NMBPD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danjabellza, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Sorry in advance, I didn’t realize how long this would turn out...

I recently started going back to school online for healthcare administration, to support my progress in my career. I haven’t owned an actual computer in about 3 years since my MacBook Pro died a sudden and dramatic death after 9 years of almost flawless service. I say almost flawless because, 9 months before it gave up the ghost, was the first trouble I had, and that was the soft cell battery in it went bad.

So, February 10th I went to Best Buy to get a computer to do my schooling on. I looked at Mac’s but couldn’t justify the price at the time. I looked at some of the PCs and settles on an Asus with excellent user reviews and that was spec’d about how I wanted it. It was 1 feature shy of what I really wanted. I wanted solid state hard drive with the larger mechanical storage, but the only computer that had that was $600 more and had extra features that I didn’t need or want to pay the surcharge for.

So for a little over a month, my asus worked beautifully for my incredibly minimal strain on it. I did my school work, downloaded reaper and the HX update/edit(never used any of them) and streamed 3 episodes of a show on Netflix. Then, it died. The mechanical hard drive started whirring, then clicking, then... dead. It tried to diagnose and repair itself, but no luck.

I had to wait until today to take it back to the geek squad. Because I knew I’d have to rely on the machine for at least 2 wars to finish my program, I bought the 2 year protection plan from Best Buy, and I’m glad I did. Even though I was past the return date, they let me return/exchange. Not only did they reimburse the cost of the machine; but also my Microsoft office license, my antivirus software, and the full cost of the protection plan. So, I shopped around. I considered the upgraded version of the laptop I’d bought, with the ssd and the video chip/5k display that I don’t need or really want...

but then I found out the MacBook pros were on sale. For $150 less than that next step up PC, I could get the top shelf version of the 13” MacBook Pro, which is honestly the direction I wanted to go anyway. It’s a smaller display, but it’s what I’m familiar with and I trust the platform a lot more considering my history with my last one.

All in all I ended up spending more than I initially wanted to but, I’ve got a lot more peace of mind with it.

jimilee likes this.
  2. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

I will never go back to PCs, never...

HNMBPD

GDR

jimilee and Danjabellza like this.
  3. Danjabellza

I didn’t want a PC really, but when I got it, I really wanted to love it. And then it died so suddenly. I know it was probably a fluke, but between my experience and multiple family members experiences with macs... I feel dumb for even having given it a chance.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

SSD’s are at a reliability, capacity, and price point these days where I would never own a magnetic drive at all except as a secondary storage device, and never as a primary drive on anything.

GreatDaneRock and Danjabellza like this.
  5. Danjabellza

Yeah. So much has changed in the couple years I’ve been out of the game. When I was looking st the PCs I really liked the idea of 256GB SSD with the 2TB storage drive. The MacBook I got is just the 256 ssd but I have 5TB of cloud storage, so unless I need something off the cloud and can’t access the internet, I’m good to go.

6. Danjabellza

The only thing that bugs me about it so far is that the only ports on the whole dang thing are USB-C. No standard USB’s, no HDMI, nothing. Just USB-C and 1 1/8” headphone jack. I don’t own not 1 USB-C thing except the charging cable that came in the box with the computer. Now I gotta get a usb-C to standard USB converter, a USB-C to HDMI cnverter, and who knows what else. This future stuff is ridiculous.

7. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

The way of the future I guess. You need one of these or similar:

7in1 USB-C Hub Dual Type-C Multiport Card Reader Adapter 4K HDMI For MacBook Pro-Gray

https://www.walmart.com/ip/7in1-USB...3lZ40xJumBV6Z12mvvM_i_DDs_ddF1VBoCWvoQAvD_BwE

Danjabellza likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.