no love for tele customs?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dani, May 12, 2011.

1. dani

dani TDPRI Member

tempted to assemble one and been wondering why are they not as common.

any love for tele customs?

2. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

YES!

3. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Well, I have a '72RI ... love mine. But I'm a Tele-slut. I love all my Teles.

The thing I like about the Custom is the ability to 'blend' the pickups to balance between the neck HB and the bridge.

I did replace my bridge PU with a Duncan. And when I feel up to it, I may get one of those custom WideRange HBs for the neck (the one made by the fellow on TDPRI whose name is escaping my pre-travel fried brain).

4. Dagfan

Dagfan TDPRI Member

Tele Customs are great. If I get a third Tele that is one I would like.

5. tom2caster

tom2caster Former Member

I hope you are talking about the second generation with the humbucker in the neck. The single coil models from '59 to '71 aren't common either.

Tele Customs are fun guitars, I've got a '73 and a '78. I like the classic Tele neck (Deluxes have a flatter radius and larger frets) and the humbucker in the neck.

Having 2 volumes and 2 tones is an adjustment if you're used to just 1 of each. I use a volume pedal and try to leave the controls alone after getting it set to taste.

And it's real hard to get the bridge to match the neck pickup in volume, but if you're building one you can rout the neck pickup cavity a little deeper and possibly solve that.

That said the middle position has a great sound, and I spend a lot of time on the neck pickup.

They were only made from '72 to '81 (not counting reissues), that may be why they're not that common. Those years used to and still have a poor reputation.

Good luck if you decide to build one.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  6. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

First or second generation? I have two bound customs ala early 60's. Love'em!

7. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

The double bound, double single coil models are called "Custom Telecaster," whereas the models with a wide range humbucker in the neck, huge pickguard, and Les Paul control layout are called "Telecaster Custom." I love Tele Customs!

8. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

I have a fever that only more Telecaster Custom can cure.

Right now, I am "this close" to building one of those mofos.

I love those damn things.

9. dani

dani TDPRI Member

yup, i am talking about tele customs with the big pickguard with the wide range humbucker. thinking of either a mini-humbucker or p-90 in the neck.

should be a fun build.

10. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I used to have a 77 Tele Custom, but it fell into disuse when I found my #1.

11. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I like the look if the 70's custom and all of the variations, but I have only played the reissue. I think the wrhb is not a good pickup. I hear the original is much better.

12. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Lots of love for the tele custom here. I have a 75 custom that I bought in 81 (black, maple neck "Keef"). All original except for a refret. I play it regularly and gigged it last Saturday. A GREAT sounding guitar. 99% of the time I play it with in the middle position with both pickups on with the bridge volume at 8.5 and the neck volume at 7.5. When I want a fatter lead sound I turn up the humbucker volume. For a twangier solo I turn up the bridge volume, but the selecter switch stays in the middle. There is nothing like the sound of an original WRH, through the stock 1meg pots--fat but chimey, with great note definition. The blend of the original WRH and the super bright, fairly low output bridge pickup is magic. The re-issue WRH pickups with the stock 250k pots sound like mud to me, and nothing like the original WRH.

13. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

keith_richards-1.jpg

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to own this one. Its original, but not sure of exact year. I bought it used in 78.

Attached Files:

• Lex.jpg
      Lex.jpg
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
  15. jakatone

jakatone Tele-Meister

"Cats" custom tele

Attached Files:

16. JASS

JASS TDPRI Member

I just got a Logan tele custom, and it sounds absolutely terrific!

17. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

Here is my friends 1974. Nice and light too at 7lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Gypsy Eyes

Gypsy Eyes TDPRI Member

Customs are badass - all black with a rosewood neck.

19. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

I have a maple necked 74 which sounds amazingly heavy. It's party piece is out-metalling my kids' EMG'd guitars which never fails to annoy them. That neck pick-up completely out powers the bridge but with some fiddling they sound great together and there are all sorts of interesting variations a bit either side.

20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've said several times that the Tele Custom has only two usable sounds for live performance. Neck, and neck/bridge. Some miught think thats limiting. They should talk to people who play Esquires!

The neck sound, and the neck/bridge sound is truly amazing on these guitars. Installing a super hot bridge pickup will only compromise the neck/bridge sound and produce a tone that is somewhat foreign to the rest of the guitar in the bridge only position.

Taken for what they are, the Tele Custom is a great guitar when you have the right neck WRHB neck pickup in it. The re-issue pickups just don't cut it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.