NMD: sE Electronics X1-R Ribbon

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by burntfrijoles, May 22, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been wanting to try a ribbon mic for some time and finally took the plunge. I got the relatively low cost X1-R passive mic because it gets consistently good reviews. I also purchased a Klark Teknik CT1 mic booster (poor man’s Cloudlifter) to boost the low output of the ribbon.

I’ve only used it on an acoustic tracks but I am pleased. It sounds smoother and more natural to me. It seems more forgiving as well. I was careful with mic positioning to avoid “proximity” effect.
    I am anxious to try it on my amp.

I’m done with recording gear for a while. At some point I may consider an active load box/attenuator and cab sims but that’s down the road a bit.

2. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new purchase! Can you post a sound sample? I am in a similar spot in wanting to have more acoustic recording options. I bought a pair of Rode NT5 small diaphragm condensers earlier this week and have been experimenting with the different basic stereo configurations.

I am still very interested in snapping up a relatively inexpensive ribbon mic.

Best,

5FAE08A5-9CE1-481C-9E89-00B4C8E744E4.jpeg

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I would expect that a ribbon mic on a guitar amp would be somewhat immune to problems stemming from picking up stuff you don't want, coming from the back. (Because the front will be so much louder.) But I may be wrong and the mic may be influenced by room reflections and sound different in different rooms.

I bet it sounds "like buttah" though - ribbons seem to do that no matter what.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Just don't drop that thing on a hard floor!

And be careful if using phantom power, as it can do harm if voltage spikes occur.

Otherwise... Congrats!

`

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have just recorded a couple of rhythm tracks with it thus far. No fingerpicking. I am afraid my level of playing would offend too many ears on the forum.
    I wanted a ribbon because I've read they are really the better match for digital recording because of their warmth. I am trying it on the acoustic first but I also wanted it for recording my amp as well.
    I just thought (confirmation bias?) that the recording was more accurate than I was getting with either of my condensers.

I try to be careful with my connections and my sequence of when I employ phantom. The X1-R is a passive ribbon but it requires an boost. All of the mic line boosts require phantom power. The mic arrived before the Klark and didn't move the meters very well without the boost. The Klark made a huge difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.