1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nitrocellulose vs Polyurethane??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

That is the most sensible post I've ever seen.

2. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

I've learned some important things from reading this thread:

1) Ron Kirn continues to be a very smart man.
    2) Those who do not learn from "Poly v. Nitro" threads are doomed to repeat them.
    3) I need to start exfoliating my face with poly instead of nitro in order to age less rapidly.

3. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Seriously folks, for those who don't know, Dana Bourgeois is a luthier based out of Lewistion, Maine. He builds some of the finest acoustic guitars available. Although I've yet to meet him or play one of his instruments, I would highly respect his thoughts on acoustic guitar related subjects...

4. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Ah.....but was your shirt made of poly....ester?

:D

5. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

A nitro finished guitar touching a polyester shirt will make the wood sneeze.

Not many know that little tidbit :D

6. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

This is awesome info. I always applied this to acoustics. Take a 300 dollar Yamaha into the acoustic room lined with 3k plus Taylors and Martins and you'll think your playing one of the Taylors or Martins. I used to sell guitars retail and would take people into those rooms to try out the sub 300 dollar acoustics 'cause all those resonating high dollar guitar made the cheapie sound fuller.

Incidentally, I did just purchase a 300 dollar Yamaha as a play around the house in front of my 2 year old guitar. I've been side by side comparing it next to my late 90s Taylor K10 and I'm floored by the quality. It's the F730 and it is the best sub 500 acoustic I've ever played.

Sorry I'm really off topic but I'm currently a little sleep deprived laying on my 2 year old's floor 'cause he had a bad dream and kept crying out for daddy.

7. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

I disagree that would doesn't make a difference. I've played many a Taylor and a 614 with a maple body definitely had a brighter sound than a 714 with Indian rosewood body and cedar top and then an 814 with Indian rosewood and englemann spruce top sounds different still. 314 (mahogany body and Sitka spruce) very flat (as in not overly pronounced bottom or top end). All same body size, bracing, construction specs, but different woods. The variable in these is the wood. What else would make these 4 very different sounding guitars sound as different as they do?

8. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

BTW, nitro + silk = PURE NIRVANA

9. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Just spotted this YouTube clip in another thread...

I'm sitting here giggling to myself, wondering what the "nitro vs poly vs tonewood vs brass vs steel vs ash vs alder" cork-sniffers would make of it....:lol:

I assume the builder played it unplugged first to determine the likely resonance....:lol:

I'm sorry - just thought I'd bring something even wackier to an already totally wacky thread.

Now - who's going to be the first to (a.) take this seriously, (b.) try to offer an explanation of why the person playing is able to coax all those tones from it, or (c.) take offence at this post.....:lol:

PS: the tone is absolutely NOTHING to do with the amp. Honest...

10. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I'm just amazed this thread is still going...

11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

That is amazing, will go in the annals with the Concrete, and MDF Tele, as yet another example re-enforcing my contention that if YOU think it matters, it doesn’t, unless the thing you think matters is what YOU think of what YOU have,... that is the only criteria out there, period, that is necessary to meet in order to have a superior guitar....

You do not Need one of mine, one of the Custom Shops, or any other “special” guitar, what ya need is the skill necessary to play the one you have... do that, and you gain what ya want... the envy of all those wannabes, that think a 3000.00 guitar will make ‘em sound like that guy with the Orange crate..

Yep... I agree, amp don’t mean schidt . . . does it... specially if ya cannot play.

Ron Kirn

12. voodooblues

If only people would take this info to heart. Is there something about TDPRI where the most logical, down to earth posts fall on deaf ears? Sometimes I see threads on here where someone has a new guitar on order and immediately starts with "I'm going to change this and this, and I'm thinking of putting new pickups in it..." all before it's even arrived, and it makes me wonder if some people will ever be happy with what they have. I'm not hating on modding, but it seems like some people are chasing just for the sake of chasing. It's actually amazing what your guitar can do if you learn how to use it. I guess some people would rather just sit on a computer and talk about it...

13. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

I think it's kind'a fun. I don't really buy that much gear, but I like reading about it, talking to friends about it, discussing it on the internet, asking questions about stuff that i'll probably never buy anyway and providing feedback, tips and advice whenever I can. And the poly/nitro threads (and classic vibe, relic, tube/SS etc) are entertaining, as long as we're reasonably polite it's all good.

14. voodooblues

It is fun, and I don't mean to take away from the value of these forums because there is a lot of very useful information here. Also, when it comes to modding, I recognize that some people are "tinkerers" by nature. It's just that when it comes to some of the "tone" and "comparison" threads, it can get well beyond the point of over-analysis.

15. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

That's awesome. Expensive guitars can make cheap ones sound better by being in the same room with them.

If you would like a "science" answer start here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoacoustic

16. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

You don't think the 714 and 614 sounded different because they were different guitars? The construction of the guitar is what makes the difference, far, far more than the wood.

They're not the same construction - they are similar construction. Slight changes in construction make a big difference, big differences in wood make a small difference.

17. Peltogyne

Compared to other forums where mods will change posts and ban people for daring to use science or question dogma I think TDPRI is doing quite well.

I don't really worry about the people that think the Chinese use green wood or that can hear the difference between flathead and phillips screws or that swamp ash grows under water. Those people are a lost cause. I do worry about the new people they are trying to infect with these myths so they can feel better about their own shortcomings. Think of the children!

18. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

19. Peltogyne

And should finish with someone posting a sound clip. Not so the experts can show us their auditory skill by telling us what woods and plastic are on the guitar but because once a clip is posted the myth pushers usually leave the thread.

20. voodooblues

This is why after a certain point, I just need to walk away and play my guitar!:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.