1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

nice source for RCA 6V6 black plates

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by alexwilds, Dec 13, 2019.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I am currently using a FoMoCo 6V6 in my Champ 600 . Ironically , the Champ came with a Chinese made 6L6 in it . Only found out when I did the swap .

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Tell the Formula Ford guys about their POS engine. Of any of the East Coast short track four cylinder classes. Up until recently the hot setup was an '80s Fox body Mustang with a warmed over 2.3 liter (Pinto!) engine. Still, a 40 year old design with two valves per cylinder can't compete with VTEC.

http://store.esslingeracing.com/cart/default.aspx

We had a yellow Vega wagon with a four speed. I beat the crap out of that thing!

Problem with the Vega was vicious piston slap. Oil consumption would rise to about four gallons per mile by the time the car hit 50,000 miles. Tear it down, the pistons had converted themselves into "slippers". No piston skirts. No trace of the missing skirts anywhere.

Mind you, a cast iron V8 with cast iron valve seats was in for a "valve job" at 80,000 miles. That's cut and lap valve seats, new cam, new lifters, new timing chain.

That's if you used leaded gas. The valves sink into the heads in as little as 10,000 miles on those old engines on unleaded.

Anyway, the Pontiac Astre had roughly the same engine as the Vega with a cast iron block. Same car, different engine block, different grille.

A cottage industry sprang up swapping V8s into Vegas. Still, add them to the list of cars that were everywhere and then were nowhere. Cars like the Yugo or the Chrysler K Car.

Or another spectacular Chrysler idea, the Renault Alliance.

BobbyZ and telemnemonics like this.
  3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the explanation and the photo! I'll have to take a look at those "amperex" tubes I have.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Or another spectacular Chrysler idea, the Renault Alliance.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah that thing! I had a French built '75 Renault R17 Gordini. (probably spelled that last part wrong) It was cheap car but it ran like a top and was the first car I owned that didn't use oil between changes, thought something was wrong with it!
    So a friend calls me and says he just bought a new Aliniance or that other one, they built with AMC in the States. He bought it because he liked mine and it'd been a decent car. Didn't have the heart to tell him he just bout a pile of junk. He found out on his own, never even got it paid off before he took it back to the dealer and told them where to put it.
    Then he filed bankruptcy.

5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Pinto? Vega? Renault? Puhleeeaase.

My dad loved a bargain. As a result, my brother and I got to drive across the country in a 1971 Simca. He pointed out it got great gas mileage. That was especially true when it developed both a bad stall and starter problems in South Dakota -- we had to push it for a gravity start to the top of every ridge in the Black Hills, Wyoming, and Colorado.

1971-simca-1100-right.jpg

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Thankfully my dad never found a Simca! He almost bought an Audi. . . .Fox I believe. Tried it out over a weekend liked it but didn't bite. Those were on the same top ten worst cars list I showed him once. Along with the Vega and AMC Pacer he did buy. Actually other than the door and window handles and cranks breaking the Pacer was a decent car, went way over 100k miles with nothing done to that inline 6 besides oil and plug changes.

7. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I only build my own amps so alternate heater voltages is not a big issue. I also like to have a few spares if I use a tube. I sort of got carried away when our dollar was at par with the US dollar. Shipping was reasonable then, less so now. You can still get 12V6's NOS in places, same with other odd voltage tubes at reasonable prices.

[​IMG]

About a dozen 6K6's top left, roughly 20 12V6's to the right. Below the 6K6's 30-12BK5's, about 20-12AB5's, 30-12AQ5/6AQ5's, 12-6W6's 2-6W6's, 12-8CW5's 15-15CW5's, 12-6AK6's, 2-25L6's. The box left of them, variants of the EL84's, Some 6L6 types, a few Russian attempts of them, Compactrons (6AQ5 power tube in them), a few sweep tubes for fun.

