @brookdalebill said, CraigsList usually has a ton of guitars......some have been on there so long (literally years) I can recite their text and descriptions by heart. Usually over-priced, though.
Colorado Springs has a Guitar Center store at 535 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80909.......they may want the "higher-end used price".....but they won't try to charge $1000 for a $400 guitar, like some on CL. Plus, if there's an issue with something, (like the bad pickup you describe) they may be able to fix it before you buy. They can also address set-up.

Yeah I missed out on a used PRS SE a month or so ago. By the time I got back over there, gone. That's on me. They do have some decent used stuff from time to time.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity

Too bad they wouldn't negotiate on price. Given that the guitar is broken, probably from neglect, they should have been willing to do so. This kind of stuff isn't that difficult to fix in most cases, if you're so inclined. One issue I've seen with "neglected in the closet" Epiphones and the switch is that it blades get bent enough from metal fatigue to no longer make good contact. This can often be fixed by gently bending it back into place or, better yet, replacing it with a better quality switch.

Keep on looking and be patient. Something good will probably turn sooner or later.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
The build quality, hardware and electronics, especially the late 70s-late 80s stuff is very good, and often priced between $500-1,000.
Good luck!

For some reason, the used guitar market in Texas seems to be the most active with best deals and selection. I don't know why that is but from everything I've seen online, that's the case.