Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - great music and telecaster party

Jensen

Tele-Meister
Lately I have been listening quite a lot to Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets. Their Live at the Roundhouse has really made me listen to the pre Dark Side stuff with a new interest.

To be honest I am a huge Pink Floyd fan but never really had much interest in the stuff Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets are playing. But when I heard them live I started to really see what was hidden (at least to my ears - probably my fault) in those old records. While I had always loved some of those classics in never interpretations there was a lot of the old stuff I hardly knew.

Anyway, I really like the balance between respecting the original stuff but not playing it note for note like the original records like a tribute band would often do. Or, in some cases, perhaps try to do. Great tribute bands exist, by the way.

Anyway, apart from being a great record in itself the Live at the Roundhouse is also a true Telecaster or t-style guitar party. At times the Teles are replaces by strats which is equally as good sounding.

A great interview with guitarist Lee Harris from Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets can be found here: https://www.gilmourish.com/?p=8344

Axegrinder77

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Was a great show. Mason is a seriously underrated drummer. That music is cool for any Floyd fan. Honestly though, I can understand why it's mostly untouched by Roger and David over the past few decades. I think Syd is an integral part.

Chip

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for this. Really pleased you enjoy what we do.
Looking forward to getting back out there. (I’ve actually had a new Tele built by the Fender Custom Shop for the next trek).

Great news Lee!

Can’t wait to see you if you make it to the Cleveland area.

Got any details on what the Custom Shop is building you?

Lee Harris

TDPRI Member
QUOTE="Chip, post: 10727749, member: 7756"]Great news Lee!

Got any details on what the Custom Shop is building you?[/QUOTE]
Cheers!
It’s been built and was delivered to the UK just as you know what hit us all. Subsequently it’s been in storage and I still haven’t played it (I live in France) .
It’s a Tele in HLE Gold with a Bigsby.
More here

Last edited:

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like the story that Guy Pratt tells before "Nile Song". Guy has played bass in Pink Floyd, with David solo, with Roger solo, and now with Nick. In rehearsals for a David Gilmour tour, Guy said "I think we should play 'The Nile Song'". David replied "I think you should join a different band."

Chip

Friend of Leo's
QUOTE="Chip, post: 10727749, member: 7756"]Great news Lee!

Got any details on what the Custom Shop is building you?
Cheers!
It’s been built and was delivered to the UK just as you know what hit us all. Subsequently it’s been in storage and I still haven’t played it (I live in France) .
It’s a Tele in HLE Gold with a Bigsby.
More here[/QUOTE]

I love all that gold!

hopefully you get your hands on it soon.

Lee Harris

TDPRI Member
I like the story that Guy Pratt tells before "Nile Song". Guy has played bass in Pink Floyd, with David solo, with Roger solo, and now with Nick. In rehearsals for a David Gilmour tour, Guy said "I think we should play 'The Nile Song'". David replied "I think you should join a different band."

The punchline being “So I did” haha