NMD

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Geoff738, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

New Microphone(s) Day!

Oktavamod version of an Oktava Mc012 small diaphragm condenser with a cardioid capsule (Russian) that he mods the electronics and body and maybe the capsule too, plus the LDC capsule, which I believe is Chinese.

I did a quick test of the SDC capsule, which if I've done this correctly, you can hear here: http://www.reverbnation.com/geoff738/song/16150696-nmd-test
    Edit- this one is "NMD". You can also hear my kid upstairs playing hockey and if you listen really closely, there may be a bit of Little Willie John in there too as he was on the stereo at the time.

Just set it up and aimed it at the 12th fret about 8 inches out. A bit of compression as well. Didn't even get the headphones - just eyeballed it. Needs to come back a bit further when I have time to get down to trying this one for real.

I did try the LDC capsule too to make sure it was working. Unfortunately, I still sound like me.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Attached Files:

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Wow, that's quite the warm mike! ... Hey, Little Willie John and hockey are the perfect accent. You could work it into your act and have it in production by, oh, June or so. ;)

3. Geoff738

What year though?

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Looks like the only original bit left is the box it came in! Congrats, will have a listen later.

5. Geoff738

His webpage gives a lot more detail about what he does.

Anyhow, the SDC is supposed to be close-ish to a Neumann Km84. Never used one, so I can't comment on that.

The LDC (different capsule and assembly, but fits on the same mic body as the SDC - so I can only use one at a time - they just screw on and off) is touted as being somewhat Neumann U67ish (the forerunner of the U87, but with tubey goodness). He has comparison clips on his website so you can decide for yourself (IMO while similar, the 67 always had that something extra. But they're also multiple times the cost of this). I'll also note that he has raised the price a few hundred bux from when I ordered mine less than a month ago.

Ok, as for my little clip - as I mentioned I didn't even preview what I was recording before I went into record. So, it is what it is. Probably would want to back the mic off another inch or six. I'll also note that reverbnations compression and/or bit mangling is not doing anyone any favors here.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds nice for as raw as it is.

It would be a fun job to work that Mic to it's best position.

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Well done Geoff, that should be a mighty good bit of kit, and versatile.

When I started putting my home studio together last year one of the first things I did was set about researching how to get a great sounding mic on my low budget. I read so many mic reviews my head was spinning with numbers and letters from microphone model designations. I ended up lurking on Gearslutz a lot, and Joly kept popping up with his mods and commenting on various cheap Chinese made mics and how to improve them. He seems to know his stuff, and his mic mods get great reviews, but he also seemed to be constantly pushing his own business on the forums so I got a bit irritated by him. Plus his prices are out of my range.

There are other guys like Jim Williams who can take a cheap MXL 990 as a platform and hot rod the circuit, replace a lot of cheap electronic components with high quality components, tweak the circuit, replace the capsule, and so on, and end up with a great mic for very little outlay except time and knowledge. But I couldn’t see myself getting that far into electronics and modding. Wiring up guitar pots is about my limit.

At some point I came across a forum discussion of the Studio Projects C1. Joly’s opinion was that the components and circuit were already fine, it just needed a K47 style capsule instead of the K67 style stock capsule. (The K47 works much better than a K67 with a flat response circuit like the C1 has.) And he said he would also take out the inner layer of mesh in the headbasket to reduce reflections and open up the sound. (He does this with all his mods.)

Well that sounded like something even I could do, and I managed to pick up a second hand C1 for about half the price of a new one, and ordered an RK47 capsule from here:

http://microphone-parts.com/capsules/

Excellent capsule, and a lot more affordable than most (which incidentally are nearly all made in China, even Peluso’s and Joly’s capsules).
    I didn’t even do the headbasket mod, just changed the capsule. For the same price as a new C1 I now have a much better mic. Richer, broader tone, but still very clear and detailed, beautiful proximity effect. Really suits my baritone voice, and seems fine on acoustics or as a room mic for guitar amps.

So there’s a good simple and cheap solution if anyone wants it.

Or if you’re more into electronics than I am, Microphone Parts has just started selling mod kits based on Jim Williams mods:
    http://microphone-parts.com/mod-kits/

Seems to be just a matter of following instructions and replacing components with those supplied. I’m tempted to try one but I know I’d have trouble finding enough time to get it done. I’d rather spend that time recording and playing.

Sorry if all this seems a little off topic, but it was Joly’s comments that led me down that path.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.