Night work.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Outside of entertainment, it's my considered opinion that people should not be allowed to work after 8:00pm for any reason other than life threatening situations. I think heavy hauler trucks should have to park by 7:59 pm. It should be okay for them to park along side the road if they can't make it to the next open spot. If you have not driven a truck for two, three, or four days without stopping for anything but fuel, you can't possibly know what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure the night shift at ANYTHING was probably invented by either Darth Vader, or a close relative. The entire world's population could be improved with a good nights sleep. Just as soon as I become exalted ruler of the universe, I'm going to make this a galaxy wide rule.

PS:

If EVERYBODY got a good night's sleep, there probably wouldn't be any life threatening situations after 8:00 pm anyway.

PPS:

It was a good thing when television stations went off at midnight.

GO TO BED!

[​IMG]

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Right on! I'm sorry it took me so long to appreciate the value of a good nights sleep. I vote that Toto'sDad be elevated to Exalted Ruler Of This and All Possible Universes immediately.

3. Toto'sDad

When I become ruler of all that I survey, I'm gonna turn myself into a superhero!

[​IMG]

4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, since your going to be the new Grand Poobah soon, could you do something about this Crazy:confused: number of commercials on TV, and get em' to turn them down too!! And while your at it, could you fire up the wood chipper, and hang that insurance annoyance Flo right over it:),, That's all for now your Poobahness;)

5. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I don't know, I'm nocturnal. i'd me more likely to fall asleep at the wheel in the morning.

verb boten likes this.
  6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i work 1130am to 8pm...we are always busy on mondays and tuesdays...they always offer OT...but by 8pm...im tired...i want to get home and eat and relax...also our building closes at 9pm...so i could only work till then...but i dont...coming in early is an option...but i have stuff to get done in the mornings that i cant do after work...especially in the fall/winter when it gets dark early

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If taxes and interest were abolished the night workers could pick and choose what they wanted to do. Sleep would be sounder for most people too.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I liked "working" at night. plenty of time to prop my feet up and read.

Chinacat likes this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a youngern, back in the Plasticine Era, I did five Summer's of working Graveyard.
    It was the only work I could get that had decent pay.
    Still, the Toll on my Soul was great.
    Drove a Forklift at a Del Monte Warehouse.
    Met many, many, Truck Drivers that were hopped up on Crosstops.

The lack of sleep made them ... Unpredictable at best.
    A large portion of the Night Crew had substance abuse problems as well.

I stayed away from that mess as best I could.
    On one stretch, they worked us 72 days straight.
    Confusion reigned, tempers flew on a regular basis.

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Abolish headlights on cars - that will slow them down !

orangeblossom likes this.
  11. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

There is a curious disconnect between what biology and medicine 'know' or strongly suspect, and what we all 'know' in a common-sense way that might inform our personal and collective choices, and inform stuff like policy and laws and whatnot.

The lab just down the hall from the one I worked in a few years back was publishing papers in top journals that made pretty clear that night work, jet lag, and some other commonplace instances of sleep deprivation and photoperiod reversal were easily as dangerous to public health as stuff we all know about today and avoid or expect to be protected from, or risks we expect to be specially compensated for knowingly taking on.

I don't think it is driven by ignorance or access to information. All that stuff is out there. It's like we can't allow ourselves to know it until the powers that be have found a way for the knowledge not to cost us (or them) more money, not to inconvenience the economy. Cheers!

nojazzhere and Paul in Colorado like this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with you for the most part. And why are little kids still out playing after the street lights are on? Let's make night time dark again and go to sleep.

On the other hand, I do have some nocturnal friends who don't function in the day light. They need to have something to do, but maybe they could do it at home if it's not too loud and wakes me up.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Life used to be similar to what you're suggesting in Ft Worth when I was a kid.(up through high school) Most stores closed by 6 or 7 PM. (exception: Montgomery Ward stayed open until 9PM on Fridays) We had ONE 7-11 on the westside that was open 24 hrs, and charged outrageous prices for stuff....BECAUSE THEY WERE THE ONLY OPEN STORE. At 10 PM, the traffic lights on Camp Bowie went to flashing yellow (on Camp Bowie) and flashing red on cross streets....meaning cross traffic stop and yield to traffic before crossing or turning. Camp Bowie is the "main drag" from downtown west to Loop 820. You could drive many miles without hitting a red light. The ONLY cars or people out at 4AM were cops, and us paper boys. (and we all ended up at that 7-11) West Freeway rush hour traffic added MAYBE ten minutes to a typical commute.
    So, TD, if you're chosen King of the World before me (and I'd definitely vote for you) don't forget the shopping cart dilemma and the checkout lines we've talked about.....and then go ahead with the big truck problem. It's unfortunate that we at TDPRI have solutions to all of the world's problems, yet no one seems to listen. :(

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Just as you say nojazzhere, we got ALL of the solutions, we got solutions to problems ain't even been invented yet, I don't understand how they can ignore us. I think it's 'cause they ain't been sleeping enough.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Funny, they got all of them rules, and maybe they can enforce 'em now that they have everyone on computers, but they sure didn't back when I was driving. I've seen guys go to sleep standing straight up, and just fall over like an old high line pole. I've had so many log books going at one time, sometimes I'd just have to pull over and try and sort them out before I went through the scales. It's amazing how long you can stay awake when you're driving a truck.

String Tree and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

My truck driving ended in early 1995. I had seen guys go through fences, roll trucks, run into other trucks, run into cars, and I finally decided you can't change the world, but you can change you. I took some classes, learned to type enough to get by, bought a computer, and got myself a job where you went to work in the morning, and got off in the afternoon. Got weekends off most of the time, it was pretty cool being a human being again. I feel sorry for every trucker who sits behind the steering wheel, 'cause one day, if he's lucky, he'll get it figured out, and he might get himself a day job. Then he can roll up next to momma when it gets time to go to bed, instead of bunking up in the sleeper. (If he gets the chance)

You think you've had some rude experiences, but try coming in off the road when your socks and underwear are trying to grow together, and some idiot dispatcher who smells like ham and eggs and after shave lotion is trying to get you to go back out again, just for a day or two.

Ricky D., uriah1 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

TD I pulled mostly flatbeds running 43 states for over 37 years … and I never worked a day in my life .

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I worked nightshift for probably 20 years and have been on the truck routes for days back when I worked for a local trucking company hauling prime beef....I understand the pain. I also think the world was far better off when most businesses were closed by 6 pm and the tv went off the air at night. This whole 24/7 cycle can't be good for anyone's health and certainly hasn't been good for the family unit.

That said, I lived for a year above the arctic circle in Norway where daylight hours during the winter was almost nonexistent, so they are the real pros when it comes to working the nightshift. From what I saw, it basically meant a lot of drinking and some wild parties.

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere and Obsessed like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My best songwriting comes after midnight. Also, there is just too many things to do and experience to get a "good night's" sleep. The answer is always ... more coffee.

Besides, I got way more pay working graveyard to pay my way through college. Just sayin'

That said, I am impressed that @Toto'sDad is thinking outside the box, so I'll dwell on this idea for awhile.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I got to thinking outside the box this morning and had some chili peppers for breakfast, along with some olives I had thoughtfully placed in the jar with them. Later on this evening, I thought I was gonna have to call the fire brigade! Thinking outside the box can get you all fired up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.