1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No-load mod your guitar/bass tone or blender pot (2014)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rob DiStefano, Feb 23, 2014.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

@MatsEriksson it seems to me that it should be possible, but maybe not with nail polish.

The nail polish creates a small spot where the wiper lifts away from the resistive track - not what you want for a volume control.

Instead, I'd suggest ordering a couple of pots in the value you want that include a "center detent."

Then you might be able to figure out how to move the detent mechanism from the center to the all-the-way-up position. It's been a while since I took one of these apart so I forget how they work.

If you can only find the detented pot with the wrong taper, you may be able to get a similar non-detented pot with the correct taper and switch wafers.

Center detent pots are common in volume controls and EQs.

There are also pots with a bunch of click detents, maybe you can open up one of those and get rid of all the clicks except the last one?

MatsEriksson likes this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that may be a possibility Tubegeek. The 6 way switch leaves me with that I have to choose one pickup only to work through both VOL and TONE knobs. If the bypass is at the vol pot it works equally for all pickups.

Actually, I do have one on my basses, and I tried to remove it temporarlly (it was an active EQ) and just put it in place, and turn on it inside, to check if the detent was enough to keep it from be knocked out of position, I did just as a physical test, mechanical, so nothing was soldered. It worked so, so... sometimes it stayed sometimes not. Then one can wonder how long it takes before that "dent" is worn out, if it's ever going to be.

3. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I got a 3 hole switchplate for my Tele
    and added a Dpdt on/on mini toggle switch to bypass the volume and tone pots. At a flick of a switch you go from regular settings to true bypass without having to mess with any knobs. I like it a lot.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  4. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

All this with added switches to bypass any pots is probably the greatest and most effective solution, but I only have so much space and already crowded enough with 3 Joe Barden Engineering pickups, HSH. Humbuckers with 7 wires each protruding out from them goes to different swtiches, pull/push pots and 5 way switches. I don't know what more to fit in there, hence my wonderings.

5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Missing no-load images ...

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

step6.jpg

step7.jpg

step8.jpg

step9.jpg

step10.jpg

jayhaknavy02, bender66 and BB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.