NGD with Absurd UPS Story

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Telecaster88, May 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Hey all, as documented exhaustively in my previous thread, I was on the lookout for a new acoustic that wouldn't mess my strumming arm up the way a dreadnought does, and I settled on one of the new Martin OOO Juniors.

Unfortunately, the shop I ordered the guitar from sent it via UPS to my billing address instead of my shipping address. And my billing address is a PO Box, so it couldn't be delivered there. Usually when that happens, UPS sends me a postcard and I have to drive thirty miles to the local UPS warehouse to pick the package up. A pain in the butt, but doable. This time, for reasons I'm still unclear on, UPS told me they instead took it upon themselves to deliver it to a street address of mine that they quote "found in their system" unquote that I haven't lived at in over a decade, and left it there at the front door without getting a signature.

This was last Thursday. After I complained, they said that on Monday they would go to the old address and try to get the free guitar they gave the residents there back, and if they can, they'll forward it on to me at my actual address. If they can't get it back they'll contact the shop to let them know to file a missing shipment claim.

Well, I figured if the people at the old address who received a free guitar are like the typical residents of my old town, it'd probably already been pawned.

I asked UPS that if by some miracle they're able to get the guitar back, to just return it to the shop, and I'll get a refund. I'd had a really rough week, and this was the final straw.

On Saturday morning, my wife said "Let's just drive down there and see if we can find this guitar..." I'd thought about that myself, but dreaded the idea of knocking on some stranger's door and asking them if I could have my guitar. I pictured that interaction not going well. But we went down there.

In the parking lot were a couple contractors. They said my old apartment had been vacant for awhile, and they'd been there remodeling it. I went into the foyer, and no kidding, there was my Martin, still in the unopened box, propped up against the inside wall. It'd been sitting there for two days, untouched. I couldn't believe it.

So, happy ending. BUT what in the world was UPS thinking????

Here she is:

img_8264.jpg

2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wonderful wife, wonderful life! I love happy endings.

El Tele Lobo and Telecaster88 like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My friend John R. had a very similar story with a Sweetwater deleivery.
    His order was sent to his old address.
    His story ended well, too.
    Yikes!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

wow, talk about a stroke of luck. that said... sitting w/o ac for 2 days would have meant certain death. ups - note to self think twice about using ups to ever ship a guitar. f'ing dill holes. (that is as polite as I can put it)

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

That's a great story! HNGD and enjoy it. I think it was meant to be yours.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

WTH, UPS, you had One Job!
    :eek:

telestratosonic and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Hate to be that guy, but actually it seems they have about a million jobs, every day.

But seriously, wow...it's crazy they just left it there. I've never really had a problem with any of the delivery companies except once, when I bought a cheap acoustic on a small online auction site. It was sent USPS and the box arrived half crushed, ripped open down the side, and with several large puncture wounds. Luckily the guitar was undamaged; unluckily, it needed a neck reset. Last time I buy an acoustic from a place without a good return policy...

Glad your guitar was okay.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Phew! Great luck, I love when people are just nice and decent.
    I remember a similar story with FedEx, they once leave me a Rickenbacker out in a porch, in a not so good neighborhood near the border in the scorching Texas summer sun for hours; just waiting there to be stolen. I was lucky to have an uncle living nearby to pick up the guitar for me.

The nerves of those people!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

They just arbitrarily decided to go drop it off at an address that was 10 years
    non-current in their own system...
    Astonishing.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Yup. I've been at my current address for ten years, have received hundreds of UPS packages here since then, including a few earlier this week, but somehow they picked the super old one to deliver the guitar to. The mind reels.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

What a great happy ending and beyond beautiful guitar.

IF only Joe Bonamassa was as lucky

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/j...eturn-of-missing-fender-the-bludgeon-nocaster

"he said that the shipment had been labeled by FedEx as "missing without recourse nor hope of a solution."

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

UPS once delivered a guitar I ordered to an address 30 miles away from me. Tracking showed delivered and after several calls to customer service, I tracked down the address it was delivered to, which was a Wal-Mart and called them. They confirmed it was there, so I drove there to pick it up. Had to get the store manager involved since the employees didn't know how to handle a package that wasn't theirs, but I finally got my guitar.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats on finally receiving your guitar. I'd have been more than a little miffed. Hope this one helps with your medical problem.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

A few years back, I received a packet in the mail, forwarded to me from an apartment address in a different state that I hadn't lived in for 10 years. I was shocked that it was actually forwarded to me after such a long time, and had no idea how the post office my former state even knew how to find me.

I opened it up and it was an UNSOLICITED, pre-completed mortgage re-finance application from my previous mortgage company! It contained about 20 pages of the most sensitive (and complete) financial/personal info you can think of for my wife and I, including SSNs, bank account numbers, loan info, credit history- you name it, it was there! I was FURIOUS that this had been mailed to some random apartment 2000 miles away from the home that they wanted us to re-finance! I was just so thankful that some wacko didn't get hold of all that stuff- it could have been a disaster.

I called the company and gave them a sizable piece of my mind, and they were of course extremely apologetic- it will never happen again, we don't know what happened, etc.

Well, about a week later, guess what showed up in our mail? ANOTHER identical packet, forwarded from the same address!

This time when I called, I threatened legal action- how dare they put me at risk like this! Again, the poor guy on the phone was apologetic, but what could he do?

The next day, I got a call from a guy who introduced himself as the COO of the mortgage company, and he was incredibly eager to make this go away. I honestly thought it was a put-on, why would the COO of one of the largest mortgage companies in America call me personally? He gave me his personal number and said we'd be in touch to work something out for my trouble. Immediately after the call, I looked him up, and sure enough I had just been on the phone with the former CIO of Microsoft and General Electric. Something big must be up.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I read online that the offices of the company had been raided by the FBI, and all assets were frozen! Turns out they were the perpetrators of major fraud to the tune of billions of dollars. The company owner was sentenced to 30 years in prison for the fraud, and six other leaders in the company got lesser sentences.

I'm just glad my info didn't get stolen!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Nice to see that you found some good folks and that you got your guitar! Time to start playing!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

My first Tele went through a similar thing but not because of UPS. My ex had ordered me a CV50s for my birthday in 2015, but hadn't updated our address with Sweetwater after we'd moved a few months earlier.

On the day of, which was my actual birthday, tracking said it had been delivered, only it wasn't at our house. Finally figured out the problem and we had to drive across town and hope that the people living in our old house were cool and honest. They were and they handed over the (thankfully) unopened package.

Glad your situation had a good ending, too!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Glad it worked out for you, my wife and I had a situation over Christmas with a high price item that vanished big hassle...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.