Nightcrawler hunting...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I'm not that obsessive when it comes to the lawn but it gets pretty bad.

richa likes this.
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know about AC, but an old telephone generator works for both worms and catfish both!...According to a friend...

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Heck, I don't even fish for fish to eat anymore, I just get take out... BBQ too.

richa likes this.
  4. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Haven't done it for years now, a can of nightcrawlers and head to the bridge over Tippy river. Catching anything but catfish or carp was a rarity.
    My favorite fishing story: a coworker was at a favorite fishing spot on the river, usually a half dozen people there. A guy sat down beside him and baited his hook with smelly half-rotten liver as my bud was getting a pinch of snuff. The guy reaches over with his baiting fingers and says "mind if i take a pinch?"
    :confused:

richa likes this.
  5. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

richa likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I always found gardens to be the best place for catching nightcrawlers. My cousin and I used to wait until dark, then go out in his garden with flashlights.

After we got about 25-30 of them, we’d walk down to the creek with fishing poles in tow.

Brings back pleasant memories of the 1970’s. We caught carp and catfish, and they were huge! Sorry, no pics. A couple six packs of beer and a little campfire.

Occasionally, we would catch a snapper. You could sorta tell, because there was this “snag” feel on your line, and you had to reel quickly, or you lost your rig.

Thanks for this thread!

richa likes this.
  7. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

Well truth be told that's about all I manage too. Managed to take the kids a few times just to make sure they weren't completely bereft of the experience but it's just not handy like it was when I was a kid. Plus the ridiculous fishing regs are as big a phonebook. Used to fit on a 5x7 sheet of paper back then back there.

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Ain’t no UL Approval on that death trap, lol. :eek:

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've done that

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We did it on the golf course and yeah, hundreds of them on a good night. In my old age I get them for $1.50 per dozen at a great bait shop and keep them forever in the fridge.

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

We called them 'dew worms'...we'd get them at the local golf course and sell them to a bait shop. You had to be a bit careful because you couldn't just yank them out of their holes because they could grip somehow....maybe they would swell up....and then they would break in two...so you had to 'stroke' them up and down :eek: and that would get them to come out in one piece. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

12. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

A neighbor friend of mine used to use one of those and it worked OK. I thought it was safer just to go out at night.

stratofortress likes this.
  13. Mike R.

Mike R. TDPRI Member

Wow. This post made me flashback to having a lot of fun getting ready to go fishing. Catching these guys was definitely part of the trip. :)

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Did this with my grandfather back in the early 60s. His neighbors garden was our night time searching grounds.

Once I proved my fishing tenacity and talents with worms, he took me under his wing to learn flyfishing and that started a whole new era for me.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.