Nine lives pretty much used up

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Matt Sarad, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

At 2 years old, I remember Uncle Fred swimming to the bottom of the pool to save me.
    At 13 I had pneumonia.
    At 14 I had Valley Fever, a fungal lung disease that lives in the soil here in Kern County
    When I was 15, I crashed the motorcycle going 35 in the oil fields near my farm north of Bakersfield. Broken collar bone and concussion sprinkled with road rash. No helmet,
    In my 20s I was sideswiped by a truck on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Imagine going backwards at 60mph watching other driver in shock.
    In my 30s I started highball bouldering. I got stuck in some dicey situations in the figure it out or get paralyzed or die height off the ground.
    The forties were without consequence.
    At 57 I crashed the Mt. bike and woke up in ICU with a skull fracture, collapsed lung, multiple broken ribs and vertebrae, and the same damn collar bone as before. Didn’t work for seven months. Spent three in cognitive rehab.
    The next Seven years were pretty good.
    Driving from San Francisco home to Bakersfield last Saturday, I had my Tweed Deluxe, PRS, Weissenborn, and classical guitar behind the seat in my Tacoma. I was in the fast lane going 80 like everyone else when I saw a green Accord drift from the slow lane to the left. It hit the rails and veered back to the right in a cloud of dust right in front of me. As I slammed n the brakes I yelled out,” Don’t you ****ing Hit me!”
    The Accord went of the shoulder, hit an incline, and flew into a gully.
    I pulled over and ran to the scene.
    Both airbags n the Accord had deployed.
    The car was empty. Two guys were talking on the shoulder.
    I found out who the driver was: an electrician who had been on a project with long days and not enough sleep. He fell asleep at the wheel and was standing. He asked me for a ride to the next exit where there was services and I gladly obliged.
    I was just 100 miles into my 300 mile trip when this happened.
    I’m very glad he didn’t hit me. It would have been a deadly pile up with close traffic at that speed.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Jim622, uriah1, P Thought and 7 others like this.
  2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

i have a pretty good list, been read last rites 3 times! But not even close to your resume!!!

Jim622, Ditchgator, Milspec and 2 others like this.
  3. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

With your luck I'd stay away from Vegas.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I too have used up all my survivor’s luck.
    I had a job when I was 18 that nearly killed me four times.
    I’ve also had a couple of very “close call” vehicle accidents, the last of which killed my dear friend/bass player Bill C.
    I’m glad I’m still here.
    I’m also not afraid to die.
    I’ve had a beautiful time.
    A few more “good” years would be nice.

Greggorios, idjster, Jim622 and 7 others like this.
  5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

64 seems to be a gift. I’m shooting for 70.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have rolled my 9 lives odometer over as well, really shocked that I am still around. I have died so many times now that I have my own doggy door on the pearly gates and an angel asking me "In or out, make up your mind". They tell me it wasn't my time yet and that I have more to do, but that must have just been a request by my boss because all i ever do these days is work.

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Here's hoping you get 'em!

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, that really is a lot for one person. Count your lucky stars. Well, maybe those are unlucky stars.

I was very glad I survived the first 40 years. Not sure how I pulled off that trick. I really thought getting past 2000 would be a miracle and maybe it was. I consider everything past the year 2000 as icing on the cake.

Full speed and leaving nothing on the table.

Fendereedo, Ditchgator and Matt Sarad like this.
  9. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Some people are more vulnerable than others. I had a friend like that and he is dead already. RIP

Of course - nobody knows how much is left..

Fendereedo, Ditchgator and Matt Sarad like this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I forgot about the late afternoon at sunset on my longboard heading out to sea on an unseen offshore current. My arms were noodles after all that paddling.

Now I have a cute little dog n my lap as I mentally prepare for duo practice this afternoon and band practice tonight.
    I’ve had my coffee.
    Time for a beer?

11. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

So, you've not yet suffered a lightning strike?

Fendereedo, Obsessed and Matt Sarad like this.
  12. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

SSSHHHHHHH!;):cool:

Every minute is borrowed time. So...enjoy and learn.
    When you've learned enough and enjoyed enough, you will have another world to explore and discover new things. Always pushing the borders of safe and ...less safe.
    Here's to you all!
    Heroes every one;):cool:

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

My Great Uncle Fred Bannowsky was struck by lightning two different times, both on horseback while riding home in storms on his Texas Ranch. Both horses were killed, but Uncle Fred lived to 95.

stevemc, Fendereedo and brookdalebill like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been so lucky in avoiding death, that when I finally assume room temperature, it'll be anticlimactic. Pulled from the bottom of a canal at around seven or eight years old and resuscitated. Fallen off a house and landed mostly in yard clippings. Wrecked a car dong a hundred and five miles an hour. Been up in so many trees kicking out varmints during my houndsman days I can't count, twice with a mountain lion. Had a close encounter with two bears. Had a runaway on a downhill with a 105,000 lb dozer on my lowbed truck and trailer. Fell fourteen feet upside down in a sump when the dirt gave way beneath me in the 966D Cat loader I was operating. Had cottonseed fall on me one night from a fifty foot high pile when I was out of a loader moving vent boxes, and was barely able to dig my way out. Took a gun away from a perp trying to get in the car with my wife and daughter and lived to tell the tale. Lots more, but I can't think of them right now. I think most everyone has a tale to tell, 'cause you just can't get out of this world alive, anyway that's what old Hank said.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, I can see why you hitting a golf ball around seems so attractive. Congrats for surviving all of that.

Matt Sarad, Fendereedo and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Maybe an odd reply here, but the closest I come to belief is a probabilistic universe and I say belief only because of incomplete data. That said, what happens tomorrow can't be known. It can only be predicted with a high degree of uncertainty. It could be the last day or the next of many. The only thing we know with certainty is that the last day will come. There are folks who believe that by changing their lifestyle, they can extend their lifespan. Maybe yes maybe no. Will that bus cross over into your lane next Friday? How will a keto diet affect that? What's the probability? Much lower if you stay off roads with busses for sure. There are others who want to ride the adrenalin rush until they hit the wall... literally. We all live with our life choices. We all will die. What's your life worth? Is it worth more cautiously waiting for the end or is it worth more well lived. I know where I come down on this. I have transient bundle (electrical) blocks in my heart. I still snorkel out beyond the lava wall once a year. It scares the poop out of my wife. If all three bundle branches fail, my heart rate drops to 60 beats. I'll never be able to swim back from open ocean to shore if that happens. What are the odds? There's some small probability my heart could stop dead tomorrow. There's some probability that that will happen 30 years from now. Both are unlikely and I'm not going to change the way I live trying to forestall the inevitable.

P Thought and Fendereedo like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Matt Sarad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Adventures I've had some. Give me a nice warm day on the golf course now, that'll do me just fine.

Matt Sarad, Obsessed and Fendereedo like this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

People are extremely resilient and extremely fragile at the same time. You'll know when your number is up. Or, maybe you wont.

Matt Sarad and Fendereedo like this.
  20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

A cousin of mine has bad luck like that. Last year he had a rebar through his jaw, and through his eye socket. Thankfully it was a clean hole, and he suffered no damage to his vision, or eye. He has always had accidents and illness along the path of his life.

Matt Sarad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.