NGD x2 - A Tale of Two Tele's

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Introducing my two new Fender Vintera Road Worn 50s Telecasters – one in Lake Placid Blue and one in Vintage Blonde.

Truthfully, not much of a tale to be honest. What can I say though, I’m really taken by these new Vintera Road Worn models. I appreciate the aesthetic, the specs, and the feel / ergonomics.

For the record, I didn’t actually obtain either of them today. I picked up the Lake Placid Blue one in April and the Vintage Blonde one in May. The LPB one is 7 lbs 3 oz and was set-up quite well off the rack. It did have some minor fret sprout that was easily dealt with (this certainly happens in winter here in Canada). The VB one is 7 lbs 7 oz and was set-up near perfectly off the rack.

I’ve made a few small changes already…

LPB – Fender Compensated Brass Saddles, Fender American Vintage 52/58 Pickguard (Eggshell)

VB – Fender Compensated Brass Saddles, Fender American Vintage 52 Pickguard (Black), Manlius Broadcaster Pickups

The changes were more about looks and satisfying my own curiosity as opposed to the guitars specifically needing to be ‘improved’.

Additionally, I own a Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster in Classic Copper. It’s a ‘FSR’ from 2018 that had some unique specs. I think it was a bit of a precursor to the new finishing techniques that are used on the Vintera Road Worn models. The neck on the Copper Tele has a 9.5” radius as opposed to the 7.25” radius found on the new Vintera RWs, it’s also noticeably less girthy / fat. If you like, you can read more about the Copper one here - https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-fender-road-worn-telecaster-le-in-classic-copper.1004658/

I’m really loving this current assortment of guitars that I own. Over the years, I’ve really honed in on Tele’s being the model for me. As time has gone on, I’ve found that I’d prefer owning a small number of Tele’s as opposed to having a more diverse collection of guitars. Furthermore, I’m quite happy with the value proposition of the Road Worn line and appreciate their feel very much. I also tend to be a bit OCD about keeping things in immaculate condition, so I find the relic work to be quite liberating. Recently I owned a 70th Anniversary Esquire (also in LPB) but I found that I was almost afraid of it and babied it. Quite simply, I’m just happier playing one of these Road Worn beauties by comparison.

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
JH21emV.jpg

zX5o17K.jpg

W4dOcdF.jpg

J8fAsVX.jpg

aKHtvJK.jpg

jsxc6Fr.jpg

DG3NGFm.jpg

xc6cK1E.jpg

8rF0gq0.jpg

egiLuMO.jpg

uveB6Ye.jpg

1KRoF9e.jpg

APmE1HJ.jpg

8nuo2eb.jpg

L5Kd00F.jpg

wvZU6hZ.jpg

mKSsAW4.jpg

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
First of all beautiful guitars!! I don't have an opinion on reliced or road worn guitars but must say you have given one of the best reasons for having them. OCD must be difficult to deal with and if this helps you play and enjoy your guitars I'm happy for you and glad they're an option. I have a friend who is borderline OCD. I gave him a beat up acoustic and he loves the guitar. I think I understand now.

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
First of all beautiful guitars!! I don't have an opinion on reliced or road worn guitars but must say you have given one of the best reasons for having them. OCD must be difficult to deal with and if this helps you play and enjoy your guitars I'm happy for you and glad they're an option. I have a friend who is borderline OCD. I gave him a beat up acoustic and he loves the guitar. I think I understand now.

I completely get it regarding your friend! I'm not literally OCD (I probably shouldn't have coopted the phrase)...but, when it comes to guitars, I've always been very particular about their condition.

If I buy a new non-relic Tele, for instance, it has to be perfect. Including things like the bridge, control plate, and pickguard all being aligned; no marks or finish imperfections; no cockeyed neck plate; no neck pocket hairline finish cracks; and on and on. If I notice something askew, anything - even something very tiny or on the back or edge of the guitar - it just drives me crazy and sometimes has caused me to fall out of love with an otherwise awesome instrument (silly, I know). And, in the case of my recent 70th Anniversary Esquire for example, when they arrive in perfect condition, I really do baby them and work hard to keep them perfect. And that detracts from my enjoyment of them to an extent.

These Road Worn's are fantastic for me because it frees me from worrying about so much of what I normally worry about. I really do enjoy the 'broken in' feel (and look, especially on a Tele) and just focus on having fun and playing. Even my playing is likely affected, I can play more freely if I'm not petrified of somehow nicking an immaculately perfect guitar.

50hz

Tele-Meister
Genius move putting the white guards on the Copper and LBP. They look way better imho. Congrats on these. Play them all in good health.

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Just an FYI for whomever is interested...

2018 - Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster 'Limited Edition' - Classic Copper
7 lbs 1 oz
Neck | C Shape, 9.50" Radius, Narrow Tall Frets | 1st - 0.8685 / 12th - 0.9100

2021 - Fender Vintera Road Worn 50s Telecaster - Vintage Blonde
7 lbs 7 oz
Neck | U Shape, 7.25" Radius, Vintage Tall Frets | 1st - 0.9265 / 12th - 0.9865

2021 - Fender Vintera Road Worn 50s Telecaster - Lake Placid Blue
7 lbs 3 oz
Neck | U Shape, 7.25" Radius, Vintage Tall Frets | 1st - 0.9255 / 12th - 0.9940