1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Feb 29, 2020.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

My neighbor lady; lives alone and has some medical issues which keeps her from doing anything physical around the house. My wife and I help her as much as possible. Two nights ago her power went out. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find anything obvious. Told her to call the electric company to see if it was on their end (she's on a different box than us.). They came out told her she needed to upgrade her main box and master fuses as they were too old. The houses in this area are vintage 1950's and while most have been upgraded over the years, hers still has really old circuitry. They managed to reset the fuses but told her to call an electrician.

I gave her the name of our electrician; who I have used over the years, is very reliable and I believe is fair. She called him out and he wanted $2K to replace the main box and all the fuses. She decided to go with a friend of a friend's recommendation and he quoted $1K.

He came out today, had the power company turn off her power, removed the old box and fuses and said he had to go get parts. He showed up about 5:00PM and told her he couldn't get hold of his Master Electrician and couldn't finish the job. Turns out he wasn't licensed. He left her with the parts and she's out $500 down payment (cash). She called the electrician I suggested and he said he wouldn't finish a job somebody else started. Pretty sure he was mad she took a low ball offer. I've told her to report the guy and even call one of the local consumer advocates on TV.

Anyway she called one of the big named companies and they are coming out tomorrow to see what has to be done. I suspect it will cost her well over what the guy I recommended was going to charge.

I ran a line over to her house and plugged in her refrigerator and freezer to save her groceries. I was a bit aggravated she let the guy stiff her like that and that she didn't listen and use the guy I recommended, who is probably now mad at me. Like I said no good deed goes unpunished. My back hurts from dragging her refrigerator 1/2 way across the kitchen next to the freezer so I could plug them both into the power. Sorry for the rant.

2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sorry, man.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

One of several lessons here is NEVER make a down payment on a tradesman's work. If he doesn't have an account at one or more supply houses, he's probably not trustworthy. I'm sorry for your neighbor.....and "good on you" for helping her out. I kinda wish your electrician would "get over it" and help her out. Let us know what happens.

4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

$2k for that job was a steal. Sorry you had to deal with that. Take a bath in some Epsom salts if you can, helps my screwed up back quite a bit.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Torren61 and telleutelleme like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

You know that you did your best. That is all that matters. You can't ever insure that others will make good decisions.

joeman335td, Greggorios, tery and 3 others like this.
  6. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

You get what you pay for... sorry about your situation. My experience is that when you try to go as cheap as possible, you end up paying more in the end and go through the type of aggravation your neighbor is experiencing.

On a related note - our house was built in 1888, about 2400 sq ft. Wiring was a mess - I think Thomas Edison wired it himself. We've been here about 6 years.

We had the entire (and I mean ENTIRE) house rewired. All new wiring, breaker box, surge protector, all new outlets (since ours were of the 2 prong/no ground wire variety), several new light fixtures, etc. Cost us $19,000. Took two weeks. Done by a licensed, highly rated company. I couldn't be happier! Pricey, but well worth it.

Torren61 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

You did your best, and you helped her after the guy left. So, good on you for being a good neighbor.

If she has medical issues, she may be on a tight budget, and the $1,000 difference may have allowed her to not have to eat cat food this month.

8. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Thank You for all you did.

It needed to be said.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good on ya’ for helping.
    Often, the solution to many problems in our lives is money.
    Hopefully the lady’s problem will not cost her too much.

joeman335td and getbent like this.
  10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe she will bake you an apple pie :)

joeman335td and Greggorios like this.
  11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I had a similar situation recently; I was asked to do some work in a customer's lounge and on the second floor windows of their flat. I said yes to the lounge work, but not the outside job. 'Do you know anyone who could help? they said. I gave them details of someone who I knew and was happy pass on his details. They took him on and he did the work ok, but they've moaned to me several times about the guy in general, as though his personality was my fault. This isn't the first time, so now when I'm asked 'if I know of anyone', I act dumb.

12. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Changed out the box in my house about 15 years ago. Me and my neighbor did it. He is a retired electrocution. Cost me around $250.00

RodeoTex likes this.
  13. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I have a neighbor who always asks for favors. They are both able bodied but in my opinion really lazy. One Saturday I went over to hang a picture or something and she pulls out a half a days chore list and starts reading it off like I’m an employee. I was a bit of a jerk about it and made it clear I’m not going to be the chore boy. They didn’t talk to me much after that. Now they are both in bad health ( I blame the lazy) and in actual need of assistance.
    I do a few things but it’s still awkward.
    Oh. They have plenty of money so they could easily afford a handyman a couple times a month.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I love when people dont take my advice.. then I'm not on the hook for the result...

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

When I was in the business of repairing stereos, TVs, 2-way radios, guitar amps, etc., everyone I knew and their friends would come to me looking for a cheap repair job. It used to really piss me off. When electronics started to go surface mount in the late 80s, I got out of the business and became a software developer. Now, I only fix my own stuff (if I can), and when people call me and ask if I can take look at their [fill in the blank], I tell them I don't do that kind of work anymore. If they want a program written, I'll think about it, but I won't cut them a discount. If they ask me to recommend someone, I tell them I don't know anyone. Unfortunately, it just has to be that way.

16. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

From Magnificent Seven, original film....my favorite of these type quotes...

"Generosity... that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble. It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good deed."

Rufus likes this.
  17. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Story of my life.... try and do the right thing. Be sides, Murphy riding shot gun everywhere I go, No good deed goes unpunished, is the other rule I know. True story.

teleman1 likes this.
  18. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This. Pay for play, or kick rocks.

Sorry that happened

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I just got a call from a client of mine, she wanted to know if I could fix the lousy renovation work done on her son's mater bedroom and bath. She recommended me for the work originally, but her son decided that he and his J/O friends could handle it and save a bunch of money if they drank beer and did it themselves. Only reason I am going to fix it is to keep my relationship with her solid as she is a realtor and gets me a lot of work. I do charge more to fix other people's messes if I do decide to fix them. More often than not, I turn down that sort of work.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

That's cool. Most electrocutions don't live long enough to retire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.