Nitro Tele Bodies in the UK?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by T00DEEPBLUE, Sep 14, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

Have you not thought about finishing it yourself with rattle cans ? It's not that difficult....there's plenty of vids on you tube...£15 a can of sealer and £15 per colour...tonetech or Manchester Guitar tech do them and they're good quality...bit of wet sanding and viola !!

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

DIY is an option, but if you've not done it before and haven't got any of the basics (wet n dry papers, masking tape, polishing compounds, etc) then don't delude yourself as to how much it will cost. Plus if it doesn't work out and you end up striping it off and doing it again and buying more paint it'll soon add up to paying for a pro job. Got to admit my first rattle can guitar refinishes years ago weren't great either, though ironically these days a relic look is more common, so that can help disguise defects.

I've sprayed lots of cars over the years and a few guitars, but even so I make some mistakes and have to redo things. Paint for a spray gun is slightly cheaper than aerosol (I use North West Guitars nitro for spraying), but I already have a compressor and various spray guns.

Erebia likes this.
  3. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Gavin from axecaster here...

I'm afraid all the finished bodies I carry these days are aged/relic as that is what my customers want.
    Scott at SC Relics may be willing to do it for you. He doesn't usually do perfect shiny finishes but it's something he is perfectly capable of. Lead time may be a bit long though.

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Good to hear from you Gavin. :) As a customer; just to comment that if you'd had a non relic'd option available I would have bought it in preference, so it's not a question of what customers want, it's all you had available (since I CBA to spray a bare body at the time).

As it happens getting a relic turned out well for me and I can use that guitar in places I'd be more worried about a 'nice' guitar getting knocked about. You've maybe seen my finished project elsewhere, but just incase here you go Gavin:

Esquire & Champ 5.jpg

I think most of the hardware also came from Axecaster too, though I did age some of it myself. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

I would have bought one too and become a customer.:D

6. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Very nice!
    I'll admit that it's also my preference to offer aged bodies - a new shiny body needs to be perfect imo and any minor imperfection can be cause to mark as b-stock. I've had that before when I was selling finished Mighty Mite and Hosco bodies.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. SC Relics Guitars

SC Relics Guitars TDPRI Member

Hi all, Scott from SC Relics here.

I do get asked (occasionally) for NOS finishes. And I can do them... but 99% of my customers want me to age their commission in some shape or form.

Tbh, I didn’t start my business to go pristine nitro finishes. I’m more artistically interested in ageing the bodied and necks I do. I’ve been doing metal flake finishing for a while now (NOS) but pretty much all nitro work is aged. My name got out there for doing this sort of stuff and that’s why people come to me for it. I’ve got plenty of pics on my website of new and aged finishes.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

It’s not remotely silly. Just commercially viable.

9. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

So if you’re considering a build, I would argue (at that price, remember you have to pay postage) that getting your body painted would be the biggest expense of your build.. I think that’s silly.

10. bettsaj

bettsaj TDPRI Member

What colour do you want it??

11. rze99

Yes it could be the most expensive bit.

You have to pay for a service specially for you and it’s reasonable if you you are getting something distinctive or a finish to your specs.

It’s a bespoke service so you pay bespoke money.

12. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I’ve had plenty of bespoke guitar work done. That price is not realistic.

13. rze99

Great. Please do get in touch with your vendor that will do a nitro finished body to your spec for less than that as I’d be very interested myself. Looking to hear from you.

14. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Dave Dearnaley guitars. He’s very well known.

Pendragon guitars.

Greg Hunt guitars.

All on Facebook.

Attached Files:

rze99 likes this.
  15. rze99

many thanks for these not used any of them.

16. SC Relics Guitars

SC Relics Guitars TDPRI Member

No websites to nosy at?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.