1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nickel-silver cover noise...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by dinomike77, Aug 6, 2012.

1. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I posted a couple of weeks back regarding my change from a brass cover to a nickel silver cover on the Duncan STR-1 in my Squier CVC. While I received some helpful responses, I am still of the opinion that the pickup is noisier than the it was before when my hands are not touching metal on the guitar.

I have properly grounded the cover and when I am touching metal on the guitar, all 3 positions have comprable noise levels, which is honestly not that much at all. (Duncan Broadcaster in bridge position).

But when my hand is OFF the guitar, there is considerably more high buzz from the neck and middle positions.

My question is whether anyone with experience with both types has noticed an increase in noise from using nickel-silver vs. brass when not touching metal on the guitar? Is that high tone interference that I'm grounding out a side effect of the increased treble response of nickel-silver?

Thank you in advance for any comments you'd care to share.

-Mike

2. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I have read that the nickel-silver cover interferes with the magnetic field less. That makes the pickup more sensitive to both your strings AND any interference.

How often are you not touching a metal part on your guitar? I mean, you've just about always got a finger on at least one string, right?

3. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

I mean when the guitar is in my lap and I am not touching the guitar at all. Granted, this doesn't happen when I'm actually playing. But when I'm grabbing a sip of barley soda with the guitar in my lap or hanging on a strap, I notice it. Your statement about picking up more interference is what I was thinking, I was just trying to get some corroborating experiences. Thank you for your help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.