1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nitro Finish is "staticky" in places

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VillainSean, Mar 2, 2021.

1. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Hello Gurus,
    I recently picked up a FCS Custom Esquire with a black nitro finish and when I touch certain areas, mainly where your arm usually rests, and on the back by the ferrules, there is a definite staticky feeling.
    I've never experienced this on any of my other nitro finished guitars. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just sort of strange...

Has anybody ever noticed this?
    What could be causing it?

Skydog1010 likes this.
  2. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I noticed this with my CS 51 pbass. I think it may have something to do with the finial polish stage. Like maybe it was over polished and got hot, turned tacky? It does eventually go away, it did on my bass in the forearm area. It was a NOS version and now after about 6 months it’s a relic! 6B7DC29E-B595-41B4-BC39-42809C82F4FD.jpeg

hemmings, Fendereedo and Skydog1010 like this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    I had the same issue with several MIM "Road Worn" Strat's and Tele's I bought back in 2018 - 2019.

The necks were the worst of it and followed closely by the Strat bodies. The Stratocaster bodies shared a common feature of a coat of Satin/Matte clear lacquer shot over the color coat. The lacquer they used simply was not cured.

I mentioned this problem on here and Strat-Talk which garnered almost immediate responses from someone who sounded like they were a Fender representative, stating; "It was a known problem".

Tele bodies were very dry and checked.

It all ended well with me selling all of the necks and recovering a handsome percentage of my investment in each instrument. More than covering the replacement of the necks. I still have (and play) one strat and one Tele.

If you are looking for a quick fix, you will not like the answer, at least not the way I did it, and it wasn't quick.

4. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

A first for me but this Winter my Strat and Tele started shocking my strum hand where the palm rests on the term. I thought it was sharp areas on the term, but no, it is sharp shocks that last for about 1/2 a song then go away.

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Playing barefoot on a wet basement floor with ungrounded amp?

6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've encountered static charges on my Tele pickguards in the form of crackling in the output signal- almost drove me crazy trying to find what was causing the crackle. The answer came from my lead player, a lifelong Tele man. He said static buildup, especially during the dry winter months, is caused by one's clothing brushing against the 'guard, and the "fix" is to rub an anti-static laundry dryer sheet on the pickguard- no more static cling (or crackle).

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I put a 1”x1” piece of foil between the control cavity to the pickguard. Make sure foil contacts the metal control plate, the finish and the bottom of the pickguard. This always seems to get rid of the static for me.

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like 2 different issues are being described. Staticky or tacky? Which is it?

9. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

Hardwood floors / barefoot / dry.

10. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Every time I've done a refin or more than a tiny spot repair with lacquer, the guitar's been a static magnet for a little while. Maybe ten days to two weeks. If it's happening long after the finishing process, it's probably something else.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tacky is just uncured lacquer. Give it time. Meantime, waxing the neck can help the playing feel.

Staticky is likely due to a grounding / shield problem. I'd look carefully (check with a meter) for any stray bit of metal in the guitar that is not grounded. Surprisingly it needn't be anywhere near the place you can make the scratchy sound.

12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

My only nitro finished guitar gave me static clicks in the dry prairie winter climate. I replaced the pickguard with Bakelite, and that cured it. YMMV. I live in humidland now, so it probably wouldn’t matter, but hey. Bakelite.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.