No-load mod your guitar/bass tone or blender pot (2014)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rob DiStefano, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

it's that little 1/8" strip between the copper and carbon that's been scraped away ... i put a red dot on that scraped strip.

[​IMG]

2. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

It's been a few weeks, not positive about what lugs, but there are only 3 so process of elimination will get you a reading (middle and one of the ends if memory serves). Set the meter to k ohms and rotate the arm, you'll see it. You can test your meter..hold the two probes together should be 0 ohms, apart is infinite ohms (overload / OL on a Fluke meter).

EDIT: Hey Rob, love the Fat Lion, thanks.

3. Rob DiStefano

just go back to page 1 of this thread and follow the sequence of images ... mirror what yer doing with yer pot with each of the images, one at a time. it all works too easy, promise!

4. chainsaw

chainsaw Tele-Meister

You can buy those no load pots for under 10 bucks. Save a lot of time and frustration.

5. Rob DiStefano

"save time and frustration"? really? you see this as that difficult a pot mod? yikes! guess not everyone can make this mod happen, sorry.

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I hear you Rob. You've been beyond helpful. I can't seem to get a reading with my cheapo meter that tells me anything different from an un-modded pot of the exact same. The mod is very easy, IMO, & I got the pots for well under $10.

The iron is hot & I'm heading to the bench.

7. Rob DiStefano

probably best if i do a quick video, hopefully post it here today. :cool:

8. Rob DiStefano

the no-load pot mod video ... you might wanna view it larger within youtube.

gkterry likes this.
  9. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Rob - great ideas....great explanation....great vid.

I was gonna order a pre-wired Mojotone Strat Blender harness....then I decided I'd just order a Fralin-branded blender pot...

If you say there is nothing special about a blender pot other than the fact that it should be a no-load...I'll try this.

I don't care about a few bucks...I just wanna get my feet in a little deeper.

Thanks for this!

Tom

10. Rob DiStefano

functionally, all no-loads do the same thing. a commercial no-load pot might have a detent, so you can feel it snap in and deliver maximum resistance, thats something i can do without.

11. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Thanks Rob!

After I get this Strat to my liking....I've got two spectacular alder Tele bodies custom made for me by RogerC....a fellow member here.

I'm gonna change the pickup routs and try some Cavaliers in them...with three pups and blenders.

Talk soon.

Cheers,
    Tom

12. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Slightly off topic, but I've sometimes taken pots apart to clean them. If you follow Rob's detailed instructions, you can clean up the carbon track with an eraser or similar and get good results. I don't like contact cleaner as they tend to make a dirt soup, and when the solvents evaporate the muck is left behind. Contact cleaner doesn't magic away the dirt, but a careful demolition job does work. You may wish to vary how you clean up the track.

13. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Very cool idea, thanks.

14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I use 500K pots w singles. When the no-load fad hit I did a switch to negate the tone. 0 difference. The loading must be at the 250K level. I believe folks are hearing a difference, but bigger pots will negate it. Also w bigger pots you can dial in the best load for the p-up which is usually more than the standard 250K circuits.

15. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i did that with some pots of some older amps and most of them turned out good. but some have some kind of damage that can't be cleaned

16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

still happy with this mod i used on one of my guitars, somehow the tonepot gets more credit and used.

i have a 2 pickups guitar, humbucker bridge L500XL, single coil noiseless neck L280
    1 vol, 1 no load tone pot with the help off this topic

wiring with 4 way N>N+B>B>N+B series and a miniswitch that can
    serie/parallel the humbucker so it still stays noiseless in semi single coil parallel sound.
    thank you Rob:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.