No Guitar in Sight! Guitar withdrawal distress syndrome

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by t-ray, Sep 21, 2019.

1. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic

I am in day 2 of a visit with my mother, and I am in suffering from guitar withdrawal distress syndrome ( I just made that term up). My 89 year-old mom is a wonderful lady who loves her son, and I am really happy to be here with her. But I can't wait to get home to get my hands on my guitars. Has been a long time since I went even an entire day without picking one up. I wonder if there is a guitar store nearby ...
    How long can you go without withdrawal symptoms?

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can go maybe a couple days if I have to. Longer than that and I take a guitar with me to wherever it is i'm going.

I like to play daily and skipping a few days can easily turn into months before you realize it so it's best to keep a routine. That same routine helps me to keep progressing/ learning too or at least maintain my chops.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I often make 'errand runs' during visits out of town that include stopping at guitar shops to play for a while. I can't imagine being gone for two weeks and not having a guitar. I'd go nuts.

4. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

+1
    I hear you, t-ray. Am able to bring a guitar or other instrument most places; my current go-to travel guitar for air travel is a Portuguese cavaquinho that fits under the seat in front of you on the plane. But when I can't bring along something my picking hand starts to ache for playing after acoupla days.

Bet you could build a guitar out of items your Mom has laying around the house. ;)

Fretting out, t-ray, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like my guitars, but am addicted to golf. I would have to go somewhere and rent some clubs if I had to be away from playing for more than a few days. This isn't something new. In 1991 I hit five hundred balls a day on the range, and played at least one round of golf a day for a year. I'm over that particular itch, but addictions aren't necessarily all chemical related. I once played eleven rounds in a week, and three of those rounds were tournament games.

To this day, I have a putting device in front of our fireplace and a putter leaning on a stand by my easy chair. All during the day, I will stop and putt a few balls, drives my dog crazy. My wife crabs at me for chipping in the back yard, but hey, a guy has to keep his short game sharp. I have chipped so many balls in my life I can chip in the yard and not leave a mark on the lawn. I can hit high flop shots and never have one go over the fence. Of course I COULD quit anytime, I just don't want to.

6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

Even though I don't play out much/at all, it feels weird to be away from a neck for extended time.
    But it also feels weird to make acommodation for the pack-along guitar, as though I'm signalling there will be an impromptu "performance" at some point.
    Don't want to be "that guy" who requires extra attention at a party, giving his recital of Wonderwall . . .

Fretting out, stratoman1 and t-ray like this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Psychiatrist wonders when this started

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

for many people, a week or two away from the instrument works wonders. When you get back to it, all will be well. Spend your away-time thinking about what you wish you could play, but haven't tried yet.

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've been without a guitar for at least a month now and it's getting to me I have to admit.

brookdalebill, Toto'sDad and t-ray like this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I was in the reserve, seeking out an axe was part of the drill. Local music stores or eventually I found an active duty member who would leave one on station.

t-ray likes this.
  11. Prototype

Prototype TDPRI Member

This is why I have a $20 sop ukulele with me all the time. Great when traffic is at a standstill.

12. Toto'sDad

Don't trust 'em. One step removed from a witchdoctor. One time one of 'em in a casual conversation in a bar asked me if I see things others don't? Well yeah, I answered. He said what do you see, I said, when I'm getting ready to haul a road grader out to a job, I notice the left front tire is low, that's gonna make cutting grade very difficult and have the shop boys fix it. What were you talking about?

t-ray likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

So when do you get out? :D

14. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

For me sometimes a few days off is good because when I come back to it I find that my fingers are less locked into the same old licks and things and I approach it with a slightly different mindset.

If I can’t play and it’s bothering me I will make a list of guitar goals on paper like a list of songs to learn, weakness I want to practice, etc. sometimes I like to work off of paper like writing out scales or practicing intervals and new chord voices. Sometimes I draw the fretboard and plot things like a grid so I can find more inversions and secrets of the fretboard.

javiersson and t-ray like this.
  15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I often stay at my sister's house and have really missed the late night strumming. Also at my son's house.
    I have a pair of matching Epi AJ220s that I've considered leaving at their houses, but that seems a little pretentious.

Golf too, but hey, I've never had that bug as bad as @Toto'sDad .

t-ray and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

That's when I break out my fretboard note printouts and a highlighter. I learn tons about the guitar by finding the major/minor thirds, the individual notes (all the A,B,C,D,E,F,G notes on the fretboard), CAGED patterns, scale patterns, etc. It's not like playing, but it definitely brings a sharpness to my playing when I get a guitar back in my hands. It beats TV sitcoms too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    t-ray likes this.
  17. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

I used to think a few days away from the guitar was good for me. As I've got older I find my hands and fingers start to stiffen up after a few days away especially on classical which is my main interest I guess. I always take a guitar on trips. I don't fly, which helps.

t-ray likes this.
  18. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

There is always a cheap classical nearby in a fleamarket or gumtree if cold turkey gets bad

19. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I'm going through the same thing. Out of town for work, 10 days so far.

I've been hitting music stores in my free time to just look at guitars and amps.... Looking forward to getting home.

t-ray likes this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

of course.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.