Nice app for the weather nerds.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Sep 22, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I finally found what I've been looking for - a mobile app that has 24 - 72 hour past precipitation data that's visual, easy and faster than web data or RealEarth app layers. It's from UC Irvine and rather a gift to the world much like University Of Wisconsin's RealEarth.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/irain-uci/id982858283
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=irain.app&hl=en_US

I don't agree with some of the negative reviews because the weather, climate, and seasonal data and services we get from academia and government agencies are really valuable for a lot of businesses. I have friends in farming and transportation who rely on it. In this case knowing past rain helps my being a small ski area director and MTB trail manager.

For both of these systems and especially RealEarth check out the desktop web sites too. RealEarth has hundreds of data layers you put over a Google Earth base map. This iRain app quickly took me from using the RealEarth storm total layer to it because it shows shorter and longer periods of time.

Torren61 and dkmw like this.
  2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My Employer: UC-Irvine a research university. Me likey.

imwjl likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ll check that out! I’ve got five weather apps plus Tides, Moon, Solunar and probably something I’m forgetting. I’m outdoors a lot doing things the weather impacts in a big way so I use at least a couple every day. I’d love something showing past precipitation.

I’ll load it when back in the civilized world.

dented and imwjl like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here’s one for you guys: https://www.windy.com/

It’s used by every marine weather nerd I know, from fishing guides to pro surfers.

ce24, Stubee, dented and 1 other person like this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I recall that but switched to Ventusky app when I realized it was available and I could give them some reward for the efforts.

I digress, but with Climendo apparently dead or gone I'd like to know what else aggregates many sources in one report for mobile.

:)

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.