NGD- Wildwood 64 Thin Skin

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 72_Custom, May 26, 2020.

1. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I had been jonesing for a surf green AVRI 62 tele custom recently (I even had a joke lined up where I was going to have to split the difference and change my username to 67_Custom). I was quite disheartened to learn that the AVRIs had a poly undercoat. When I buy a guitar, it’s always my intention to play it forever. With Fenders especially, I like the idea of a well worn guitar that really shows its age over time. So the “partial nitro” thing was kind of a dealbreaker for me. I was equally disheartened to learn that the AOs have the same finish. Naturally, I then narrowed my focus to the AV range, specifically the ‘64. No sooner had I made this decision, a used ‘64 Wildwood Thin Skin popped up for sale near me. Even better, I thought!

I messaged the seller and he agreed to let me try it before I plunked down the money (not necessarily a guaranteed thing at this time in history). I was immediately blown away with the sound of this bad boy. I think the middle position is my favorite. I like the 9.5” radius and the 6105 frets too.

The only thing I didn’t immediately jive with is the neck shape. It’s a medium C, but it’s much bigger than I’m used to. (Perhaps I’ve just become so accustomed to pencil thin 70s necks that everything else seems gigantic by comparison). I almost didn’t buy the guitar solely because of that reason, but I got a good deal on it, so I reasoned that I could get my money back if i ultimately decide it’s just not for me. After a day of playing it, it’s already beginning to feel less foreign. It’s funny that on archtops, a bigger neck never bothered me, but on a Fender it does.

This guitar has some serious Mike Bloomfield and Robbie Robertson vibes. Hopefully I can come close to doing its legacy justice. Anyway, here’s what you all came here to see, some pics:

8FAA2881-984C-442F-8B62-8D3F242F4E54.jpeg

1AE2B149-D402-4E2D-A346-E0D111DC8A9C.jpeg E9238CEA-9014-4B2F-8291-70E98C6C30A0.jpeg 77D8B847-577F-4F0E-B4D1-7B14A5F89F39.jpeg

2. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

That is an absolute classic! I, too, don't "get" the big neck fad, though for me it's all about the contour and the way the neck rolls into the fretboard, as some big necks don't feel big at all because they don't actually contact your hand that much. That's a beautiful guitar you've got there. (And yes, the nitro over-coat being passed as a nitro finish is simply a scam.)

3. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

You guys need to look up “Fullerplast”. It’s the undercoat Fender used back as early as the ‘50s.

Edit: Fender started using Fullerplast in ‘61.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a lovely classic look. I really like the AVRI 64 shape neck

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

They’ve always had some sort of sanding sealer for the most part

I’ve gotten a few chips on my A.O 60’s tele and the finish is a lot thinner than the internet would have you believe, it’s even sinking into the grain already

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking at them and really dig those wildwoods

If it was a yellow blonde like that I wouldn’t have been able to resist

I’d put a single ply guard on it

That’s one sweet axe

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Or a common practice Fender did since 1962.

Scroll down in order to see in which colors they did it (plus the Fullerplast thing mentioned above)..in fact the only full nitro vintage Fenders are the first ones in the late 50s.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

congrats - that's classic beauty right there.

9. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Big fan of the wildwoods here too. I’ve got a few of them and also can’t resist.

10. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

This deserves sharing here:
    http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

11. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

Great looking Telecaster. I like the body color and how it contrasts with the fretboard. Good purchase!

12. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats.

13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful!

Silly detail things I like that are nice for a '64 (all at the same time): round-laminate rosewood, correct decal, full patent number bridge, pearloid fret marker dots...

Some questions:

Are the knobs heavy brass, or the cheaper feeling but period correct pot metal?

Is the neck plate blank? Serial #?

Are the tuners Gotoh or Ping repros, or are they Kluson? And if Kluson, single or double line?

Gray bottom pickups?

