1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No guitar has been good enough (teeth-gnashing rant)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Over 52 years of electric guitar playing, I have had multiple Les Pauls, 335s, Strats, Teles, archtops, flattops, some of the finest and coolest guitars ever.

And gotten rid of almost all of them, one year or another. There was something I didn't like about the blond 335, for example, back in 1990, though I don't remember what it was. So I had to get rid of it...

I have four electrics now - one excellent, two mediocre, one a cheap kit build.

I am forced to conclude that I am, and have always been, an idiot.

(rant end)

2. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Don't sweat it. Maybe you like to try new things and it's not really the fault of the guitars. Lemmy warned us that the chase is better than the catch...

At least, that's what I tell myself as I constantly churn through new things.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

They are just guitars. Of the 17 I have owned I have six now, so that is a 35% satisfaction rate.

uriah1 and Electric Warrior like this.
  4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Cycling through guitars is better than cycling through spouses. I'd rather do this than cheat on my wife.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've come to realize that it's not the guitar that's lacking talent...

thunderbyrd, imwjl, DaveGo and 9 others like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I once had a guitar that was so not my thing, I "accidentally forgot" to pack it when I separated from the Navy & left it in the basement of the house I rented in Brunswick, ME. It played okay, I guess, but there was something that just didn't jive. Sometimes it's best to just walk away. I don't even remember what brand it was other than a 335 copy.

7. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Sounds like a Gretsch Penguin might deserve a turn in the barrel. I'm assuming you have rifled through a few amps as well.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Funny, I've only got rid of a handful, one of which I would like to take another shot at.
    I don't care about perfect, most of mine are not the color I'd love. My criteria when buying are that it plays great, intonates really well and stays in tune. A lot of that can be fixed afterward, but it's worked for me buying that way. I always play a whole bunch before buying though, and definitely take my time.

9. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I concluded that I was an idiot without even bringing my guitar ownership into the equation.

10. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Get a banjo.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Or, more to the point, it's not the guitar that doesn't practice....

Dereksys38, JRapp and bgmacaw like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I call myself an idiot everyday after some sort of blunder.

Guitarwise though, I have only sold one guitar that I had not completely worn out and were not worth the investment to refret.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I was 15, I traded a 1968 Candy Red Tele for a Jackson. Talk about an idiot. Although, at that time, only the pre-CBS guitars were really valuable. Still.

Much later, I had a 1990 USA '62 Reissue Strat. It didn't play great, and needed some work. It was my only electric for a number of years. Then, I built a couple of partscasters, and decided I didn't need it anymore. I sold it during the recession 14 years ago, along with a 1970 Princeton Reverb. I regret selling both.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

It’s not you. It’s GAS.

15. Hibernian

Hibernian TDPRI Member

And don't play it.

Fendereedo and Dereksys38 like this.
  16. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Keep the excellent one forever, and get rid of the rest.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years, not looking for the holy grail, just looking to get something better. I'm down to two acoustics that I just love, two electrics that fall into the same category, a mandolin and a dulcimer. The others have gone away and I don't miss them. Will I ever get the holy grail? I don't know but I'm not actively looking. I've discovered that there are things more important to me right now so I'll leave the search to others. You know that the guitar building industry doesn't rely on new players to buy instruments but it relies on us coming back time after time buying new gear, right?

18. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ouch , you just got me

Dereksys38 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Guitars are really, really desirable BEFORE purchasing them. Usually, after I have them for a month, a year, even a couple of years, or in some cases even longer, I start nitpicking at them for perceived faults. Then when I've insulted them to the point they sulk, and refuse to have anything to do with me, I get rid of them. THEN, I immediately wish that I had them back. THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH GUITARS.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  20. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve got 14 and they’re all still up on the wall! I will work around the quirks of a guitar just to challenge and improve myself. Of those 14 only one had an Ebony board and I prefer Ebony by a long shot. Guess what? I still play the hell out of the rest! Get rid of your preferences and go to the store and feel around. Take a chance on something different. Enjoy the quirks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.