NID - Air 192/14

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Well... after two very happy years with a Soundcraft Notepad 12FX it all came crashing to a halt over the past week as the mixer/interface started to become very noisy... even when disconnected from the computer. A wine first appeared, followed by static, and now hiss and rumbles. It was a great sounding 4x4 interface.... I was hoping for at least the 4-5 year life cycle I am used to. 2 years is rather short!

So after a lot of research, today I am picking up an M-Audio AIR 192/14, 8in/4out interface. Serious overkill for my day to day use, but the 8 inputs will open the option of taking it to rehearsals with my laptop and capturing some decent recordings with some separation.

I wasn't prepared to replace the Soundcraft this soon.. but I've been left with no choice. Oh well, Merry Christmas to me :rolleyes:

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I got the AIR home, hooked it up, and all is working as it should.
No more noise... my ears will be happy once again ;)

First thoughts is that the gain structure is very different from the Soundcraft. Much lower levels on the inputs (ie: I have to run the inputs hotter) and the output seems a little lower as well, but that's easy to compensate. I also have no obvious "loopback" (record computer output back to the computer) so I'll have to get creative to set that up. It was really easy on the Soundcraft.

The build quality is excellent... and it sounds good. This time I've added some extended warranty... I'll get my 5 years out of this one :D

air.jpg

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
But... but... if you got the extended warranty, how will you justify replacing this one with the new one in a couple of years? That's why I never get the warranty - things last or get repaired/replaced, and I don't get new toys.

On the other hand, congrats! Those extra outputs are fun, too. Time to start with outboard - I recommend a couple good stompboxes.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
But... but... if you got the extended warranty, how will you justify replacing this one with the new one in a couple of years? That's why I never get the warranty - things last or get repaired/replaced, and I don't get new toys.

I don't disagree with the idea... I just can't afford it :lol:

On the other hand, congrats! Those extra outputs are fun, too.

4 outs is critical for me.... I could survive with just 2 inputs in my project studio but never less than 4 outs.