Are the pickups backwards like they are when you buy the Vintage 64's separately? (meaning they are North, but wound clock-wise whereas almost all other Fender pickups are North/CCW or South/CW)

I do see that the string "T" was changed. If you change that to a Fender brand, the package includes a metal spacer. It should be a white-ish nylon.

As for the Surf Green.... I bought a Performer body which has vintage bridge spacing, and an AllParts 62 neck. My goal is to make a 63 look alike... So all the minutiae are at the tip of my tongue. 20200521_105914~2.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

That’s quite the article. Thanks for the post. Really interesting.

To OP, really nice guitar. Wildwood gets some very nice stuff from Fender.

15. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

First of all, I'd like to say thanks for all of the congratulations and the kind words. I’ve been a tele player for 15 years, but this is my first “regular” tele. It’s funny the little things I’ve missed out on. For instance, the 3 way selector switch is much firmer than the 72 Custom’s (not to mention the location!)

I didn’t intend to start another nitro discussion, but I suppose I DID open that particular can of worms. Thanks to @Nick Fanis for the extraordinary link. Regarding the Fullerplast, would it be fair to say that Fender started using it for some guitars (i.e. custom colors) in the early sixties but didn’t fully switch over until 1968 (source below)? So it’s conceivable that a 64 telecaster in a standard color like this could have not had it?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/anyone-know-when-fender-started-using-poly.71927/

They really went all out on the small details, which is neat. I too like the patent number logo. They also included period correct accessories like a (very skinny) strap, cable, and reproductions of a vintage Telecaster & Esquire Instruction Manual and polishing cloth instructions (I kid you not). It came from the factory with modern wiring, but they included a capacitor and a diagram for vintage wiring.

Let me try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities:

-Knobs: “cheaper” metal

-Neck Plate: serial number only

-Tuners: excellent question. I think they’re Gotoh, but I can’t say for sure. The spec sheet says “Single Line ‘Fender Deluxe’ Vintage Style”. Here’s a closeup.

IMG_5596.jpg

-Pickups: A regular AV64 would have gray bottom pickups. But the Wildwood models come with Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickups instead.

-String Tree: Good eye! The original owner changed the string tree and the steel saddles. The stock ones were included in the sale and are nestled snugly in the case.

LPTyler and jfgesquire like this.
  16. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s a beautiful guitar.

17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Congratulations.

18. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Awesome Information!

You are better off with the pickups you got. The Vintage 64s are really different.

You are better off with the repro tuners. Kluson is just a name used by new company owners. Most repro tuners are better quality and those look nice with the single line "FENDER".

The knobs are correct. When I got them I thought "what the heck?!?? But apparently Fender went to pot (metal) when they went away from the domed knobs in the late 50s. Think of it as further weight reduction!

Customs and custom color Teles got the 3 ply pickguard while the standard colors still got the single ply....I don't know when that changed. Probably when they went to plastic instead of celluloid.

I was looking at your pics on my cell phone, I missed the compensated brass saddles, another good upgrade, as long as the originals stay in the case!

When I zoomed in to check out the saddles I noticed the switch tip was a barrel instead of a tophat. [emoji849] I won't tell anyone.

I also built a rosewood Tele, ala George Harrison, for my brother. It was a real pain sourcing that full patent number bridge. Take care of it!

I paired the Vintage reissue 64 bridge pickup with a Vintage reissue 62 neck pickup. Just like every other current Telecaster neck pickup, the 62 is north/counter-clock-wise, but the stupid 64s are north/clock-wise and therefore out of phase. Fortunately, I was able to flip the polarity of the bridge magnets and now I have rw/rp. Maybe that craziness with the 64s is why Wildwood units don't use that pickup?

Is the case a poodle plush interior or satin plush?

Oh man I wish I lived near one of those... I'm such a geek for useless trivia! 20190930_214221.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gorgeous!

20. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

AV’s from 2012 onwards had an all nitro sealer and coat. I think. And are basically what your wildwood thinskins are.

but im sure AVRI prior to 2012 all had poly sealer and nitro top coat.

Ive also been jonesing for those wildwood teles! Congrats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.