NGD - Yamaha 311MS

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Drew617, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sharing this very nice guitar I picked up yesterday. It was stock, with some honest wear, and would probably be overpriced outside of the pandemic market. Oh well.

My Strats and Teles tend to be Yamahas and G&Ls, so picked this one up because I knew it would be a player and I like the aestetics. I didn't like the electronics setup and bought this planning to change the pickups out. This is a budget version of the Mike Stern signature and came with Yamaha HBs in the neck and a rail in the bridge, standard 3-way and pots.

Swapped that stuff out this morning for a Tonerider A2 PAF in the neck position and a GFS fatbody (7K) at the bridge, a 4-way switch for neck, both (series), both (parallel), bridge. The tone pot is a push-pull now and splits the neck humbucker. Got the usual Hipshot tuners, Dunlop strap loks, stainless saddles, and Switchcraft jack and Fender jack plate.

I'm a dumbass and chipped the top near one of the jacks pushing a pot through. It was soooooo close, I said, I don't need to open that hole up! So I chipped some ash off and cracked the poly, but thankfully it flew off in one piece and I was able to expoxy everything back together. Should be able to sand and polish that all back to good as new after a few days. Kids, don't be impatient like dad.

Plays great (duh) and sounds really nice with these electronics. Wiring favors the humbucker, IME that's more critical in these setups. G&L bluesboys, both USA and imports, all sound like mud to me. So 500K pots all around and a .047 cap. I was prepared to do the 270K resistor trick for the bridge single, but it really doesn't need it and the middle positions sound great as-is.

Cheers,
    Drew

upload_2021-7-31_17-18-47.png

2. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very nice indeed. I recently put some toneriders (A2's) in a semi hollow and love them. I see a lot of Pacificas around but usually strat types. The tele looks great especially with the binding. Good job on the upgrades.

Fendereedo and Drew617 like this.
  3. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

My friend had a 311ms years ago and I used it quite frequently live. I then bought a 1511ms, but despite being the higher end model, it just didn't have the same magic as the 311 for me.

I hope you enjoy your one. Is that another one behind it?

4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah! Those are way cool.

5. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

I love the Pacifica line.

Maguchi, Fendereedo and Drew617 like this.
  6. Drew617

Thanks! I've used their A4 humbucker in a guitar in the past and really liked it. I don't really get hung up on American-made, or artisan-made, pickups, although I've been happy to use Lawrence or Duncan or Dimarzio when they offer something specific and unique. GFS, Artec directly, and some of the god-knows-who importers on eBay offer some legitimately good stuff. Tonerider seems to be a step or two above that stuff, and more consistently good.

The 1511/1611 is tempting but I'd like it in white blonde, and I'd probably rip those Duncan pickups out immediately anyway. I need a $1500 guitar to be exactly what I want right out of the chute. A PAF in the neck is a pretty useful compromise, but blade pickups at the bridge don't "tele" to me at all.

That's a partscaster PAC102S behind it, the entry level T style back when they made them. It has I think a 3-series S-type neck on it, but they're the same thing. The original was very worn and not really worth a refret. That one has generic alnicos in it, and 4 way switching alsol.

I do too, I've got a few at this point. The less expensive ones are cheap as chips and still super consistent, not really inferior, and the necks all feel great in my hands. The white guitar in that rack is another S-type with two Duncan P-rails. There are two old MIJ Yamahas in that rack as well, including a great "lawsuit" style 50s Strat copy.

Fendereedo and KATT like this.
  7. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

You're right about that. The stock pickups, especially the bridge, don't lend themselves to traditional Tele tones. I was playing more heavy rock music at the time I was using the 311 so it worked very well for that.

Your pickups and wiring would probably be similar to what I would use nowadays if I still had the guitar.

Drew617 and Fendereedo like this.
  8. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

What about the Bill Lawrence blade for the rear? I’ve heard them be very Fendery. I’ve kept my eyes open for a Pacifica like the one in the back, i’ve noticed many of them have some nice Ash grain. I’ve been a fan of Mike Stern since all the way back to Fat Time with Miles Davis. I’ve got one of his songs in my Looper so I can slow it down to learn it.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely guitar, congratulations.

10. Drew617

Embarrassed to say I don't actually know the Lawrence Tele blade. I've used and really liked both the Keystones and the L500, which is a lot more versatile than it looks.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Drew617 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.