NJD! New Jag Day!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by whoanelly15, Apr 7, 2019.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The old AVRIs had a more vintage accurate lacquer finish than the AV series (I said "more accurate", not "totally accurate"), but people complained it was too thick. Well duh, that was kinda the point- the purpose of a finish is to protect the paint, after all. So, the AV series got a "flash coat" that was much thinner and more susceptible to wear. These came out at the same time as the '60s Lacquer series. Then people complained it was too easily damaged, so the AO series got a thicker finish again (how it compares to the AVRI, I couldn't say). The '60s Lacquer series retained its thin coat. It's all cosmetic anyway, since all these guitars have a poly undercoat.

2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Lines be damned. I’m keeping this thing. Too much fun. I got such a great price anyways, I’m really not bothered.

A couple years from now, assuming it doesn’t all flake off anyways, I’ll have beaten it up a thousand different ways.

For the record, the store I bought it from said that this is how pretty much all the lacquer series guitars they have look up close. I found that hard to believe. But they suggested, similar to @beyer160, that this is due to thinner coat and the overall nitro finishing process being very different for MIM series than American-made. So, take that for what it’s worth.

Peace and play on.

3. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

BF463AA8-62BA-4747-9E9A-A099B36C44A8.jpeg
    And here it is with my AV64. Got to play both with this set up and my pedal board today. Both such great guitars! Both are dialed in and playing so, so well. Similar enough to both be mine, but different enough to inspire in their own ways (and to justify owning them both).

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Nice looking guitars!

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve often thought I would get a Crush 120 if I needed a SS amp. Looks nice- the whole rig!

6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Thanks, gang. I’d highly recommend giving this setup a whirl. Even without pedals. Just the dirty channel on the Orange.

I’m getting some really cool sounds out of the Jag. I play unplugged far more often than plugged in and it sounds so, so different like that compared to my Strat and Tele. It’s fun, but definitely plinky/tinny and not nearly as smooth sounding as my strat or as full as my tele. But then plugged in, the pickups are really alive! Digging the neck pup especially. And the controls are set up really well on it. Every sound is really usable. Much more versatile than I would have expected.

And I can’t say enough about the CR120. My brother is the best musician I know. Far better ear and infinitely more experienced (and talented) than me. Anyways, I have a Double Deluxe 5E3 that I’ve played a bit here and there for my brother when we’d be jammin. The thing sounds magical. He played it a couple times. Then he heard me playing my Tele through the Orange about a month ago and couldn’t believe it. I was ripping through Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac’s Oh Well and he was like, “that’s your sound”. Then said something like, “that’s what a lot of tube amps in the 70’s sounded like to me.” Now, I wouldn’t know, cause he’s old and I’m not. ;)

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

45247C7D-0A0F-4EE4-9565-6F28B5FF3FB6.jpeg
    Had to put a little more relief into this neck the other day and had it halfway apart. Noticed the “slab board” style fretboard joint. I always liked the slab board thing from a historical and carpentry standpoint.

From my understanding, this would have been pretty rare on a Jag. Since they weren’t in production until 1962, and this was the transition year for Fender guitars to move from slab to veneer rosewood, there would have been very few slab Jags ever made.

Of course, these are pau ferro, but to me, this is a pretty cool nod to the first Jaguars that Fender would have made.

I’ve noticed that there haven’t been any of these in Fiesta Red on Reverb - used or new - in a while. And now that they were discontinued, I’m sure glad I got one when I did.

The other observation after playing this more recently is the sensitivity of these pickups, and not just to the attack. More than any other guitar I’ve played, I noticed that the location of my picking/strumming creates hugely different sounds. I mainly play over the neck pickup. Im no chicken-picker, but when playing my other guitars, I sometimes move around based on the specific technique or attack I want to use, which of course, changes the sound. But to me, that’s always felt like it’s mainly due entirely to that feeling of increased string tension closer to the bridge, how I might anchor my picking hand differently, and how that all changes the approach and orientation of my pick relative to the strings. Others will be able to explain this far better than me but I think you know what I mean.

This really feels like pickup sensitivity to me. It’s most noticeable on the bottom circuit with both pickups switched on, without the strangle. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this par for Jags, other offsets? Between the pups, the natural reverb in these things and all the switching options, it’s been really fun to mess around with.

8. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Congrats...but I would have bought a Tele or Strat....o_O

whoanelly15 likes this.
  9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Thanks. I have 2 Teles and a Strat. So, the Jag is still outnumbered. And I (currently) have no desire for more. Long term, I’d like to do another partcaster to have another Strat, but there’s no need for it. I think it’s just because I have some CS 54 pickups that are currently without a home.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Great guitars, I love mine. I can't imagine being without it now. I don't know any other Fender that sounds like a Jaguar.

whoanelly15 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.