1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGDs Acoustic Content

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Ess Eff, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Been excited about acoustic guitars lately.

Sold my old cheapie Fender dreadnought that I've had forever and decided to splash out on something fancy.

Decided to get an Australian made Maton Performer that I've had my eye on for a long time. It's a smaller Concert size with a cutaway, all solid woods and good electronics. Matons are not only used by Tommy Emanuel but even Eric Johnson, et al.

Strange, but pretty soon I was missing my old cheapie Fender. The Maton is a great guitar but the smaller size just doesn't have the vol I was I was expecting and just didn't feel as comfortable.

In a fit of melancholy, I wandered into a local music store, half thinking I might be able to justify buying a larger body acoustic to go with the Maton. Nothing took my fancy, until I stumbled upon an Eastman dreadnought, cutaway that had incredible specs at a crazy cheap price and sounded fantastic.

Can you believe, all solid wood (sitka spruce/sapele), ebony fretboard/bridge/bridge pins, bone nut/saddle (compensated), double bound, nitro finish, Fishman electronics, etc. and beautifully constructed.
    For only $500 USD!

The only shortcut being the unfilled wood grain finish on the back and sides. A lot of manufactures are doing this now and promoting it as a benefit, not a cost saving. I actually really like the textured feel - doesn't slide around as much on your knee and even feels good on the neck.

The internal label proudly boasts, 'Made in Beijing China', and I have no problem with that, at all. It's a great guitar. Kind of reminded me of Fender's 'Corona California'. Like the city is somehow important.

Now I'm thinking I was crazy paying double for the Maton.

If Eastman did a smaller body cutaway I wouldn't hesitate to sell the Maton and buy another Eastman, but alas, they don't.
    IMG_20201027_111906.jpg
    IMG_20201027_111951.jpg
    IMG_20201027_112036.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Mjea80, PhredE, Ed Driscoll and 6 others like this.
  2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Eastmans. I really want to get my grubby mitts on one.

Ess Eff and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’d like to try an Eastman. But I’ve gotten totally away from big guitars. Dreads and Jumbos are not on my radar right now.

Congrats, though! The specs look outrageous for the price.

Ess Eff likes this.
  4. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I've found midprice Eastmans to be variable. Some are great, but many are dull. Looks like you hit the jackpot. I suspect -- just guessing -- that the "underwhelm" from your Maton may come from being built for stage use, amplified, at the expense of its pure acoustic voice. Particularly with a small body, it seems that getting a really controllable amped tone comes with stiffening the build, a shallower depth, and other specs that detract from acoustic liveliness.

Ess Eff likes this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Give the Maton a chance to break-in before you part with it ...
    You may want to email them ...
    They have excellent customer service... Good Luck !!!

PhredE, Jakedog and Ess Eff like this.
  6. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I'm sure u are right abt the Maton and I'm sure I'll get more comfy with it as I use it more.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I won't really sell the Maton. Just use it as my travel/hol guitar or when I need to amp it, and it might grow on me as some guitars do.

There is nothing wrong with it and def does what it is meant to.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is definitely a thing. I recently bought a different Aussie stage acoustic. A Cole Clark. The tone/sound is simply outrageous. Absolutely incredible. And I’ve never experienced an acoustic guitar with this much sustain. It’s nuts. But it’s not very loud. Because it’s specifically engineered to be a plugged in/performance guitar. Being a long time pro series Takamine user, I’m familiar with this philosophy and have come to terms with it.

Though, it’s louder than I thought it was...

I had a friend who stopped by the other night play it a little bit while I sat across from him and it’s at least 50% louder than I believed from playing it myself.

OP- You might wanna get somebody to sit facing you and play both of your guitars. You might not learn anything new. But you might be really surprised.

Ess Eff likes this.
  9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Have you noticed that a lot of high end modern guitars now have an extra sound hole on the side of the top bout.

Presumably so the player can hear more of what is going on out in front.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

As others have said, a new spruce topped guitar will take 3-6 months to break in. Got to give it some time before having a true idea of what it is capable of soundwise. The best way to usher progress forward is..
    play it a lot! :)

Congrats! The both look nice and I'll bet they will sound very good when all is said and done.

11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I bought a 00 sized Eastman this year. If you look very carefully you can see it is not a $6000 guitar. On the other hand, it sounds and feels as good as anything I've ever played. Solid woods, hand made, nitro finish. It is lovely, and I expect it to get better with age as it opens up with time. Couldn't be happier.

12. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I have an eastman cutaway dread. I wanted a smaller bodied guitar but when I found this used for 600 I had to jump on it.

13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats on both. They look very good. Hope you start bonding with the Moton.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.