No buyer for a used, decent CV tele. Got 150$/135€ without pickups after a year.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
Butterscotch, had it for years, fantastic neck, decent condition, nothing major. Re-fitted with great Dimarzio and Lace pickups.

Maybe it's a local thing but I did expect to find someone offering somewhere around 200-250€ but nope.

Eventually found a guy who didn't need the pickups or pickguard and he gave an offer I could refuse but didn't.

Still a bit puzzled, they're around 390€ new so maybe not so strange. Maybe the sub CV quality range has gotten slightly better over the last few years.

If it was just a bit lighter (in weight) I might have kept and modded a Bigsby or something like that on it. As for now I'm pretty sure there will be no regrets.

Attachments

• 163416936_2840842742707296_3651345673600658029_n.jpg
    163416936_2840842742707296_3651345673600658029_n.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Tiago

TDPRI Member
Same thing happened to me. I ended up parting it, reusing the hardware for the Partscaster in my profile photo. Turns out I made about the same as I’d get for the whole guitar by just selling half of it.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
When you sell a guitar without pickups, you're selling some type of project. Many guitarists do not know how to solder. Hence the price.

it was listed with the upgraded pickups but I don't mind keeping them anyway. He squeezed me a bit too easily but nevermind, best wishes to his tele project.

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
They are $250–$350 guitars here in L.A., actual going rates, all original, paid for in cash. Mods reduce value, no matter how much of an improvement you think they are. I, myself, wouldn’t touch a modded one at standard market value, unless all the original parts were also included. Just like with old cars, I don’t want someone else’s “custom” project that they decided to move along. I want all original and clean, so I can do it up my way…or not at all.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
They are $250–$350 guitars here in L.A., actual going rates, all original, paid for in cash. Mods reduce value, no matter how much of an improvement you think they are. I, myself, wouldn’t touch a modded one at standard market value, unless all the original parts were also included. Just like with old cars, I don’t want someone else’s “custom” project that they decided to move along. I want all original and clean, so I can do it up my way…or not at all.

If someone has upgraded the ceramic PUs on a Squire, I am happy to buy it.

OP - I think COVID created a bubble where people bought up tons of instruments and the prices rose. Now the bubble has popped (possibly in slow motion) and prices are falling. It's turning into a buyer's market.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
If someone has upgraded the ceramic PUs on a Squire, I am happy to buy it.

OP - I think COVID created a bubble where people bought up tons of instruments and the prices rose. Now the bubble has popped (possibly in slow motion) and prices are falling. It's turning into a buyer's market.

That's my takeaway too, at least from the local FB groups it seems that many want to try the series priced around or below Affinity at about 100€ (!) new. Something like https://www.thomann.de/intl/t_models.html?manufacturer[]=Harley Benton

I've tried one of them, neck was fine, not CV excellent, but absolutely playable without any fretwork required.

Last edited:

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
IME most guitarists are not like the people on this forum.

The people here tend to have at least a little knowledge about how guitars are put together (probably from reading this forum).

But most pickers I've ever met - even a lot of the really good ones - don't know zip about the instruments. They tend towards the voodoo line of thought (i.e., they believe everything they once heard in a bar about tonewoods, that only US teles are any good, that solid state amps don't actually work, that you need AT LEAST 200 watts to play a tiny pub, etc etc etc).

Changing pickups would be a different planet for them.

Plus, when you sell a guitar without pickups, people don't know if it "works". And they begin to wonder, what else has this guy done to this guitar?

We're used to talking to fairly informed people here (me aside). But out there is a huge world of beginners - many of whom don't even know what pickups do.

tele12

Friend of Leo's
Butterscotch, had it for years, fantastic neck, decent condition, nothing major. Re-fitted with great Dimarzio and Lace pickups.

Maybe it's a local thing but I did expect to find someone offering somewhere around 200-250€ but nope.

Eventually found a guy who didn't need pickups or pickguards and he gave an offer I could refuse but didn't.

Still a bit puzzled, they're around 390€ new so maybe not so strange. Maybe the sub CV quality range has gotten slightly better over the last few years.

If it was just a bit lighter (in weight) I might have kept and modded a Bigsby or something like that on it. As for now I'm pretty sure there will be no regrets.

One of the things people like about the CVs is the pickups.
A change like that removes a lot of potential buyers.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
One of the things people like about the CVs is the pickups.
A change like that removes a lot of potential buyers.

buyer actually mentioned the same, he had, for some reason, a stock pickup set and prefers them as a 'pure' tele sound, just needed an original CV body to mount them in

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
You definitely would have done better if you had installed those pickups you were willing to include. Plug in and play is a much more desirable guitar.

Original pickups out, replacements installed, replacements out, and only you know what kind of shape the control cavity wiring is in. Might need that area redone. I think you got a fair price.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
People put too much stock in stock.

There are some changes that appeal to only a limited number and some that I would think would be universally accepted.

I've had Epiphones where I've replaced the plastic nut with bone only to have potential buyers complain about it not being stock. I know many use any and all excuses to get something for as little as possible but I find it highly unlikely anyone would prefer plastic over bone.

In general when modifying a guitar it is a labor of love. You don't get the money you've invested back, you only get the joy of having a guitar the way you want it. In situations where I worry about resale value I keep the original parts.

When it comes to CVs there are plenty of used ones available to choose from.

Asmith

Friend of Leo's
I reckon the upgraded pickups were the off putting, the model is a classic vibe after all. I think most people looking to buy a CV are looking for a something more traditional.

If the upgrades were more vanilla I bet you would have moved it much quicker.

Or the same if you had upgraded something more modern to begin with.

I think the lesson is keep the old hardware when you upgrade.

FMajor7add9

TDPRI Member
You definitely would have done better if you had installed those pickups you were willing to include. Plug in and play is a much more desirable guitar.

Original pickups out, replacements installed, replacements out, and only you know what kind of shape the control cavity wiring is in. Might need that area redone. I think you got a fair price.

agreed, but bought it myself with already swapped pickups though, so there's that

People put too much stock in stock.

There are some changes that appeal to only a limited number and some that I would think would be universally accepted.
When it comes to CVs there are plenty of used ones available to choose from.

agreed

Eventually told myself that there has to be 1000s of just as good ones out there and they'll probably never reach unreal prices in my lifetime. The neck was special though ... had to say thanks for the ride anyway and narrow the gear a bit more down.

I reckon the upgraded pickups were the off putting, the model is a classic vibe after all. I think most people looking to buy a CV are looking for a something more traditional.

If the upgrades were more vanilla I bet you would have moved it much quicker.

Or the same if you had upgraded something more modern to begin with.

I think the lesson is keep the old hardware when you upgrade.

Not so sure about that but do get your point, if that matters to you, but I'm not into the market trends anyway, just switching circa every fifth year.

As mentioned above the old hardware wasn't part of my deal on it either

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
agreed, but bought it myself with already swapped pickups though, so there's that

agreed

Eventually told myself that there has to be 1000s of just as good ones out there and they'll probably never reach unreal prices in my lifetime. The neck was special though ... had to say thanks for the ride anyway and narrow the gear a bit more down.

Not so sure about that but do get your point, if that matters to you, but I'm not into the market trends anyway, just switching circa every fifth year.

As mentioned above the old hardware wasn't part of my deal on it either

I've only had 2 CVs and the necks were really impressive. The pickups were good enough to accomplish the Classic Vibe of the era but IMO not great all around pickups. As a modder I would be happy to buy one without pickups.