NGD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dickey, Dec 12, 2019.

1. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Most who know me know I am a Mosrite freak; I am in LOVE with my original '65 Ventures Mark I Mosrite. But, I am always afraid to take it on a gig; I mean if I somehow bang the headstock & bend a tuning key, where am I gonna get a replacement. Mosrite parts are NOT easy to come by.
    Anyway, I just picked up this Hallmark Classic 60. It is an identical repro of the '64 sidejack Mosrite but without the sidejack; sounds almost as good, plays like you wouldn't believe, and now I don't hafta take my precious Mosrite on the gig anymore. I am firmly convinced that Bob Shade, owner of Hallmark guitars, makes the absolute best guitars on the planet. The fit & finish is second to none,actually a much better guitar than my Mosrite, and they play & sound like nothing else. Why they are not more popular I'll never know. 069.JPG

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've been eyeballing these for a while. The reason I've never pulled the trigger is that I've never seen one in person, so I have no idea if I'll dig it or not. I mean, I've played enough Telecasters by now that I get the general idea of them so I'm not buying a pig in a poke if I buy one online, sight unseen. I passed up a couple of used ones in the last couple of years for that reason, and always wonder if I screwed up (used Hallmarks are as rare as hen's teeth).

Glad you dig yours!

3. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Dunno where you live, but if it's anywhere near west central Florida, you're welcome to come over & try mine. They are phenomenal guitars, and the ONLY guitars I've seen come set up perfectly from the factory. This is my 2nd one; hadda sell my first one (MOAM model) to pay for dental work.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations!

Looks like great example. I can tell how happy you are. To me they still look like someone messed up the specs for a laugh but what do I know. ;>)

5. TeleRooo

TeleRooo TDPRI Member

I'm from the Northwest and got to play them a lot, they were available up here all the time. Even the Matisse Cross guitars. Of course this was back in the mid to late 60's when I was a kid in garage bands. The Ventures were a big influence in early NW Rock even before the Beatles.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

We used to get some Mosrites in at the store where I worked, and the manager, who was a total 60s guitar fanatic, said "There are two kinds of Mosrite people, those that like them, and those that have played one". I guess he belonged to the latter group, lol

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

oh Ya

beyer160 likes this.
  8. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'm not in your neck of the woods, but thank you very much for your incredibly kind offer. One question, though- I've played some original Mosrites, and the necks were very much on the skinny side- I've heard the Hallmarks are more "modern" in that regard, do you find that to be true?

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amen!
    Stupid looking, playing and sounding guitars made and marketed by an unscrupulous guy.
    What more couldn’t you ask for?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.