1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Country for Old Men

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ping-ping-clicka, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

@Preacher
    I’m gonna say that Carla Jean (wife) is murdered by Anton.
    He is very particular about blood from his victims on his shoes, all through the film.
    As he steps off her porch, he checks his shoes.

Bassman8, Denton and Tommy Biggs like this.
  2. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

The Road makes No Country look like a Disney Film. Far more depressing IMO.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Great film but very disturbing. Would not watch again.

There are categories of films that, although great, I just would never watch again. I've never rewatched "Silence of the Lambs" or "Leaving Las Vegas" for example.

buster poser likes this.
  4. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

So many classic lines: What's the most you ever lost from a coin toss? Just lit out for the territories. Got it at the getting place.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Stubee and Denton like this.
  5. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author. Read Blood Meridian. I have read it 8 times.

Buzzgrowl and buster poser like this.
  6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I know this is sort of a music forum, but I like the fact that No Country For Old men has no music in the film. Makes it more real for some reason.

Rocky058 and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  7. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

SOunds like you have watched it carefully.

So I will ask, did you notice the scene when Tommy Lee goes back to the hotel and Barden can be seen in the door knob? But then Tommy Lee goes into the hotel room, and Barden is not there? And Tommy Lee checks the bathroom window, and it is not open. Also, the scene right before that Tommy Lee is talking with another cop that Barden seems like a ghost. So, just wondering if Barden was really there or not.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I must be a sick puppy, but I think people are tribal. I've seen recent incidents.

Back to the book, I've read what motivated McCarty is that he is an old father with a young son. He wonders how his son will fare after he is dead. And that is at the centre of the book. Some of the father/son dialog is just transcribed from what he and his son have said.

beninma, Bryan A, scook and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

yeah, I think if you had a true catastrophe where you see something like 90% of the world’s population wiped out, and the food supply fell off, you’d see people truly reduced to desperate measures and true acts of cruelty. We’ve fortunately never seen such times and hope we never do.

I mean, look at the current situation with the pandemic and how crazy people went just over toilet paper and sanitizer. Then you’ve got people hoarding it and trying to profit from it. And in the grand scheme of things, this isn’t that bad.

aging_rocker likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Also, it's clear that the father is one of the "good guys". Think of their encounter with the blind, old man. And the son is repeatedly asking his father about if they are good.

And at the end, as the father dies, the son meets the other man who also seems like a good guy and who is living in a like-minded group.

buster poser and Bryan A like this.
  11. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

"The coin don't have no say."

Stubee, Denton and buster poser like this.
  12. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

An awkward moment... "I can't say, sir."

Gas station.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Stubee and zimbo like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I saw NCFOM a long time ago but barely remember it.

I read The Road back around when the movie came out. The Movie was kind of "eh" but the book was phenomenal, I absolutely loved it, as soon as I finished it my wife read it and she loved it too. And she is way less likely to read heavy stuff than I am.

However I have since always said I should read NCFOM or Blood Meridian or any of the others but yet I constantly put it off because I know they're going to be really violent and hard to read.

Stephen King is kind of the same way.. I love his stuff but basically constantly put off reading more of it. I got a ways into the Dark Tower series but can never stay motivated to plow through them.

14. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

if you decide, read NCFOM first. “Blood Meridian” is hard to read, not in a violent way, but in a hard to read kind of way. As in it can be very hard to follow, making it very hard to read.

15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I must say "'Now' is not a time" a couple of times per month. Infinitely quotable.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I tend to go for a lot of those "hard to read" books, but will take your advice on which one to read first.

By me saying I'm procrastinating reading more of his books cause they're "hard to read" I mean more from the bleakness of them, violence, depressing nature of the stories, etc..

Bryan A likes this.
  17. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

The lady at the motel when Lewellyn asks for a second room on the other side “well that room has a double bed!” Small part, but she was cast perfectly for that part. Also the lady running Lewellyns trailer park when Chagur comes looking for him. So good.

Seen it many times and love it. So many memorable lines.

Bassman8 and Bryan A like this.
  18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I enjoyed the way quotation marks were not used, even though misused quotation marks or sloppily rendered dialogue drives me nuts most of the time. Here it was an interesting stylistic choice that I enjoyed. Especially when it shows Llewellyn’s train of thought:

upload_2021-1-22_10-53-35.png

19. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For those looking to tackle Blood Meridian, there are websites out there that act as guides going page by page. It makes it helpful especially for dialogue that needs to be translated.

Blood Meridian has another fantastically written bad guy in The Judge.

Ben Nichols created his own soundtrack of sorts for Blood Meridian with Last Pale Light in the West, the songs are primarily based on characters in the book.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Honestly I saw it one time on a flight to somewhere. But I was engaged the whole time.

I did miss the fact that Barden was in the hotel. I kind of expected him to shoot his way out and when he was not in the room I assumed he escaped through the window.
    As far as him being a ghost, I am thinking that in Tommy Lee's mind he might have been!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.