Nitro finish with UV protection?

brunocvieira

TDPRI Member
Hi guys, I'm planning to do a Fender Telecaster 1963 Replica in a few years and I started gathering information from now on. I'm going to paint it Artic White with .008 Silver Holographic Flakes (I know, the paint it's not vintage accurate, but I dig holo flakes too much). I don't want the guitar to yellow because it would look bad with the flakes, but I still want to use Nitrocellulose, since it will wear with my playing and I think that is awesome. Is there any kind of Nitro that has UV protection?

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Welcome brunocvieira!

To me, this sounds like a bit of a contradiction: you want it to wear quickly but not yellow. Have you considered using poly and then adding wear artificially? I wouldn't want that flake to fade and yellow either, and even the nitro with UV inhibitors might eventually do so well before you add 'real' wear and well before any modern poly.

But it's your call man, the only readily available nitro aerosol can with UV inhibitors is Deft (in the States). I'm sure there are others but this is the only one I know of, and I try to avoid the nitro with UV resistance. For metallic and flake jobs I prefer poly and I only use nitro because its so easy for me to work with, very forgiving.

brunocvieira

TDPRI Member
I don't want it to wear quickly, but I don't mind if after years and years with me the guitar wouldn't look the same. But the yellowing thing does bother me, because the holographic flakes would lose a lot of the charm. I do consider end up using polyurethane, but I wanted to use nitro since it will wear with me over the years. I already have a black tele with holographic flakes by the way.
ea3cc0e1f25699b91d4dea91b18bf22b.jpg
dc774b37b704ff610e593a14441c0886.jpg

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow, nice work!
Yeah, you can try the Deft. I used it over acrylic Ice Blue Metallic, waited a few months to level and polish. Guess what? the color shifted a little green already after a couple years.