No Denatured Alcohol in California, anything else?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by PrescottRX, Apr 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Sinking Ship? It has grown from the worlds 7th largest economy 14 years ago to the 5th today.

do more than a 'casual appraisal' and you'll find that much of the negative narrative is just that...

The state has its challenges, but this thread is a HUMONGOUS so what? The OP couldn't take 5 minutes to googe a replacement that it no more expensive and just as effective AT the same stores.

You know why we don't make vacuum tubes in the US anymore?

I've used tools like Roundup most of my life, should I keep going?

These are rhetorical questions... if California had not set standards for cars (like seatbelts) would we have them today?

When California came out against second hand smoke and took smoking out of restaurants and bars, good thing or bad thing?
    MOST people were outraged when they first did, today, the group that thinks smoking is a great idea in bars and restaurant is a small one of people still addicted to tobacco.

In 10 years, some of the substances we use that are bad for us will be reformulated or moved on from. It will be with us kicking and screaming, but, we'll be better off.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I bought mineral spirits at home depot in california at christmas time. I don't know what you are reading, but you need to hop in the pickup and go look. You'll say 'ahh, okay'

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Not sure what you’re talking about. I just had two bottles of it delivered last month.

My local Home Depot also sells mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, and tung oil.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Huh. My dad finished three guitars in tru oil this year, in California. I don't recall it being hard to get. OP, alcohol is plentiful here. It will work.

5. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

Not quite sure why you're angered by my posts, but I'm sorry I offended you.

6. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

I wasn't looking to get into an argument, what I was looking for was a list of banned substances in California such that I can make alternate plans as needed as indicated in my first post. Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated, as well as the giggles. Cheers all.

7. straightlbues

straightlbues TDPRI Member

It also depends on which county you are in. Los Angeles county bans almost everything.
    So, it is time for a trip out of state. Vegas is a great place and just a few hours away. I always stop in the hardware store on my way back and stock up on these things.

DADGAD likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Try Amazon. Sometimes the CA restrictions will slip by. It's a trial and error process, but in the past year, I've been shipped Mohawk naptha, and three of the illegal-in-CA Fiebing's leather eyes. With the leather dye, Amazon automatically blocked the sale when I tried buying all three at once. But when I bought one at a time, it let the sales go through.

Otherwise, we aren't too far from other states, like NV and AZ, whose legislatures care far less about the environment. Take a road trip, see some sights, and come back with some supplies.

You can also combine the two processes, by buying online and having it shipped to an AZ or NV friend, then going to pick it up. Get some of the good stuff, get a visit in with your friend, have a good time, etc.

9. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Yes. End tourism. People should stop going to Arizona. :twisted:

Tourism tension in Instagram age: $1 billion in AZ taxes

In 2018, for the first time in Arizona history, more than 45 million tourists generated more than $1 billion in state tax revenue, surpassing the record set the previous year by 8%, according to the Arizona Office of Tourism. These visitors help support about 200,000 jobs and provide $7.4 billion in earnings for Arizona workers.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup, California has been setting the example for half a century regarding environmental protection and cultural progression in our country. A model basically following Europe's. Mainly due to learning the lessons of a fast rising population that the rest of the country is experiencing today. Some of their restrictions actually change industries that are difficult, but good for the long run.

ElJay370 and getbent like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I wish it were a sinking ship! Geezz! They keep coming and coming and there is no stopping it. As far as all these solvents and lacquers and such, all these items have air pollution control issues in which California has always struggled. However, it has never stopped me from ordering out of state and when I am in states like Arizona and Nevada, etc. I just stop into their local Home Depot's or hardware stores and stock up. I have a whole locker in my garage of these items. Reranch sends them UPS to me. No problem there. They know that they can't stop it completely, but they will never have any control if you can go and buy them at any local store.

For those here on this forum and have never been to California, it is unlike any state in the country. I have been in every state so I know the pros and cons of just about all of them, and I wouldn't live anywhere else but here. California has the reputation of being this liberal, wacky state, but that is only in the cities. We have a lot of uber conservatives here as well. You can be just about anything you want to be here and you will somehow fit in. Problems? Definitely, but so does everywhere else. If you can smuggle in assault weapons, you can definitely get a couple cans of lacquer here too.

12. David C

David C Tele-Meister

Agree 100%. If all you are doing is dissolving shellac flakes, then all you need is alcohol. I would just buy the Everclear, put 1/2 into the shellac flakes and save the rest for your drinks or a party. For that you need grape Kool-Aid.

ElJay370 likes this.
  13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've never used anything but PGA (Everclear, Golden Grain, etc) with flake shellac. This makes a totally food safe finish. Heck, you could drink it (not recommended).

Makes for interesting conversations at the liquor store sometimes.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Just for fun , I must add this . Here , in Pa , original formula Waterlox is only available in 1 quart or smaller containers because of VOC regs . The VOC in Waterlox that causes this is mineral spirits . I can buy gallon containers of mineral spirits at any hardware store in Pa . The low VOC Waterlox formula is available in gallons . The Marine formula with mineral spirits in it is available in Pa in gallons because it is a marine based product . I used the original formula Waterlox to coat my front room and kitchen floors . I traveled to southern Virginia to get this in gallons . I could have bought an equivalent quantity in Pa , but it needed to be in quarts . Quarts are expensive . So much so that I actually saved money by driving to southern Virginia to get gallons instead of buying an equal quantity of quarts in Pa . It is a crazy world we live in .

15. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It really is a crazy world :).

People get their "news" from social media.

People get their "facts" from social media.

Very few people are willing to do any meaningful research these days.

That's why it's become a crazy world ;).

greenhornet likes this.
  16. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Something must have changed then, because an internet search for "Tru-Oil california" will pull up post after post of everybody from gunstock makers to folks on this very forum and even a statement from Birchwood-Casey about not only it's lack of availability in California, but many shippers refusing to send it to you in CA. Hopefully, things have changed...

17. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

You must be able to get isopropyl alcohol. It's used in hand sanitizer. Certainly works for shellac, thinning and cleaning up.

Also, this site might be helpful:
    https://oehha.ca.gov/chemicals

Fairly sure in UK, denatured alcohol is neat (dried, no water) and presumably comes from petrochemical sources.

Moonshine on the other hand, can't be above ~95.5% as the vapor pressure of water and booze ends up equal then:
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-cant-you-make-liquor-thats-100-percent-pure-alcohol-1701953611

Besides, moonshine is for drinking, not sloshing over guitars.

18. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't it be funny if one day someone discovers that all rats and mice are predisposed to get cancer??? :lol::lol::lol::p

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

The 165 is worse for fire breathing and honestly a little more dangerous. The stronger stuff burns off faster.

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Isn’t how much methanol is in the final product on the distiller and how they handle the heads and tails?

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.