The 8CW5's can be used in series in place of the 15CW5's if I ever run out of them. All are NOS or in the case of the unboxed 6K6's and 12V6's test as new. Except for the 6L6's which I grabbed when I was told to send all the tubes from the electronic program for recycling my second day working at a college (sent two pallets of loose tubes to the recycler). Four 6V6's upper right, almost missed them.

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Best car my old man ever had was a '79 VW Dasher aka VW Thrasher. I got it for chump change from a junkyard in New Jersey. A guy used it to tow his sailboat from Newport News, Virginia up to Newport, Rhode Island. Only that time he didn't make it. He lost a wheel cylinder. The brake fluid washed all the grease out of the wheel bearings. The balls melted and welded the race to the stub axle. The driver's side rear wheel went woogedy, woogedy, woogdedy.

I paid the yard's asking price on the condition that I got an hour to strip whatever I wanted from an Audi Fox on top of the pile. Audi Fox brakes look different but they're interchangeable with VW Thrasher. A fresh wheel cylinder from the Napa on the corner, a greasy afternoon of heartfelt cussing, eat viola... (et voila in case it lost something in translation. :))

The old man beat on that thing for better than a decade. He hauled hay in it. He hauled firewood in it. He hauled livestock in it. It towed my hundred buck minty unrestored '67 Bug home. I want a do- over on that one!

I scarfed up a dozen 5Y3s from British Columbia the other day. Got stuff like Rogers or Marconi that's scarce down here.

Got a few Canadian GEs.

They are mostly NOS.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

The lower right hand corner beside the sweep tubes are three 5Y3's, one loose and two in bubble wrap. Think they are pretty fresh, at least the two bubbled. I also have one or two somewhere out of radios. Most likely I will leave most of these in my will, or they might go as spares for amps if I make some for people. All the 12BK5's, what was I thinking? They were cheap though.

10. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I’ve searched but can’t find any. You lucky dog!

11. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's a German made RFT. The spacers are the tell.

12. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Any pictures? The stop sign are seen on other tubes that are not RCA

13. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, that's what I was saying back on Dec. 13 in post #8. :D

blues likes this.
  14. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    I love old tubes in old amps. I also love old signage and cool retro stuff both music and automotive related. So this past fall I saw this for sale, the guy selling it said the sign light worked and I made him an offer and bought it. I didn't even ask if the tube tester worked or not and the cabinet was locked, but I figured the inside was empty other than the shelves. When I got it home, I jimmied it open and was quite shocked to see all these tubes... 85% I have no idea what to do with but a cool find either way, they're all NOS never been out of the box with production dates between 1952 and 1963. The tester works too. It sits in my living room now.. Cool artifact of a simpler time.

20191020_153014_resized.jpg

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, that is a blurry picture taken from far enough away to show the whole unit...very nice! Congrats! Through the blur I saw one NIB RCA6V6GT. I am sure there are a lot,of radio and TV tubes.

16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Not contracted. Opel AG was a division of GM since 1929. Only recently sold off. They just marketed existing Opels through Buick dealers to try to make them seem upscale enough to justify a somewhat high price for their segment.

Now, back to talking tubes.

17. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Yeah there were a few 6V6's, 6L6's, 5Y3's, 5u4's, a 12ay7 and three 12ax7's. The rest I think are radio, tv and other audio tubes. I did see a couple of 6K6's and 6sL7's as well. There's a bunch of other 12, 17, 25 and 35 Volt tubes I'd guess for TV sets. Again though, I'm not familiar with about 85% of them...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  18. Wally

Nice score.....and a great conversation piece. I have not seen one of these around here. They probably ended up in the dump long ago.

19. Wally

Any 50c5’s. There should be some American Five type of tubes....12,35 and 50 heater numbers.
    Gotta keep the widow makers going!!!! Eeeehaw..... I have a couple of batches of these types of tubes from radio/TV servicemen.

Intubator likes this.
  20. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

Funny, I snagged the same tester just as a curiosity. hadn't seen another
    It was in the living room for a couple of years until a recent re-decorate by wifey

[​IMG]

Intubator and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.