1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nitro Tele Bodies in the UK?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by T00DEEPBLUE, Sep 14, 2020.

1. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

Hi.

Can anyone make recommendations as to who to go to in order to buy a nitro-finished tele body for a project I'm working on?

Must be from the UK or Europe. And relic'd bodies are not allowed.

I've tried searching myself but options are surprisingly limited so I want to get some feelers out.

Many thanks.

2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Talk to axecaster.uk.
    Gavin is a very nice guy and helpful.

kodiakblair likes this.
  3. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Gear4music have some, there are loads on Ebay starting around 70 quid.

4. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

All the ones they have are either relic'd, are Esquire bodies or are out of stock.
    Can you link me to where you're getting these results? I've already searched but I can't find any results that fit my criteria.

5. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you just type Guitar Body in Ebays search box there are quite a few....i mean this one pictured is only 69 quid

or go to Gear4music.com, they used to have a few but only Strats now I think looking at the site....

Attached Files:

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Mine came from Axecaster, but as you say it is a relic and I made it into an Esquire (it was routed as a Tele though). I haven't found any Nitro bodies for sale for anything less than the price of Axecaster and even those are mostly out of stock. A better choice of either unfinished bodies or poly finished ones, but it's almost at the point you may as well buy a whole (used) guitar and just modify it.

I've just bought a new Player Jaguar today because I couldn't find suitable parts for any less than this cost me (with the fatter C shaped neck/9.5" radius). I will be modifying it into a 'Jagsquire', but will keep the original pickguard and electronics and just use parts I have in stock, plus a pickguard blank to make one that will look how I want it to.

Erebia likes this.
  7. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Speak to this outfit.

https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/guitar-bodies/tc-body?sort_by=

There's some kind of arrangement with a guy in Spain. Bodies go from UK to Spain for nitro finish then on to the customer.

I saw it mentioned on a German site, will see if I can find more details.

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

Where are you finding nitro-finished tele bodies for only £69? :confused:
    The reason for wanting a nitro finish is because I want the body to age gracefully. Which poly ones don't. I've already bought an Ampro rosewood neck and that's what this body is for.
    Thanks dude. I appreciate the research.

9. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

That’s why you should talk to him. I‘m sure he‘s able to get you a „closet classic“ body. Those bodies are high quality japanese made (Hosco) bodies with vintage specs, the finish is made by SC relics UK:

https://screlics.co.uk/sc-relics-gallery/

You can also get a nitro lacquered body directly from them.

I‘ve ordered a medium relic body from him today, by the way.
    Keep away from cheap bodys!

Fretting out and rze99 like this.
  10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

You can just squirt rattle can nitro over slightly roughened poly to give a patina that ages well .I did a Fiesta red over a poly sunburst body and it took a while to gently wear down to some of teh burst underneath.

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

OK, gotcha. I did the reverse: An aged nitro body and a pristine poly neck, so I sanded the neck down and refinished it with tinted clear. I might try a body at some point, but CBA with getting thick poly off a body as the neck was bad enough. If I do one, I'll probably buy a bare body instead.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  12. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Any luthiers in your neck of the woods? They’re often happy to do a nitro finish, especially if it’s an ‘easier’ finish. Ask around or (hate to suggest it, but..) try Face****

13. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

Will look into it. Thank you.
    There is a luthier local to me and I'm waiting for their quote. But it's probably much more cost-effective to buy a body that's already been finished.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve used SC Relics. Excellent.

Also used Rexter Guitars for refinishing existing or unfinished bodies. Also excellent.

15. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

Having looked at their prices and the options they provide, SC Relics might actually be a really good option.

I'll just need to ask if they'll do a non-relic'd body. Surely they can on request.

16. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

I don’t know about SC Relics but some of the finishers seem to avoid non relic finishes. I have assumed that is because of the difficulty in getting a perfect finish but maybe it is simply to do with demand. I’m currently looking to obtain a Tele body for a project so I’ve been checking out a number of options. The Axecaster bodies are a little too reliced for my taste and I can’t get excited by the colours left in stock. I may end up going the poly route for now.

17. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Another option I might consider is Fidelity guitars in Ely. They will apparently nitro finish a supplied body for £295.

18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They do.

19. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

That’s silly money. By the time you pay postage as well.

T00DEEPBLUE likes this.
  20. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

That might be the price including stripping the old finish and It could be cheaper if an unfinished body is supplied. I haven't asked. I'm not sure the cost is particularly silly – the people at Fidelity are trying to make a living and the cost is what it is.

For comparison, a finished Mexican Fender poly body (Alder rather than Ash nowadays) is £390

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.