Nitro and heat

proxy

TDPRI Member
I’ve read some people say that a backbowed neck can be helped by clamping against a metal level with a backplate inserted in the middle, then putting it into an oven for an hour at 175 degrees.

Wouldn’t this cause nitro on a neck to catch fire?

speranza

TDPRI Member
I have never tried it but if we're talking 175°F that's barely hot enough to brew tea — I am not a chemist but Wikipedia suggests that nitrocellulose burns at 170°C, which is over 300°F

proxy

TDPRI Member
Alright, it’s been in the oven for an hour. No flames. :)

We’ll see if it helped the neck!

Last edited:

proxy

TDPRI Member
BEC10C9E-3D1F-4F8D-A412-E2990A121D3A.jpeg

Fresh out of my electric oven

Last edited:

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Put a little maple syrup on that.....good eatin'!!

Did you completely loosen the truss rod first? That would be important....

proxy

TDPRI Member
It worked! I’m so thrilled. I got this guitar used, and loved it, but when I went to set it up for Eb, I realized the truss was already at full relief.

I actually bought another of the same guitar new to tide me over while I went through warrantee replacement for the bowed neck, only to realize the new one didn’t connect the same way.

Sold the new one at a bit of a loss, and abandoned the idea of a replacement neck as it too might just not vibe with all the other variables.

All that made me determined to fix this one, and this trick worked a treat. Note: I was very careful while clamping to make sure the metal beam didn’t mash the frets, just brought them right to each other. Also, since I was transforming the shape of the neck, I was very careful to keep the bar and clamps very symmetrical. I’m not sure how easy it would have been for me to inadvertently put a twist in the neck, but I didn’t want to find out.

Also of note: my oven is electric. Please don’t take this as a recommendation - YMMV and please consult a professional before burning your house down. I’m just relaying what worked for me.

Last edited:

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry I'm late to the party. A nitrocellulose coating will take over 450 deg F before melting or burning. It is often used as or in heat resistant coatings in commercial applications on paper or paperboard.

Last edited:

proxy

TDPRI Member
If I had to do it again, I might try to find a beam that was a touch longer so that that connection points were at the furthest ends of the neck.

But it can’t be too much longer or then it won’t fit into an ordinary oven.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Glad it worked, it's about time all guitars were fitted with 2-way truss rods imo. I'm completely over the whole 'vintage vibe' nonsense, just make them the best you can.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
I would be interested to know if it would have worked without the oven. Maybe would have just taken longer?? Don't forget that baby is going to need to re-hydrate as well. I would also advise checking closely for any popped frets.

proxy

TDPRI Member
Glad it worked, it's about time all guitars were fitted with 2-way truss rods imo. I'm completely over the whole 'vintage vibe' nonsense, just make them the best you can.
I’m definitely in the camp of liking a hybrid approach… I like my appointments all vintage except for three things: flatter radius, compensated saddles, and dual truss.

But it’s personal. And apparently, even a single action truss can be made right again.

proxy

TDPRI Member
I would be interested to know if it would have worked without the oven. Maybe would have just taken longer?? Don't forget that baby is going to need to re-hydrate as well. I would also advise checking closely for any popped frets.
Good point about the rehydration and frets. Will keep an eye on things but so far so good. I’ll record back if there are any negative outcomes down the line. I will be playing this one a lot in the next months.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I would be interested to know if it would have worked without the oven.

What the heat does is it softens the glue between the neck and fretboard and allows the joint to slip just a teensy bit. When the neck cools, the reorientation of the two boards against each other relieves the compression and allows the strings to neck to pull the neck into relief.