1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NMPJBD for the missus

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by buster poser, Oct 31, 2020.

1. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Mustang PJ Bass.

Story here is the missus has been getting pretty fair at guitar since earlier this year, but she can really zero in on basslines, and has been talking about bass a little more lately. She's a massive Weymouth & Napolitano fan, so a few Youtube vids later, here we are.

Honestly wasn't aware of this PJ spec until earlier today. I'd remembered seeing a red Squier Mustang at my local shop, called this morning and they didn't have it, but they did have two PJs, one in gold and one in this Sienna burst. Looked it up, and though it's a little pricier than the standard Mustang, I like the latitude in the pickup department.

They also had a Jag bass (I think they are 32" scale vs the Mustang's 30"), and my wife is not a short gal at 5'7", but figured we could start here and probably not lose any coin if we go full (or fuller) size later.

Anyway, texted the missus from the shop, asked if she had a color preference, and it was this one. Pretty happy with it so far, pickguard's a little ill fitting, but that'll get swapped soon anyway.

IMG_2056.JPEG IMG_2057.JPEG IMG_2054.JPEG

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

buster poser likes this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Wow!!! Nice score!! That looks sweet!!

Are you going for a tort guard?? That would look great with the sienna burst. White pearloid as well....hmmm!!!

buster poser likes this.
  4. buster poser

Thanks! The Jag is less than three weeks old too and having just swapped it's tortoise guard for the white, I held it up to the sienna and it's a win.

Might try white pearloid just for uniformity's sake with the other two... important thing for now is that the wife loves it (and we finally have a burst guitar) and is impressed with my ability to play bass (not very well).

To be honest, this one was just a little impulse acquisition therapy of the kind we don't do often, but just refi'd the house and get to 'skip' a month's payment. While I'd normally just sock that away, I guess a little dopamine spike never hurt anyone right?

offsideref and 68Telebass like this.
  5. 68Telebass

You need something to do at home these days!!!

We’ve got two boys 5 and 8...no school, no day care, no babysitter available....Whew!!! Wife and I both work as well and have exhausted our leave and family friendly leave-
    Now we watch em with two “Ring” remote cameras, and tag team them at lunch!!:eek:
    Luckily we live a ten minute walk from our IHS clinic where we both work!!
    Silver Linings!!!:rolleyes:

6. buster poser

:) I see you

No kids here, but it's been great hearing my better half get better at guitar during the day and become more comfortable with it. The 'Fender Play' course has been great for her, but she's self-conscious as beginners will be, and I do my best not to mansplain or get in her way. Similarly, "I want a bass" wasn't going to get much argument from me, I'm a smart (and opportunistic) man.

Anyhow, spent an hour or so with it today and it's really fun to play. I'll have to look into the finer points of the setup, but out of the box no big complaints. Naturally I've learned Psycho Killer and The Chain already.

Ronzo likes this.
  7. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Love the Mustang. I kinda wish that color was around when I bought mine. I love tort PG's but I like the black on yours, compliments the overall bass nicely.

buster poser likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

wonderfully symptomatic of a caring spouse, good for you, good for her.
    I love Tina's Bass playing

buster poser and 68Telebass like this.
  9. 68Telebass

Tina W a wonderful bass player!!!! I’ll never forget seeing them on SNL in 1977. Take Me to the River and Psycho Killer...:cool:. That, Devo and Elvis Costello helped break me into the New Wave...Oh! And Clem Burke (Elvis Ramone!!) drumming with Blondie!!

buster poser likes this.
  10. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

cool bass

buster poser likes this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Which series is that, American Performer?

buster poser likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife, the bass player, has gone through more basses than I dare count and the Mustang is by far her favorite and I agree. She is petite, so it has always been short scales for her.

buster poser likes this.
  13. buster poser

Sorry, it's the entry-level Player... should've been clear, it's a little pricier than the Squier Mustang.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. It looks good!

buster poser likes this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nice fender herd you have there!

buster poser likes this.
  16. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Cool bass, you're a good hubby!

buster poser likes this.
  17. buster poser

Thanks! The Jag was my 50th present to myself so we've tripled our Fenders the past month, or doubled if you count the Strat copy she's had since before we met ;)
    After 26 years, I know enough to go buy something when she gives me the green light. This is a nice addition to her GS mini and may shore up some musical concepts for her. In the meantime she seems impressed I can play 'another' instrument (not very capably).

Old Plank and 24 track like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've had 2 early 60's Jags one of the only guitars at the time I could play south paw comfortably, I love them.

buster poser likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.