Night work.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 18, 2019.

1. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

There are things that happen at night that are necessary for your comfort/convenience in the morning.

Jim622, Greggorios, tery and 2 others like this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I used to work rotating shifts. First shift was great, graveyard second best, swing shift was horrible.
    I never knew when or what I was supposed to be eating, or sleeping. Missed out on all the family stuff.
    Graveyard wasn't so bad familywise because I could have dinner with the family, tuck in the kids then be back for breakfast with them. And sleep all day in a quiet house.

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

In my line of work we do night shifts so that phone services aren't impacted during the day.

Toto'sDad and Greggorios like this.
  4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah! All that and the Time change,Woo Hoo!:)

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't get too fired up and be careful with those farts. I have been reading the multiple warnings here on TDPRI about what happens with farts as we get older.;)

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

thats all fine and good but what of us vampires , what are we going to do , I foresee unrest over this!

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

OK....now you got me thinking outside the "jar".....I've got an almost empty jar of sliced jalapenos, and I'm gonna get some green olives and put in that jalapeno/vinegar juice....and let it marinade for a while. Are we on to something, or can you already buy this in a store?

8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I worked swing shifts in the USAF so I could attend college during the day. I got off duty, had the late night meal at the dining hall, was able to hang out for awhile, and off to class in the morning after some sleep.

My father worked swings pretty much his whole working life, plus he was a part time on call union bartender and a bar owner for a few years.

My uncle worked in a steel mill, and as a child I overheard my father tell my mother that my uncle was working graveyard. I was shocked and asked why he left the mill to become a gravedigger.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've only ever worked one night shift job. To make ends meet during a quiet patch in my then normal job (contract draftsman) I worked night shift at an injection moulding company. The job entailed pulling hot plastic buckets out of an automated injection moulding machine and getting it on a pallet before the next one comes out. When the pallet was full you had to quickly set up a new pallet and keep going. About 3:00am was the worst time.

Luckily it was only a short term job.

10. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I worked public transit my entire career. Did a few years here and there of graves. This time is needed to inspect, clean, repair transit vehicles, bus and rail. Then do it all over again the next night. I couldn’t get used to it, taking the next opportunity to go swing or days. We had unions and Fed laws we had to adhere to, 12 on, 12 off. I’m sure there there were DOT regs you had to adhere to. Long haul truckers I’m guessing had pressure from dispatchers to get it done with no regards to safety.

Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I dunno if you can buy 'em at the store, but I'm here to tell you that stuffed olives that taste like chili peppers are a delight with breakfast.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

One time when my wife was going to Phoenix with me to pilot, we had my extra trailers and her pilot car on back headed out across the desert around two or three in the morning. The lights were dimmed down low so as not to reflect in your eyes, and the cb was turned down and the endless chatter was pretty muted but always there. My wife looks over at me, and said; This is a different world you live in out here, isn't it? Unless you've been out there, you just can't know. I only did about twenty years. 37? I salute you my friend.

Greggorios, nojazzhere and tery like this.
  13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

If fast food and 7-11 closed at 8pm, I bet diabetes and obesity could be just about eradicated. Before 24 hour stores, a late night snack was an apple.:lol:

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

We're the children of the nighttime, and our mama loves us well.

I'd like you to know, at four in the morning, things are comin' alive.

I go out walkin', after midnight.

You know the night life, ain't no good life.

Whatever gets you through the night, is alright alright.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

We may have to make exceptions for medical, and dietetic reasons.

Greggorios and 24 track like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Those would have been dangerous to the environment gaseous, wet, or solid! (and innocent bystanders)

Obsessed likes this.
  17. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Doubler deleter.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  18. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Well, it wouldn’t be the worst personal preference that an Exalted Ruler forced his people to embrace. Still, we members of the Resistance will roll our eyes and keep the critical machinery running while you sleep.

19. Toto'sDad

I was planning on just stopping everything, then we'd go from there on what needed to run during the off hours. I'll bet if you took all would Like to have it out, and left only the Have to have in, there wouldn't be near as much as you'd think.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

That's not necessarily true, that's the thinking that got us in this mess, but if you just put it off, it'll probably work itself out. There were no all night livery stables in the old west.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.