1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

no love for tele customs?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dani, May 12, 2011.

1. dani

dani TDPRI Member

pics or it didn't happen! :D

2. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

I had a 76 that I loved. It came butchered with a bill Lawrence strat pickup in the bridge and a jerry rigged humbucker in the neck. Plus a mounting rig screwed to the pick guard. The bridge was an Allparts model.
    I installed a 62 reissue bridge with a custom shop nocaster pickup. And a 70's gibson humbucker in the neck position. I even rewired the guitar using 500K's and a .02 cap and the stock 250's with a .05 cap for the fender side. It was a great set up. I loved it, but needed money and sold it.
    I always thought of them as a best of both worlds kinda set up.

3. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd like to know what other people with Gibson PUPs in the neck position think because I've never been sure it was a case of original WRHB = great or whether it was just the interesting mix of sharp/twangy Tele Bridge and any old smooth/fat HB together. With a few milliseconds of delay added in its like having two guitars but the trick is fiddling around to get the balance right.

FWIW I've not tried the re-issues but I've hankered after trying one with say a Gibson HB in the neck just to compare. IIRC that's what Fender commisioned Seth Lover to do since people were chopping up Gibsons for the pups and shoving them into Teles prior to Fender producing them.

4. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

I just stuck a 70's Gibson mini humbucker in the neck of my Road Worn Custom RI... it sounds great! I just ordered the pickguard for it today, so it'll look better soon lol

Attached Files:

5. TeleCustom

TeleCustom TDPRI Member

I have two 62 AVRI's. Candy apple red and ocean turquoise.

Made 2 partscasters with 62 RI bodies also. Used Japan bodies and the rest is US Fender parts.

Love the double binding

6. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

youbetcha...have 3 Bacchus models...a natural ash, a 3 tone burst and this black one into which I put Duncan Antiquities, plays great, extremely well built and sounds fabulous...whats not to like.

[​IMG]

7. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

Nice. These are Custom Teles though, not Telecaster customs... I do love the binding on a Custom Tele, I've always wanted a Surf Green one!

8. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm a "standard Tele" guy. I don't really care for Customs... Deluxes... Thinlines... etc.

Did I just get myself blacklisted??? :D

9. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

10. K-Line

K-Line Tele-Holic Vendor Member

If you want to go hum in a tele neck position, this is the best way. I have one cooking with a Lollar Regal and Lollar Special. Big tone!

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Hideous monstrosities that look like they were designed by the work-experience kids from the local school. Sorry, that's very unfair to school kids.

12. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I really want to like them but I always hit my hand on the pickup switch (I have the same problem with Les Pauls). I guess I should stop flailing at the guitar so much!

13. LAZARE

LAZARE TDPRI Member

here is mine, road worn RI.
    PUs have been rewound by at the creamery,
    I changed the pots to 500K, also changed the saddles
    and last but not least, moved the switch nearby pots
    and installed a 'custom' pickguard.

Attached Files:

14. JuSteve

JuSteve Former Member

FWIW I've not tried the re-issues but I've hankered after trying one with say a Gibson HB in the neck just to compare. IIRC that's what Fender commisioned Seth Lover to do since people were chopping up Gibsons for the pups and shoving them into Teles prior to Fender producing them.

I put Epiphone "PAF's" in my Squier TC. I has a pleasant squawk without the rock bottom LP undertone, I suppose because of the lighter build. I get a natural distortion without pedals using the guitar knobs, alone.

15. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

Alrighty, here she is... I'm actually thinking of doing a refin, since I really do miss the metallic LPB. The color is closer to that which appears in the second to last pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like em. Idiosyncratic and fiddly to get the mix between the pups right but there are quite a few decent sounds to be had once I got the hang of it.

Here's my 1974 Tele Custom:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.