1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jakedog, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All the way from Australia. I’ve been acoustic hunting. After trying everything I could get my hands on locally, I had pretty much decided to grab one of the new Pro Series Takamine offerings. Specifically the P3DC. But then a lot of things happened.

I stumbled across Cole Clark guitars on the innerwebs. I was intrigued with their unique build style, and especially their take on using native woods and keeping everything sustainable and as eco friendly as possible. I also generally like the idea of not doing what everyone else is doing. As in, I really liked the idea of not being another one of a million dudes playing a Martin or Taylor, or whatever the flavor of the week is, and also not being one of a million dudes playing spruce and rosewood, or mahogany, and ebony, and all of that. I really didn’t feel a strong desire to add to the demand for endangered or threatened tropical woods.

I thought about buying used, but wasn’t sure that was a whole lot better since it still means I’m out there being seen and heard performing with said woods. Not that seeing me is gonna create some crazy demand, but I’d rather help than not.

That said, it still had to be an instrument that would meet my expectations as far as sound, and playability. I liked all the videos I saw, and all do the reviews I read, but I still had some questions. I shot an email off through the Cole Clark website, and figured I’d hear back anywhere from a couple days to a week. Precisely and hour later at 9am Melbourne time I got an email back. Not from a customer service rep or tech, but from the CEO of the company. We emailed back and forth a few times, and he seemed genuinely interested in me as a customer. That goes a LONG way with me.

The talks were very helpful as it steered me to a different model than what I originally thought I wanted. It also gave me a really good feeling about buying a pretty expensive guitar, that a few days before I’d never even heard of. Then I found the exact model I wanted at a US dealer online.

So I bought it! Today I took delivery of my very own Cole Clark Angel 2. To say it’s everything I expected would be an understatement. The pictures don’t do it justice. It’s absolutely beautiful. It sounds absolutely incredible. Not like anything else I have or have had, but gorgeous tonality. Not super loud, but definitely plenty loud for a singer songwriter like me. I have no need for a bluegrass cannon. The build is beautiful, the fit and finish flawless, the ultra-thin satin nitro finish is a joy to hold onto, it’s just super sweet. Very balanced sounding. Not scooped at all, really. Nice full bass without being boomy, and smooth full top end, not tinny or thin on the plain strings.

The action from the factory is just the tiniest bit higher than I like, but I’m not gonna mess with it for now because I don’t wanna screw with the tone. It’s just so sweet. The frets and nut are perfectly cut, crowned and polished, as they should be. The shop has a plek machine. The Grover tuners are smooth. There is no binding or slippage anywhere and it stays in tune beautifully.

The pickup system is flat out sick. The best I’ve ever heard. It incorporates three separate elements- an under saddle pickup for low end, a top sensor for mids, and a condenser mic top end. They can all be blended with separate level controls. It sounds exactly like the guitar does unplugged if you want it to, or, you can make it into whatever you please. Each element also has its own eq “shelf” built into the preamp, so there are no feedback issues.

Anyhow, here’s the new baby. Bunya top, Tasmanian Blackwood back and sides. Queensland Maple neck. She’s a beauty!

Oh yeah, the bridge and fingerboard are made from a wood called River She Oak. I’ve also come across references that spell it “Sheoak”, so I’m not sure which it is.

9D3687C0-27DA-4C02-939C-4E9184700074.jpeg 7F37A291-32CB-484C-BD40-8C5F16EFDE32.jpeg 6C78CBCA-4B21-4472-9E87-3332241E8E6A.jpeg 735584A0-614D-4DC0-BE18-05DD12C2D345.jpeg

So what’s the verdict? Was it wise to drop this kind of coin on an unknown, that I couldn’t try out beforehand?

I do not regret it.

2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stunnin’!

Lake Placid Blue and Jakedog like this.
  4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations — That’s a beautiful guitar!

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sometimes you’ve got to trust your gut and take a chance, well done. Glad it worked out for you. That’s a good looking guitar

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That is one stunning amalgamation of cellulose. I hope you put it to use in a way worthy of it's appearance.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue and Jakedog like this.
  7. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That looks great! Congrats.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

Willie and Jack Johnson
    [​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Beautiful. I have read about them. Think you made a great choice.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

WOW! Really nice, congrats!

Jakedog likes this.
  11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

1 3/4" nut? What's the neck profile like? Man, I'm envious Jake. I do most of my pickin' on an acoustic and am always looking for a better one.

So play her in good health. And I'd love to hear a short clip of how she sounds.

howardlo and Jakedog like this.
  12. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

Those inlays! That grain! That headstock shape!

Jakedog and StevesBoogie like this.
  13. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

That's beautiful and so different at the same time. Love the smaller body shape. Also the contrast between the top wood, fretboard, and headstock, really a thing of beauty that stands out from the rest for sure. Congrats.

howardlo and Jakedog like this.
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Good choice, Jake... I hope it serves you well.. :)

Bunya pines were around when dinosaurs roamed.... the seed cones are like big spikey soccer balls....

we have some of the oldest forest species on the planet.... mostly good hardwoods...:)

River sheoak leaves/fronds make noise as wind blows through them... singing trees....

15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Beautiful. Use of the various woods seems well within reason. Let us know how it plays and how it sounds as time goes on. Enjoy your new score!

Jakedog likes this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congratulations.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

After your previous posts I am surprised that you would purchase sight unseen, but she is a beauty! I hope she checks all your boxes.

Congrats!

:cool:

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The neck profile is kinda just a neck. There’s nothing about it that really stands out. It’s not big. It’s not tiny. It felt a touch small at the nut end right at first, but I stopped thinking so pretty much immediately. It has a nice taper as you move up higher. It’s very comfortable. C style.

elihu and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice guitar Jakedog, I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Beautiful Jake! Post us a sound clip!

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.