1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NHPD headphones... Sennheiser HD650

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Nov 29, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

First of all, I am not an audiophile. My opinions come across as superlatives. These are very good, nothing gets garbled up and it seems like you hear more detail to things. They are light and comfortable and look to be well built.

This was my first "buy both and return the ones you don't want" experience. Except, it was 3... 2 pair of Beyerdynamic's and the Sennheiser's. It went well,there were a couple of small restocking fees. But I feel it was worth it as there are as many headphone choices as there are telecasters and amps.

I don't use these for recorded music. I use them with a tube headphone amplifier, amplifying my Strymon Iridium.

driver8, paulblackford and Torren61 like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Another Iridium user :).

I haven't tried one of those gizmos yet, but from what I hear about them I want to check one out.

DrPepper likes this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice, congrats!

DrPepper likes this.
  4. DrPepper

Yes, you must...

old wrench likes this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Good choice.
    Open back, light and airy. And one of the most "accurate" and least "colored" in the price range.

I use them for one of several references in a mixing/mastering setting. Like them very much!

DrPepper likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was out in my "studio" earlier and I noticed I have the same model headphones. I'm not a headphone expert, but I can find no fault with them. The best ones I have, though, are Bose wireless and noise cancelling.

DrPepper likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The 600 and 650 are some of the darlings of the well heeled audiophiles, and are universally praised by those who think nothing of spending $3k on a pair of 'phones.
    I've spent years giving grief to the folks at Stereophile, who complain how hard it is to get regular folks into good audio equipment, but then they call a $1000 pair of speakers budget! I try explaining to them that most folks would think $1000 is a lot of money to spend on a whole system. That's why I love the British magazine/website What Hi-Fi, because they feature good stuff at all price points, but audio equipment seems to be more popular among the mainstream folks in the UK, and they don't think Bose Acoustimass speakers and Wave Radios are top of the line sound, lol. Bose are becoming well respected for their 'phones though.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Rockhead likes this.
  8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Congrats, those are nice 'phones. I used to have the 600 and really enjoyed them. Curious what Beyers you demoed, as I switched from the 600s to BD 880s which personally I preferred.

9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

$1000 speakers are budget. It's the equivalent of spending $189 in 1974.

You can't buy a new US-made Telecaster for $225 anymore either.

People will spend $50,000 for a pickup truck, but think $1000 speakers are expensive.

10. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I have a set of those on loan from my son right now. Very nice sounding headphones! Even these tired old ears can appreciate the difference.

DrPepper likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe where you come from $1000 is a pittance, but 30% of the workforce in the US earn less than $30,000 a year. That's nearly a third of us. Those people would have trouble spending more than your $189 on speakers, unless it was on credit. And, I doubt there are few people buying $50,000 trucks, and those that do take years to pay them off. There are very few guitar players that can afford an American made guitar either, unless they buy it on credit too. You apparently live in the same bubble that the writers at Stereophile do. You might want to visit the real world once in a while for perspective.

12. DrPepper

I tried the DT990's, not as open/detailed sounding as the 650's.

driver8 likes this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not in a bubble. I remember when people saved up to make a big purchase, and tried to buy quality, not disposable goods.

I'm not saying $1000 is a pittance, but it is the equivalent of $189 in 1974 dollars. At that time, an entry-level pair of speakers like the original Advents cost $228/pair, and you'd spend at least that much again for an amp or receiver to drive them, and $150 for a reasonable turntable. That's the kind of system you'd see in dorm rooms at state university, so it was within reach of college-age kids who cared about music reproduction. That's ~$606 for the system in 1974 dollars. Using an inflation calculator, that's $3200 in 2020 dollars.

The $1000 you think is extravagant for a sound system, $189 in 1974 would barely buy you a Soundesign all-in-one plastic piece of crap system. Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations for how much you can get for a buck.

[​IMG]

But I suppose your reaction helps explain why people still won't pay more than a $5 - $10 cover charge to see a local band, same thing they were paying in the 1980s.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.