NGD x2 ~ Woo Hoo!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Gretsch content ahead...

I'm new to the Gretsch family. I've been a guitarist since the mid 1960's, but for some reason Gretsch guitars never caught my interest.

A short while back I took note of how much crisper the tones were that I was getting from the Fender Fideli'trons in my Cabronita Thinline, vs. my humbucker equipped guitars. I had grown quite thrilled with Fender single coil pickups, their rich sparkle and detailed tones. And along with that had become less pleased with the somewhat "veiled" tones, in comparison, that I was getting from PAF-type humbuckers.

The Fideli'trons are humbuckers in design (dual coils cancelling the hum), but clearer and more sparkly... leaning more toward single-coil tones. That intrigued me, and led to my interest in Gretsch guitars (because of the pickups!)

Anyway, I spent a lot of time researching, YouTubing, asking questions here and there. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted a Gretsch hollow body and a Gretsch center block body.

I have had the hollow body for a few days, but part-two of the pair arrived just today.

G6119T Players Edition Tennessee Rose (Terada MIJ) hollow body - Dark Cherry finish
    [​IMG]

G5622T Electromatic (Korea) Center Block - dark walnut finish
    [​IMG]

I am very fortunate to have had and to have a nice assortment of good guitars. So, my reference points to evaluate these Gretsches are numerous and set a pretty high bar.

All I can say is that I am BEYOND impressed with these two instruments. I was pretty ignorant of Gretsch guitars for many, many years... but once I "understood"... I got here as quickly as I could! :)

The fit, finish, materials, and tone quality from these guitars blows me away. Neither of these guitars required ANY set-up adjustments, straight out of the factory boxes. And I'd have to say that the Korean luthiers have produced a product that so closely approaches Terada of Japan, that there really is nothing to quibble about.

I couldn't be more thrilled with these guitars and I'm so very happy to be among the Gretsch family of players!

Thanks to many of you here who have help guide me through my many questions, Wes (@BorderRadio) and numerous others included.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You like a certain look, don't you... :lol:

Gorgeous. Congrats!

3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Very nice! What style of music do you normally play with these.

4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

You are so right, moosie! I really do... deep wine red is among my most loved colors on guitars.

And, thank you, too. :)

5. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thank you, Fluddman.

My style is kind of a blend of pop/indie/alternative/rock/jazz. My tone is primarily a Fendery clean amp, with a little reverb, a touch of delay, and some compression (which seems to add a very slight bit of "edge").

No, I don't do any "rockabilly". ;)

I don't play music by anyone else, only my own compositions, so I don't need to be able to "cover" certain kinds of tones to recreate what other guitar players might be known for. I do my own thing, in a tone that perfectly pleases me, and I just stick to that.

FenderGyrl and Chunkocaster like this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My oh my! I love the one on the left, and the color of both is outstanding.
    Good luck,

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hi boredguy... I'm with you on that! And luck with these has been amazingly wonderful, thank you.

8. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

No worries thanks for the reply. I have a Gretsch 6120 and I've never quite worked out where it fits musically. It's more versatile than i first thought. Enjoy you new guitars.

DHart likes this.
  9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Wow, just wow!

DHart likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Your 6120 is an awesome guitar! I don't know what style/tone you need for your music, but I do think that guitar has awesome "acoustic" hollow-body tone and is versatile - probably not a great shredding high-gain machine, but it can cover a lot of ground.

If your 6120 just isn't "doing it" for you, life is short, let her go and get one that serves you to a "T". :)

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Show off!;):)

DHart likes this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yeah... my fellow forumites are, in a sense, my bandmembers.

I don't have anyone here at home to share the excitement with.

No bandmates, nor fellow musicians that I know, and my wife couldn't care less.

The dogs enjoy the music, but they can't quite understand the NGD thrill.

So... you folks here are sort of like my brethren, people who truly understand the excitement of NGD. :lol:

13. moosie

I get that. No band, wife don't care.

Sounds like a blues tune...

DHart and neilybob100 like this.
  14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

They're gorgeous - congrats!

DHart likes this.
  15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm with you. Just snagged a set of Fidelitrons for the faux Falcon (Fauxcon?). I've been binge watching Gretsch vids too.

moosie and DHart like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Gregory... always a most entertaining demonstrator! (I watch too many Wildwood videos, I'm afraid.)

Hey bender... what a hoot, eh? Me, too. This Gretsch stuff is some damn fine sh...tuff!

I'll have to admit, I'm WAAAAY late to the party, but I'm on the dance floor now! :lol:

17. moosie

Dang, I forgot how close I came to getting a White Falcon a couple years back.

Thanks for that... o_O:lol:

DHart likes this.
  18. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

6120 rocks... not like your grand-daddy's rockabilly style. ;)

Check out the 2nd song in the first video, that 6120 hollowbody screams like a banshee! Love that hollow-body tone. :D

19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations they look fabulous!
    I also selected the 6119 MIJ as the best overall fit for me and I’ve not regretted it at all. I don’t think a Gretsch will ever be my main guitar but I really enjoy playing for fun. Eventually I will fit a Compton stainless steel but the current bridge is good enough.

DHart likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I picked the 6119T because the guitar was on sale for a price ($1780, and no tax, no shipping) that seemed very reasonable for a Gretsch of this quality - and I like that it's 2.25" deep. Hollow body tones are good - I'm really enjoying getting back into the hollow-body tones after playing mostly solids and semi-hollows for quite some time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.