1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nitrocellulose laquer and Plush lining G&G (Fender) cases

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sugarcool6, Mar 5, 2021.

1. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Broadcaster 70th anniversary Telecaster. It has nitro finish and I have it on a stand.
    However I am collecting more guitars now so I need more stands. I almost bought a second one until
    I found this post by someone who talked about nitrocellulose finish getting damaged by the foam on the
    tubes or rods of a guitar stand.

So I read about this and asked myself why are so many instruments sold with nitro finish and so many companies selling the wrong kind of guitar stands?
    Furthermore....there are many, i mean many guitar owners and potential buyers complaining about this.
    So there is a market there.....
    Best would be to make stands with thick cotton cushioning (velvet of 100% cotton for instance) on the metal rods of these stands.

Then I have another question, what material is the plush inner lining of the G&G case for Fender Broadcaster 70 anniversary? Is this also 56% cotton and 44% rayon? (Fender Website)
    And if so, does rayon have a negative effect on nitrocellulose laquer?

DSC_0007-15e31a8b68d384_800x600 (1).jpg

Telekarster, Boreas and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

When I had nitro finishes, I always put a lint free cloth when resting against the body and the neck supports.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add, that your case will be absolute safe. I don't think Fender would put a nitro finish guitar in such a case, without testing it first.

3. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

No problems, but should not stored in hot places (car trunks, attics). This softens the lacquer and will see fiber prints in the finish.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Stay away from the stands using rubber or "surgical tubing" as cushioning. I even had a nitro finish react to the rubber "boot" coating around the plug end of a guitar cable where it made contact with the body when I'd wrap it between the body and the strap.

There are many nitro safe stands on the market. I've had my guitars on Hercules hangers and stands for over a decade and not one has had any reaction with a nitro finish.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My friend puts old cotton sock on his stands... He was concerned about the warning in the New Martin Care literature.

I find it is usually only a problem with NEW cheap stands. As the cushion de-gasses over time, it becomes less reactive. I have several vintage acoustics and have never had a problem with my cheap stands, but I suppose I have been lucky.

Another thing you don't want to do is leave a clip-on headstock tuner or capo on a nitro finish. They can really mangle/distort a logo.

The biggest culprit were the old straps with soft plastic synthetic leather tabs. People threw their guitar in the case with the new strap still on, and the next time they removed the guitar and found a mangled finish. Most good straps have upgraded their materials, but beware the cheapies. Remove the strap and throw it in the storage compartment. Straps also damaged guitars as they sat on the stand.

Regarding the case, I wouldn't be too concerned about a case supplied by Fender for a Fender. Just avoid extremes in temp and humidity. I have seen poly guitars damaged by a cheap case - mostly fogging of the back that never cleared up. I think it has more to do with the glues and foam used in the case, not the lining. ALL plastics, foams, glues exude gasses that can be toxic to finishes - as well as people. It is always a good idea if you purchase ANY new case to let it sit open for a few days to get rid of, or at least minimize that "new case smell" before sticking a guitar in it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Fendereedo and Telekarster like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yes, nitro can be fragile but in my experience it's mostly vulnerable when its fresh and new, regarding your concerns. I use normal stands and keep my guitars on them most of the time, but I don't let them sit on them too long at a time... I play em etc. and haven't had any issues. But, don't let your guitars sit on them for months/years on end, and certainly not in a non-enviro controlled situation.

Also, be careful what kind of clothing you're wearing when playing them. I had a new T shirt on and didn't know it could bleed... it was a red shirt and after a gig, sweat etc., the next day I had a nice pinkish color on the back of my tele.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

I learned to embrace the instability of lacquer. That patina is kind of the whole point of it, in fact. The poly finished stuff is there for you if you want a guitar that will stay pristine forever and never react. I think the guitar community has moved beyond nitro > poly. They're just different finishes and offer different strengths.

The only thing that will really kill lacquer and make it look "incorrect" to me would be getting acetone or other solvents on it by accident or something.

8. sugarcool6

sugarcool6 TDPRI Member

OK everyone you are all making sense and very helpfull, thanks for your information.

Well the case is not a problem, so I have to let it open for a while...however the attic is where I have my 'Mancave' and it can get really hot upthere.
    As far as resting on the stand...I try to play with every guitar ( I have three: 1 Tele/ 1 Zion (radicaster) / 1 Les Paul (brand "Vintage") so there's
    movement for each instrument. But I was trying the Zion and the Vintage so the Tele got 'neglected' for a short while...
    So in the future I am going to pay more attention that each guitar changes position and won't sit on one rubber spot too long.

Thankssssss

9. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've never had a problem with Fender nitro reacting to a stand or strap or case. Gibson nitro is another story. I've seen vinyl straps react with the surface. Eats right into it.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have all my guitars on either Hercules wall hangers or Ultimate Stands. Both my Martin Authentic series and both my Telecasters are nitro. I've done it this way for years and have never had a problem.

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Umm, you might want to check your info there. When nitro reacts to a stand or contact with rubber, it melts. It doesn't crack or flake, it actually melts and discolours. When the rubber cable end on my instrument cable was making contact with the nitro body (when wrapped behind the strap) I found it when I touched the guitar and it was literally sticky and gooey in that spot. The finish had destabilized there. I left it alone and stopped wrapping my cable through the strap and eventually the finish hardened again. But you can still see the mark. Luckily the guitar is black.

I've even seen someone damage their finish from one of those fold out A-stands. The rubber block at the top that supports the back of the guitar melted a hole in their finish.

12. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that that type of wear never usually looks 'out of place'. Getting some cord rash from a bad cable is entirely plausible and ought to be a part of the patina of that guitar's story. Of course, everyone should be informed about what kinds of materials and plastics can damage lacquer, but ultimately if it's an issue that bothers people, they should go with a catalyzed poly.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  13. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

If your attic man cave gets hot, it probably also gets very dry. Neither condition is OK to store a guitar. Perhaps other more knowledgeable folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

The issue used to be with the stands that had the yellow rubber tubing as I recall. People would use tee shirt material or socks to cover the tubing back then.
    [​IMG]

15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The black tubing can damage nitro - in fact anything rubber or vinyl is best kept away I think. I made marks on an SG with a stand before i knew better. Fender do a fairly good nitro-safe tripod stand these days that I've had no issue with and they used to do a custom shop one that had a wooden frame. That has some design flaws I don't like.

Leather dyes and finishes can also stick to nitro. I put a black leather strap on my vintage Bronco in a moment of silliness and ended up with very nasty black marks all over it, in some cases where the knapp of the strap had clung to it. I had to take some car colour restorer (very light rubbing compound) to it to get them off. It worked, fortunately.

As to Fender testing their cases... I trust the G&Gs based on rep but there was a time when the dark maroon late 70s cases would sometimes leave marks on the olympic white finishes of the time. The old 60s/early 70s red-lined cases are fine. So you're right not to trust just any Fender case but the Custom Shop have been using the G&Gs for years.

Gevalt likes this.
  16. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

I have been wrapping my stands in plain old leather shoelaces for the last 40 years and NEVER a problem.
    Easy peasy fix.
    Good luck on your project,
    Rob

17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The foam on Hercules stands does not affect nitro. HOWEVER, there are some small plastic parts that will, so you want to make sure you guitar is touching only the foam.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.