NGD!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mkdaws32, Sep 5, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I was in Amsterdam with a friend. We went to a local music store and he bought a couple of things. One was a new Strat made in China. I was shocked how well it played and the vibrola even worked well.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

That’s a great looking guitar! Congrats.

My buddy has a Washburn Strat copy that was surprisingly fun to play for me and it opened my mind to trying Squiers. I played a Squire 72 Tele Deluxe in a store last week and it felt great!

If I didn’t already have four Fenders I would certainly consider one.

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I agree with the height adjustment. I've gotten some pretty good tones out of some shocking inexpensive pickups over the years, but it can be hit and miss. I was able to dial the neck in really well, but the bridge was just unusable at any height.

This guitar is going to get the Nashville Tele wiring mod, anyway. Master Tone, Master Volume, 3-way switch (Neck, Neck // Bridge, Bridge). The second tone pot will be wired to blend the middle pickup in with the neck or bridge. Dial in quack to taste! Should be fun!

Zepfan likes this.
  4. mkdaws32

Nice - they all seem to be really well made these days. The biggest differences are in the small things. At the lower price point, they can't afford the time to do a great setup, sand all the fret edges and polish them up nicely. These things alone make a HUGE difference in the feel. There are some differences in hardware of course, but the Squier components are remarkably good, given the cost. I'm not surprised that tremolo worked so well at all. As long as the springs retain their tension over time, the nut is cut properly and the strings wound properly, it's gonna work great.

5. mkdaws32

I only have 3 Fenders, so I guess I was okay on picking up this one Squier! I've had many Squiers over the years, going back to the 80s, and I only recall one that still felt cheap no matter what I did to it. But I had a dog of an American Fender Strat once too - it can happen at any price point!

NewKid likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've always liked the neck and middle pups on the strat, but never really loved the bridge pup. Ended up going with HB's instead.
    Recently put 3 P90's in my partscaster Strat. DSCF0819.JPG Got a red Squier Bullet Strat and doing this: DSCF0859.JPG

mkdaws32 likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

I’ve always loved the tele bridge sound and hated the stock strat bridge sound. I have put HBs in the bridge of a lot of guitars over the years. Conversely, I’ve always loved the strat neck sound and not so much the tele neck sound - most of the time - there’s a lot of different sounding tele neck pickups.

Zepfan likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

By the way - nice job cutting the pickup holes in that pick guard!

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks. The black guard was a H/H guard and left some gaps, the white one was S/S/S so it turned out better. Cut out with my Dremel.

The Tele pickups are so different from one another and can e hard to get the ones you like. The Tele bridge pup in that white guard is a Cavalier Fat Lion, DeArmond style Gold Foil in the middle and minibucker turned Firebird for neck. The P90's in the black guard are vintage wind A5 pickups MIC, sound great.

I also have a S/S/S Strat that I'm putting together using 3 Deneb - Tone singles on 3 mini toggles for parallel/series options. These pickups are Neodymium magnet/Steel Pole pickups that are Tailored for their output by TDPRI member Deneb.

10. mkdaws32

I've used a dremel for a few pickguards as well. Turns out pretty good if I take my time, but if I try to rush it I usually make quite a mess. From now on I going to use the dremel to get close as file the finished edges by hand - a tip I read in another thread here.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.