NHBMD!

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by tubegeek, Jun 5, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Gonna be 60 in October. Been needing reading glasses for a while now. Hoping this will make close up work a little easier.
    First impression: cheap gear. It's OK; I'll be willing to pay for an upgrade if it turns out I like it. I wasn't sure what it'd be like so I took this entry-level approach.
    20200605_185102.jpg 20200605_185932.jpg

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just like Leo used to wear!

Jlwctn and tubegeek like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I hope his was better-made! But with the LED light, AAA batteries, and plastic optics I guess mine is probably much lighter weight.

Jlwctn and Frodebro like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, and also: you're now a pro. It says it right there on top.

5. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I've used a similar set (Optivisor) for 25 years or so :).

They can make a huge difference in the quality of your work.

The higher the power, the closer the field of vision.

I think with that 5.8X power you might need to get very close to your work. But, maybe that 5.8X power is with the monocal looking thing included.

I usually use a 2X power in tandem with my eyeglasses; that let's me keep my eyeballs back away from the work at a comfortable distance.

There should be different power lens sets available that will interchange if you find the need.

That LED light looks pretty handy. I don't think we even had LED lights back when I bought my magnifiers. Mine aren't quite as old as Leo's ;).

Jlwctn and tubegeek like this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

There are three layers of optics - the main "screen" attached at the front of the headband; the flip-down lens of a similar size just behind it, and the loupe-on-a-stick in front.

Main screen 1.8x, with flip-down 2.6x, through the loupe 5.8x. I have a trio of eyeball-pain-inducing loupes @ 5, 10, 15x so if I want to get right up on the work those are fine. This thing seems like it'd be most useful in the first two settings, which do provide a much wider field of view.

Every time I look closely at a project with the loupes (usually just the 5x only) I spot solder joints that could be reheated, so I'm hoping this will give me some of that effect in a more comfortable form.

@theprofessor : it says it's Pro's Kit. It doesn't say that *I'm* the pro though! Somewhere out there, there's a pro looking for his magnifier....

It looks like there may be a mod possibility: I think I may be able to switch it so the inner flip-down goes in the default position. But if my math is how it works, the second one is 1.44 so I wouldn't get a stronger default.

I do know I can definitely scratch my brand new visor with a screwdriver trying to mod it, that's a lock. Maybe best left alone.
    20200605_205310.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Jlwctn likes this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I see what you did there
    :rolleyes:

tubegeek likes this.
  8. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have one of these that I use for doing SMD soldering work. I couldn’t work without them!

tubegeek likes this.
  9. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

You better - if you can't see it with this thing on, you're in trouble!

Tried it out a little tonight. Very easy to get used to, the light is great, I was soldering on a tight point-to-point layout and it made for a very good enhancement of the view. Basically the only thing I didn't like was how close I did have to get, to get in focus. I was using the least magnification, the 1.8, with my 2.5 reading glasses underneath. I might try it on its own next time, and see what that does.

10. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Interesting and thanks for the write-up.

I guess lead-free solder starts to make more sense the closer you get?

tubegeek likes this.
  11. old wrench

I think that you'll find yourself pretty quickly getting used to having your face closer in to the work :).

I recall that using the magnifier and needing to be closer to the object seemed sort of un-natural or counter-intuitive at first, because as my eyesight was gradually worsening (without the magnifier) I needed to have the object I was focusing on further away in order to properly focus on it, rather than closer, but I got used to the magnifierpretty quickly.

And the quality of work immediately improved :).

It was kind of shocking to really be able to see what I was doing in detail ;).

Being able to see in clear detail makes the magnifier one of the most important tools in my arsenal.

12. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Yeah - but the dain bramage ship has already left the station years ago.

old wrench likes this.
  13. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

I taught an electronics lab for several years and my favorite tool in the classroom was a Luxo lamp with a ring-shaped fluorescent bulb and a big magnifying glass in the middle. Some other scavenger beat me to it when the school shut down, I was kind of annoyed.

It was always an eye-opener for the students when I'd drag them over to my desk to examine their solder joints. They could see right away the difference between the examples I'd give them and their beginner's efforts. Most of them got pretty good at it after a few tries.

Those magnifier lamps are a bit expensive but I'm basically trying the headband thing in the hope that I can get by without a Luxo.

I completely agree with you how much the close-up view helps. Night and day. It's the difference between THINKING all your solder joints are straight and KNOWING they are.

@old wrench - if you wouldn't mind, would you put up a picture of yours - I'd like to see what the OG version looks like.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    old wrench likes this.
  14. old wrench

I actually have one of the Luxo flourescent lamp/magnifier gizmos. It's quite a bit older than my 25 year old Optivisor.

I much prefer the Optivisor for working, although the Luxo does work very good for inspecting.

The visor magnifier is just way more convenient for me to use as I'm working than the Luxo :).

tubegeek likes this.
  15. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Surgeons commonly use something similar to these as well for delicate procedures, especially for micro vascular and ophthalmology. They love them. I've thought about getting one for amp building, but instead I bought a fluorescent light with a magnifier a few months ago that's working pretty well so far. Enjoy it! It surely beats a light mounted to a table that you have to periodically adjust to get in focus.

tubegeek likes this.
  16. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Ooh! I bet the sugeon's ones are REALLY nice! But also probably not cheap not hardly.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I have the exact same model except the colour - black & oxblood red.
    whatever you do, try to not drop them :rolleyes:
    the plastic is brittle and my loupe is gone. also the main flapping lens hinges broke off.
    I hot glued back the main lens and it works ok.
    the headband was very uncomfortable on the fore head so I put some bicycle tubeing on it. much better.
    the LED is still going strong, even the batteries still have power after a IDK long while.

tubegeek likes this.
  18. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver Tele-Meister

I have a headband magnifier and find it invaluable for doing detail work, like routing for inlays or trying to get a very precise measurement. I'm in my 40s and my eyesight is not that bad (although I do wear glasses), and still find these magnifiers to be extremely helpful at times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.