No, just No

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
As per "No," I just met with some folks who run a volunteer outfit here in town.
They have an INCREDIBLY AMBITIOUS AGENDA.
And they want someone to come in and do everything from writing news releases to meeting with sponsors, setting up events, etc.
Did I mention FOR FREE?
I'm semi-retired, and yeah, you could say I "have the time," but I have worked my rump off for lo these many years to get some peace and quiet ...
Did I mention FOR FREE???

So I got another chance to practice saying "No."

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
When do you feel the need to say no?

As I have aged I find I use it more than I say yes. It usually revolves around spending for me. GAS is gone. Paying someone to do things I can still do is also gone. I actually feel better saying no to myself. Perhaps it comes from too many years of saying yes.
I think you are correct in your last sentence. I spent way too many years agreeing to things that I really didn't want to do and now relish in saying "no" and meaning it. It can be very liberating.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Daisy at four months old is beginning to answer to "NO".

Attachments

• Daisy11.jpg
    Daisy11.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 5

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I used to know an old hunter named John, not TDPRI John, Bakersfield John. Anyway, John was a wily old hounds-man who knew the mountains, hunting and dogs. People would ask him to go hunting with them, hoping to learn from him. His standard answer was no. If pressed as to why he didn't to go, he'd say because I don't like you. That kind of NO just hangs in the air, with no place to go.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
One important thing (but I can’t always practice): no is a complete sentence. Further explanation isn’t necessary.

Someone 'round these parts has that as their sig, along with "If you don't understand, blame your parents". I always liked that.

I used 'no' today. Seems like everywhere I go now there are panhandlers in parking lots accosting people as they shop. So when I start hearing "Excuse me sir... Excuse me..." I pull out my best cranky old man voice and start saying "NO.... NO.... NO.... NO...."

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
I find as I have aged saying no has become easy. I think I'm a reasonable man. Of course my wife ,my daughters, my grand kids, and even the dogs don't hear it from me as much as they should. My wife drives me nuts, because she has the hardest time just saying no. If she is paying for something at a cash register and the clerk asks if she would like to donate, open a credit card, etc., she goes into a whole explanation on why she can't at this time. She will even will tell a white lie other than just say no. She has a hard time saying no to her sisters, her coworkers, and then she complains to me. I try to get her to practice. I'll say "say it with me, it's easy. No.No.No". Of course, she can easily say no to me. :)

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
The older I get the more I feel like...

"No" is a complete sentence.
It does not require justification or explanation.

Of course, the older I get, the better I recognize things I NEED to be saying yes to... important things. So many "things" in life are not truly important.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
When do you feel the need to say no?

As I have aged I find I use it more than I say yes. It usually revolves around spending for me. GAS is gone. Paying someone to do things I can still do is also gone. I actually feel better saying no to myself. Perhaps it comes from too many years of saying yes.
I have wasted a LOT of time by saying Yes to the wrong things.
Lessons learned make it easier for me to say No.