NKPD: New Klingon Pedal Day - Berch Audio Rat'leth

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Just got this one in the mail. Kudos for the cool factor, especially if you are a Trekkie - seems to be a very well built Rat, as indicated by the title, and the components look top notch - he even left a proper place to put a 30pF capacity if you swap the stock TI OP07 opamp out for an LM308. Construction looks solid throughout - he did not skimp or simply put a cheap knock-off board into a box with fancy graphics.

No idea about the knobs yet, or how good it sounds, but I suspect Honor is Volume, Glory is the filter control, and Heart is the drive. I will have time later tonight or tomorrow to fire it up and see how it sounds.

Knobs edit: Honor = Distortion, Glory = Volume, Heart = Filter. I had it completely wrong. It sounds really good. I have not played a Rat on either amp I am currently using, so hard to tell vs an actual Rat but it sounds good through all the knob sweeps. Seems to have a bit more low-end than a stock Rat, which is something I disliked about them, but other than that, the Rat DNA is there - great implementation.

A cool Klingon take on the Rat!! ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun.

IMG_0004.JPEG

IMG_0005.JPEG

Last edited:

allesz

Tele-Holic
Nice pedal, cleanly built.
When I saw the title of the post, I thought: "OMG another weirdo fuzz modulator pedal I never heard of".
So glad it's just a plain, old, great RAT!

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
This is fantastic. I mean, I LOVE Rats....
....on everything BUT guitar. I just lent mine to a friend who does electronic music, because he texted and said he wanted to get into hardware distortion. He's hooked. Cool on drums and vocals, too.

Still, I like pretty much all Star Trek, so it more than evens out. I would have gone with "Honor, Glory, Gagh."

Side note, Google will correct the spelling of "gagh" if you don't already know how to spell it.