Nickel ferrules for your Warmoth bodies?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tele-Meister, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister Tele-Meister

Hey again,

Figured out the nickel bridge fiasco (Philadelphia luthier tools or nickel plate a chrome one), but now I'm stuck on the ferrules. Warmoth told me that they drill for 0.323" holes, so only 0.323" diameter ferrules should fit. I'd love to buy theirs... but it's, hey wouldn't you know, CHROME. WHY WHYYYYY. They darn ferrules, so it probably doesn't even matter... but where did you guys get your ferrules for your Warmoth bodies?

Thanks!!

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Afflicted

Stewmac has nickel but they're 5/16 which I figure is around .3125. Not sure how loose that’d be.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

FWIW I have had to enlarge the holes a bit with my last few builds. I just turned a drill bit by hand into them. Also be careful if you use a soldering iron to press them in. Might ripple your finish.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  4. Tele-Meister

Ok so I will probably get the Gotohs then, 8.30mm, while the hole is 8.20mm. I guess I'll have to widen it a bit!

5. Tele-Meister

I think I'll have to go bigger rather than smaller... I hope widening out the string ferrule holes isn't too difficult.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Is there a way to accurately tell the difference between chrome and nickle?

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Nickel is slightly yellow compared to bright silver for chrome. I think nickel plating is a step before chrome plating.

old wrench, RobRiggs and Tele-Meister like this.
  8. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

The first thing you want to determine is what type of string ferrule do you want to use and how you want to install it :)

The vintage Fender type are usually installed in a stepped hole - 5/16" dia. hole for the body of the ferrule, along with a shallow 3/8" dia. counter-bore so the lip or flange on the ferrule is set flush with the back of the body.

However, some folks install the vintage Fender ferrules in a straight 5/16" hole, so the lip or flange on the ferrule sticks up proud of the body.

There are other vintage type ferrules, too - I know Gotoh makes some - that are metric sized and take a slightly different sized hole than the Fender ones

Then there are other "modern" types of string ferrules as well - ;)

So, you definitely want to check hole sizes and ferrule diameters closely so you end up with a nice, clean fit and installation :).

I usually use the Fender vintage string ferrules and drill the stepped holes so the ferrules sit flush or just a hair above the back of the body - it's a little more work to install them that way, but it just looks right to me.

Oh yeah, the Fender brand vintage string ferrule do come nickel-plated, too :)

Tele-Meister likes this.
  9. Tele-Meister

Yeah exactly.
    But you may have raised a good point. On more prevalent pieces of hardware, nickel definitely looks different from chrome, but for little ferrules on the back? Is it that big of a difference?

FuncleManson likes this.
  10. Tele-Meister

Thanks for the valuable information! Yes I like the clean vintage look too. However, since I'm getting a Warmoth body, their ferrule holes are 8.20mm or 0.323 inches. The Gotoh's I found (nickel :) ) were 8.30mm and the fender nickels are 5/16", or 7.94 mm.... So I technically need a 8.20mm ferrule to fit in flush. But maybe the damn 0.1 (not even a full millimeter) more is not the biggest deal-- it should still fit and maybe it will provide a tighter fit! Anyways I contacted Warmoth too, I just wanted to know what you guys did! Thanks for all the help, I love you all :)

Attached Files:

11. Tele-Meister

I did not send a picture, don't know why it has some silhouette of a png in my reply

12. old wrench

Lammie has it right - chrome is a hard clear oxide that is applied over polished nickel - that's why chrome has a "whiter and brighter" looking color to it.

Nickel has a softer looking glow compared to the harsh glare of chrome ;)

King-of-Tone and Tele-Meister like this.
  13. Tele-Meister

Yup!

14. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Chrome reflects blue. Nickel reflects more yellowish.

archetype and Tele-Meister like this.
  15. old wrench

I'm not familiar with Warmoth bodies, so I'm not much help with their hole sizes :)

Warmoth is a good reputable outfit - I think I'd ask them what ferrules they recommend to match up with their holes ;)

16. Tele-Meister

Exactly what I did, thanks for the advice!

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Warmoth do not "drill for 0.323" holes." That statement doesn't even make sense. You don't "drill for a hole." You "drill a hole" for something that will go into the hole.

Their ferrules are actually designed to fit standard 5/16" holes...but they're the straight-knurled type. These were designed as an improvement over the smooth Fender style that has been in use for eons. What needed improving? Well, Fender Ferrules fit Fender bodies just about as well as they fit Warmoth bodies: a bit loosely.

But they are usually tight enough once the finish is applied...and if not, they can simply be glued in.

You can also get the old-style (pre-'68) holes drilled for flush ferrules, which tend to stay in quite a bit better than the post-'67 non-flush ferrules...not to mention that they look and feel better, IMO.

Bottom line: Get 5/16" string ferrules, which certainly are available in nickel finish, from several makers. You just have to choose smooth or knurled.

Gotoh's blueprints show their ferrules at 8.3 mm, including the teeth. Warmoth's Website says that their ferrules fit 8.2 mm holes, not the they ARE 8.2 mm wide, including the teeth. Read between the lines to figure out that knurled from Warmoth or Gotoh share the same measurements and are possibly the same exact part.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  18. Tele-Meister

Very true, sorry about the typo.

Well I wasn’t able to read between the lines before because I had no idea about the whole teeth vs no teeth thing, me not knowing barely anything on ferrules and not wanting to mess up is the reason why I came here. Now that I actually have context, I know the Gotohs should be good, so thanks for the information! Glad that they should be able to fit.

19. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Tele-Meister and old wrench like this.
  20. old wrench

This! . . . . is good information :)

Tele-Meister likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.