1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nitrocellulose vs Polyurethane??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jared Purdy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Still waitin' for an answer..

rk

2. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister

Wood "off-gasses" but it does not breathe. It can absorb moisture and release it, but that is a far cry from respiration.

All organic matter is in a state of decay which affects a veritable boatload of variables on a guitar, however that's a more involved topic than poly vs nitro.

3. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Then the obvious answer is to use fossilized wood! Boom, no more decay. Plus, since it'll be mineralized, you can't even argue about it breathing.

4. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Well, getbent, you're a moderator - if you found my sense of humour to be so offensive on a forum, I can't understand why you simply didn't remove my post rather than decide to give me a rather public admonishment?

Might I remind you that your OWN sense of humour allowed you to post your "vote" that one of our members should have a Telecaster headstock tattooed on his penis just one week ago... although I personally found such a suggestion to be nothing more than a bawdy bit of harmless, laddish humour.

Accordingly, I am therefore somewhat surprised that, with a sense of humour and fun like that which you have obviously been blessed with, you should suddenly choose to express such self-righteous indignation over MY sense of humour.

We are all different, from many varied origins, backgrounds and cultures, and I accept that what may seem amusing to one person may not necessarily be so to another. But with the seemingly unstoppable worldwide integration of all these different origins, backgrounds and cultures, there comes tolerance and a willingness to attempt to embrace our differences, regardless of our own personal feelings.

It is this sort of intolerance and refusal to embrace our differences which often leads to flame wars over the most trivial discussions on this very forum.

getbent, as you have seen fit to publicly admonish me, I am man enough to stand up and apologise for any offense my attempt at humour may have caused.

To those of you who chose to suddenly stand up and express your own public indignation of one of your fellow members, I suggest you take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are without sin. Furthermore, there is a perfectly adequate PM system on this forum - if you REALLY are so "offended", feel free to PM me and tell me rather than do it publicly...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Just read this somewhere on the web and thought it had something to do with this thread.

Fuzzy thinking and fuzzy language often go hand in hand. Purveyors of pseudoscience usually use vague terms with unclear meanings and definitions. New Age healers, for example, use words and scientific-sounding phrases like “human energy field” and “vibrational frequency” without understanding (or clearly explaining) what it is that they are talking about. This is a case where skeptics should be emboldened to raise their hands and ask, “I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re saying. . . . What vibrations are you talking about? What exactly is this ‘energy field,’ and how can science detect it?”

The next time you hear something you don’t understand, ask for clarification. You don’t have to be apologetic about it, and the situation doesn’t have to be confrontational. Those with science and facts and evidence on their side will be happy to explain what they mean. If the speaker cannot explain what he is talking about in plain language—or without resorting to other, even less clear terms and concepts—that’s a warning sign that there’s confusion on both ends of the line.

http://www.csicop.org/sb/show/the_wisdom_of_not_understanding

6. Ceausescu

Ceausescu TDPRI Member

Fatmanstratman's post is offensive? Please, he surrounded his words with smilies. Any rational reader would understand that this was done in jest, and it was a play on words.

7. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Try to get them to explain it in Anglish. It's really fun. Anglish is where you don't use any English words that we took from other languages. So, no latin or greek terms, no french, only basic stuff. Fun to listen to and usually easy to understand.

8. DirtyDanTele

DirtyDanTele Tele-Meister

Nitro lets the wood breathe is just marketing mumbo jumbo. Just something to add to the higher price tag. Same mumbo jumbo as aging magnets, hand wound coils or this tone wood crap they try to say is better cause it sounds richer when you hit it with a hammer. Bunch of cockamamie bs. I like nitro for the way it feels and ages that's it. But that's just all my opinions, all that matters to me.

9. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Fender is the one who says wood breathes. Its in the mr gearhead pamphlet on "how to care for your nitro giutar". (the paperback version-the hardcover is called 'how to care for your nitro-on-top-of-thick-poly guitar)

10. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Wood most definitely breathes while it is alive--through the leaves. I guess if you left the leaves on the finish might make a difference. But more seriously, as far as breathing goes--for an acoustic, where the interior is not finished a thin finish is important so that both sides of the wood absorb and give off moisture at a similar rate--to reduce the risk of warping. A thin finish also allows the sound board to vibrate as it should. If you do use a very thin finish then you would want nitro because it is repairable--the new finish will dissolve and merge with the surrounding old--poly won't do this. For that matter the repairability is an advantage for any kind of guitar, unless it's a relic. As far as durability-- think of all the high end acoustics with the finish worn off under the right forearm--Richard Thompson's being a particularly egregious example. (BTW I don't get the fashion for acoustics with big holes worn through the wood--but at least I haven't seen reliced acoustic guitars with big holes--but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some out there.

11. Shoshin

Shoshin Tele-Meister

The permeabilty of wood is so low that air diffusing (breathing) through the wood is irrelevant. It would take hundreds if not thousands of years for an air molecule to travel through the wood. Sorry guys, but wood "breathing" is BS.

EJG1 likes this.
  12. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

This thread sucks just like every other similar thread that came before. It gets like this every time.

13. Peltogyne

I'm guessing you're on the believing side based on that comment. Am I right?

14. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Some of us this kinda stuff. Sort of like watching NASCAR races just for the crashes. :D

15. chipbutty24

Nope, I think the whole thing is nonscence. I didnt always think that but I've gained an education of sorts. I don't give a rat's what a guitar is finished with as long as it sounds and feels good.

16. chipbutty24

Whatever floats your boat friend. The merry-go-round nature of this topic aside, I don't understand why folks feel the need to get nasty over this simple topic.

17. Peltogyne

That's encouraging to hear :)

18. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I think it may be because some of us take things too seriously and/or personally. And I'm not pointing fingers; just talking in generalities.

19. Ceausescu

Ceausescu TDPRI Member

Look: Danny Partridge did not care about guitar finish. Neither did he care if his bass breathed. All he cared about was diggin' the funky groove line, dig? This thread won't suck if we stop gettin' heavy and start following in this virtuoso bassist's finger plucks.

Right on, Ron Kirn! Right on, Danny Partridge! Outta sight!

[​IMG]

20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

After further review,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.