1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Country for Old Men

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now I did miss that part.
    I guess in my mind that is good movie making where they let you come to your own conclusions as to what happened to her.

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

As someone else mentioned I missed that part.

3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great movie, great book. If you've seen the movie you've more or less read the book, though I still think its worth reading. I also really liked reading the Road and Blood Meridian. Haven't read any other McCarthy.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I started Suttree years ago, but the writing was too much of a baroque slog for me. Just looking at some quotes online makes me want to try again:

“Mr. Suttree it is our understanding that at curfew rightly decreed by law and in that hour wherein night draws to its proper close and the new day commences and contrary to conduct befitting a person of your station you betook yourself to various low places within the shire of McAnally and there did squander several ensuing years in the company of thieves, derelicts, miscreants, pariahs, poltroons, spalpeens, curmudgeons, clotpolls, murderers, gamblers, bawds, whores, trulls, brigands, topers, tosspots, sots and archsots, lobcocks, smellsmocks, runagates, rakes, and other assorted and felonious debauchees.

I was drunk, cried Suttree.”

“She smiled and sipped from her glass. There was altogether too much of her sitting there, the broad expanse of thigh cradled in the insubstantial stocking and the garters with the pale flesh pursed and her full breasts and the sootblack piping of her eyelids, a gaudish rake of metaldust in prussian blue where cerulean moths fluttered her awake from some outlandish dream. Suttree gradually going awash in the sheer outrageous sentience of her. Their glasses clicked on the tabletop. Her hot spiced tongue fat in his mouth and her hands all over him like the very witch of”
    I can see where 1955 gets it from.

61fury and thunderbyrd like this.
  5. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

First movie I watched in a long time where I went away from it just going "wow.... wow...." Kind of lost for words because there was so much to analyze and think about.

6. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

a lot of Coen Brothers movies have that affect on me. “True Grit” and “Ballad of Buster Scruggs” both had that same affect for me. I felt “Buster Scruggs” was one of the deepest movies I’ve seen in a long while. “True Grit” was also a fantastic book IMO.

7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Why didn't Anton kill the trailer park receptionist?

I believe the answer to this is the key to the entire movie.

Bassman8 likes this.
  8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't know if it's the right read, and can't remember if the book supports or contradicts this, but I felt like it was something close to respect. Chigurh has that weird code, if you can call it that, and I think the scene with the gas station attendant highlights what annoys him most in people... the fear primarily, the trying to talk your way out of what he sees as fate. More than one person tells him "you don't have to do this" out of fear. The trailer park lady has her own code... no personal information... and he somehow respects that, or at least that was my take.

Most definitely, that bit about the dreams of his father is still brutal, I can hardly read it without welling up.

AlbertoMilanese and thunderbyrd like this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I loved the movie, but haven't read the book or any other works by McCarthy.

I do generally like a Coen Brothers movie. Also, I just realised that I don't remember seeing 'Inside Llewyn Davis', I need to fix that!

10. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I agree Anton didn't kill the receptionist because she didn't fear him mainly but also because toward the end of their conversation he heard the toilet flush another room...I saw that as a him not wanting to deal with an unknown complication and stay focused on finding Moss. Lingering at the trailer park office wouldn't offer enough amusement. I love that scene, the woman they picked couldn't have been more perfect for that role. Also, I may have missed someone saying this already but the girl who plays Carla Jean was later in a movie called "Puzzle" where she is the main character and IMO she pulls it off really well.

buster poser and thunderbyrd like this.
  11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

It’s good there is a place for old men.

Piotr likes this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

it's my opinion that if McCarthy had never written "Blood Meridian...", he would be known as the great literary genius who wrote "Suttree". but "Blood..." blows everything away. i've read it somewhere between 15-20 times. i've read Suttree at least 5 times, but it's been a long time. might have to hit it again soon.

i have to say, and i'm sorry for how boastful this sounds, but i've never found anything by McCarthy difficult to read - i can't say the same for Faulkner.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Buzzgrowl and scook like this.
  13. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had to do a double-take and use the Internet, because I only knew of the True Grit of 1969 with The Duke. I didn't know that there was one in 2010.

Bryan A likes this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I liked No Country for Old Men. It has a rhythm to it that is hard to place but there nonetheless. The Violence is pretty off the charts, but believable. I see the movie as being about relationships as much as being about the money from a deal gone bad.

I cannot find a place where The Road is available for viewing, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see if I like that.

The first movie that I ever saw that felt to me like NCFOM was Deer Hunter. Another dark, violent flick. And another movie about relationships.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I read Midnight's Children when it won the Booker, read it straight through in a week. But I've tried to read it since and have gotten bogged down and gave up two or three times. I don't know why that is.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Suttree is briliant.

buster poser and thunderbyrd like this.
  17. thunderbyrd

anybody who is really into Blood Meridian needs to check out "Notes on Blood Meridian" by John Sepich. there you find that something like 80% of BM is true history. pretty much all the characters in the Glanton gang are based on real people, including the Judge.

on an unrelated note, if there are any lovers of "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco here, i found "the Key to the Name of the Rose", put together by Thomas Cahill, in a box of books my daughter dropped off here. it explains all that stuff you didn't understand when you read it, including all those passages in Latin.

buster poser and scook like this.
  18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I used to do occasional work for the guy who played the deputy who was strangled at the beginning of the film. What a trip to see that
    I didn't know he acted.

thunderbyrd and buster poser like this.
  19. thunderbyrd

you know, i love both versions of that movie equally! both Roosters are perfect.

but if you ever get the chance, the novel is really fine. one of the great westerns ever, IMO.

Bryan A and buster poser like this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Absolutely, there was a witness... too complicated; I forgot that bit. Also forgot that he lets the dude in the high-rise go and that also sorta contradicts my 'fear' read, that guy was just a sniveling wreck (like I would be). I think those are the only two people who survive meeting Chigurh in the movie... what a character anyhow, and again perfect casting... exactly how I'd pictured him.

Agree completely on the lady's casting too, had to look her up again to confirm, but yup... she's Texan. It's a little thing, but I hate when people screw up an accent I'm familiar with. The Coens don't ever miss those kinds of details.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.