Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Chlorinated Pools, and Gibson Standard vs Historic

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by HaroldBKNY, Jul 19, 2021.

1. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

Okay, really dumb question here. After I go swimming in a chlorinated pool or brominated hot-tub, is it okay to play a guitar with nitrocellulose lacquer? Or do the chemicals stick on your skin for a bit? Could the chemicals have an adverse effect on the finish?
    If it's not good for the lacquer, what should I do? Shower? Wash my arms with soap?

Also, do modern Gibson Standard guitars use nitrocellulose that's as temperamental as the older bursts and historic reissues? Or are they more robust to things like fading and damage from dirt, spills, etc?

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I had a salt water pool for three or four years (the salt is used to make chlorine) and I saw no adverse effects on my guitars. Now I would dunk my guitar in the pool, but if you dry off you will be fine.

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Are you planning on playing your nitro laq guitar wet and in the nude? :lol::eek: Seriously though, nitro is very suseptable to all sorts of things, including sweat. I played a gig with a red shirt on and after sweating the red transferred to my nitro finish! I was PO'd to say the least... today it's pretty much worn off but just sayin' - Yes... nitro can be affected

4. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't worry about it :).

Even your tap water in any town or city large enough to have a water treatment plant has a certain amount of chlorine in it to kill germs.

If the amount of chlorine in the pool water is such that you don't suffer any ill effects, it certainly isn't a high enough level to damage the finish on a guitar.

I'm not saying go soak your '59 Les Paul in chlorinated water - but you wouldn't consider doing that in any case - would you? ;)

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Modern nitro is not as fragile as that used on older guitars - the formulation has changed due to environmental concerns (old-school nitro was nasty), and they've added stuff to make it more durable than it used to be.

Still gotta be careful with it, though. Things like insect repellent and sun block will still damage it. And those foam rubber bits on guitar stands will also hurt modern nitro.

Gibson's Murphy Lab has developed a nitro formulation that's closer to the old stuff in the it's more susceptible to changes in temperature.

- D

6. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

Oh, that's interesting. I've used the On-Stage GS7155 Hang-It Guitar Stand for close to a year with my LP standard with no noticeable adverse effects. I thought that the older-style foam hangers were bad, but the new ones are okay.

7. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

YES, doesn't every body do it?

Well... I could wear Crocks and a drop of Channel nº5

Telekarster, dannyh and jays0n like this.
  8. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Don't forget your sock..

Telekarster and jays0n like this.
  9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bug spray is a problem on your skin if it gets in contact with a nitro finish (one of my Martins has a leg-hair-pattern cut into the gloss on the waist on the treble side), but I don't think there's any issue after drying off from a chlorinated pool swim.

As for the Historic vs main factory issue, there is a difference in the grain filler and sealer. The historics tend to have the red dye in the grain filler bleed up into the clearcoat and it spreads out over the binding like a pink stain. That's supposed to happen!

Much bigger issue for the cork-sniffers is that the GibsonUSA model Les Pauls are going to have all sorts of different internal chamber routing to make the body light, whereas a proper Historic reissue will have the woods chosen to make the body lighter without hollowing it out. And there are undeniable differences in the hardware (ABR-1 vs Nashville bridge and pot-metal vs aluminum alloy tailpieces, for instance).

10. HaroldBKNY

HaroldBKNY Tele-Meister

They changed this recently, the standard 50s and standard 60s lines are not weight-relieved

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.